It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Potty Training Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cousincat
Newborn
Newborn

training - Potty Training Problem  Empty
PostSubject: Potty Training Problem    training - Potty Training Problem  EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 3:32 am

Soo, I feel like I'm getting no where and I don't know why this affects me so much but it does lol. Ive only had my 12 wk old husky for 2 days and I tried all today to potty train. She was doing good for about 5 hours during the day, but eventually this started happening. I would go outside to potty but she will not go no matter what. She will only sniff if I'm walking, but she's not even sniffing, just looking around. If I stop she will just sit down or even lay down and I don't want to pull the leash so I say her name in a high pitch to get her attention (not the point) anyway basically it doesn't matter how long I'm out there, she doesn't pee outside, but as soon as I bring her back inside after a failed attempt she pees ;-; in the Past hour I took her outside to pee (I was out there for 30 mins) and nothing so I went back inside but then she immediately started peeing. So I picked her up quickly and startled her mid way so she wasn't empty (or so I think idk) and take her outside. This time I'm adamant on her going no matter what so I stand out there for probably another 30 mins. She starts laying down a lot so I give up and take her inside. But then I go get a towel to clean up the pee from earlier and she's pooping ;_; I was just out for 30 mins and she poops right when indoors. I know the accidents are my fault, I just wanna know what I'm doing wrong please Sad
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Potty Training Problem    training - Potty Training Problem  EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 3:49 am

I can only tell you how I potty trained, but it worked. I don't think I ever just took my puppies outside to pee/poop until I would notice them start to do the sniffing around thing, then I'd rush them outside, to a certain area I wanted them to go in, and sure enough, they'd pee/poop. I'd praise them, bring them back in and give them a small treat. If there was a time I just thought it was time they needed to go, I'd say "let's go outside and go pee pee" and that's the *command* they listen to, to this day. In the morning, first thing on waking up, and just before bed. Any other time, they go out on their own.

When they need to go, the sniffing around thing is different than just being their curious selves and sniffing things, so it's pretty recognizable and key to getting them to know you want them to go outside, is to bring them out as fast as you can. Praise and a treat let them know something good comes out of doing what you wanted them to do. I don't think it took more than a week before Mishka (my girl) was telling me she needed out and my boy Kohdi was doing it pretty much immediately.
Back to top Go down
kelc
Newborn
Newborn
kelc

Female Join date : 2018-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Potty Training Problem    training - Potty Training Problem  EmptyMon Jan 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Cousincat wrote:
Soo, I feel like I'm getting no where and I don't know why this affects me so much but it does lol. Ive only had my 12 wk old husky for 2 days and I tried all today to potty train. She was doing good for about 5 hours during the day, but eventually this started happening. I would go outside to potty but she will not go no matter what. She will only sniff if I'm walking, but she's not even sniffing, just looking around. If I stop she will just sit down or even lay down and I don't want to pull the leash so I say her name in a high pitch to get her attention (not the point) anyway basically it doesn't matter how long I'm out there, she doesn't pee outside, but as soon as I bring her back inside after a failed attempt she pees ;-; in the Past hour I took her outside to pee (I was out there for 30 mins) and nothing so I went back inside but then she immediately started peeing. So I picked her up quickly and startled her mid way so she wasn't empty (or so I think idk) and take her outside. This time I'm adamant on her going no matter what so I stand out there for probably another 30 mins. She starts laying down a lot so I give up and take her inside. But then I go get a towel to clean up the pee from earlier and she's pooping ;_; I was just out for 30 mins and she poops right when indoors. I know the accidents are my fault, I just wanna know what I'm doing wrong please Sad

I have a 9 week old, that I have had for about 5 days, and this exact thing is what I am dealing with. I am trying to figure it out as well. I think our downfall may be the need to be more consistent with when they need to go out, and I know I need to learn her cues more often.
I just keep reminding myself she is basically an infant, and it will take time for us to learn to communicate what we need to each other.
Let me know if you figure out the tricks! Hang in there, I know how frustrating it is!
Back to top Go down
Rocky_Rhodes
Puppy
Puppy
Rocky_Rhodes

Male Join date : 2017-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Potty Training Problem    training - Potty Training Problem  EmptyMon Jan 29, 2018 6:52 pm

Puppy phase is a tough one; our 4-month old occasionally comes into the house after playing outside for several hours and then squats in the middle of the kitchen.....She is like, i had to go, so I went...

Back to top Go down
LannA89
Newborn
Newborn
LannA89

Female Join date : 2018-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Potty Training Problem    training - Potty Training Problem  EmptyTue Jan 30, 2018 11:55 am

With all of our puppies we have a bell that we keep on the doors that hang low enough so that they can let us know when they need to go out. We ring the bell on the way out and say potty and then take them outside. (this way they learn what the bell is used for) We let them do their business without being watched, though we used to have a fence and now have an invisible fence for our 3 acres.  Maybe try getting a lead with a yard tie until she able to pee when she needs to, that way she can go outside and explore more, rather than feel like she is being hovered over? Huskies can be stubborn. Also you can try getting a pee post to attract her to going outside.  If and when she does use the bathroom, praise her like crazy and give her a training treat. For her messes inside, I highly recommend "Nature's Miracle Enzyme Cleaner" to rid the house of the urine/poop smells and stains.  Good luck and try not to rush her, she will sense your stress. Very Happy  Hope it gets better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potty Training Problem    training - Potty Training Problem  Empty

Back to top Go down

Potty Training Problem

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1