It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pokepaws
Newborn
Newborn
pokepaws

I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  Empty
PostSubject: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm not sure how active these forums are anymore, signed up after I had another incident and really could do with some help!

I have a husky/malamute mix and he's now too strong for me to walk. Not only that, he's starting to cause himself huge health risks, no matter what harness, collar, halti you name it I get him, he backs out of it and shoots down the road. As soon as I open the door he bolts out, hurting my arm, and instantly backs out of whatever he's wearing and bolts off, even if I make him wait and calm him before going out of the door. Even if I manage to catch him and put it all back on, he pulls on the lead to the point I'm tripping over.
Because of the pulling I thought to get a halti, put it on him, attached it to the collar, had everything adjusted correctly, it almost seemed to work in the house he was walking about next to me and not tugging. Open the door, bolt > back up > escape and run.

I'm almost on my final straw. He's (Echo) is not my first or only dog, and I was well aware of the breeds habits and problems before I got him. But the issue now is it's unfair on him not to get the right amount of exercise he needs, and when he does go out, on the rare times I manage to by some miracle catch him before he escapes his restraints, it's a very stressful and un-enjoyable walk for us both.

I really need some advice on what to do. If I can get him to stop pulling like I'm a human sledge and bolting out the door like this He would be on long walks and hikes daily. I'm really worried that one day I'm going to try to walk him and he's going to get hit by a car or something and it breaks my heart. He's good as gold in every other aspect, it's only this :c

If anyone has any amount of advice I'm all ears, at this point I'm willing to try anything!
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, we are pretty active, except on weekends, so you should get some more advice later today or tomorrow. I do know some people use a goat head halter, it works for the extra strong extra large dogs that pull hard. That may be an option. The other option is to work with a trainer that understands martingales or prong collars so you can learn the proper way of using those types of collars, since if used improperly can harm the dog, but tend to also be the only device that can be used to control pulling. I have never heard of any dog slipping a goat halter, martingale, or prong when used properly.
Back to top Go down
DarkDiamond
Teenager
Teenager
DarkDiamond

Male Join date : 2014-11-02

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyMon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 am

With my two, I've had very good luck with prong collars. I want mine to pull, so it makes walking them easy. Without, it's impossible. They are way too strong.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyMon Feb 12, 2018 9:33 am

This site has invaluable information. Here's a start on prong collars:

https://thegooddog.net/training-videos/free-how-to-training-videos/learn-to-train-the-good-dog-way-intro-to-prong-collars-part-1/

https://thegooddog.net/training-videos/free-how-to-training-videos/learn-the-train-the-good-dog-way-intro-to-prong-collars-part-2/

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Misty Mia Husky
Teenager
Teenager
Misty Mia Husky

Female Join date : 2017-09-19

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyMon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

With prong collars, make sure you get a good-quality one so that you reduce the risk of it popping open and your dog escaping.  Even so, it's good to have a backup.  To walk Misty, we use a combination of a prong collar and a martingale collar (prong up high on the neck, martingale lower).  The leash is hooked to the prong while the martingale is hooked onto the leash's hook loop with a strong carabiner clip on a strap.  That way, if the prong collar pops open, the dog is still restrained by the martingale/carabiner clip.  There's a thread on this forum showing how it's done:

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t3638-prong-collar-popping-open?highlight=prong+collar

Misty's prong collar HAS popped open a couple of times since we started using the carabiner clip, but she hasn't gotten loose again -- the backup attachment worked. The last time the prong collar popped open, Misty didn't even notice. She just kept on walking calmly, like nothing had happened.
Back to top Go down
Randy Frame
Newborn
Newborn
Randy Frame

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am

Our boy walks on a gentle leader and it works wonders. The prong collars didn’t barely phase him at all. But my kids can walk him pretty easily.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Xei
Newborn
Newborn
Xei

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 am

Hey pokepaws,

I was in a similar situation as you with my Siberian Husky. The worst was when he broke through my gate, and I spent 30+ minutes—to the entertainment of my neighbors—trying to get him back in the yard.

I am long past those days, and it was thanks to two points.

1. I taught him what the word NO, means.

2. I purchased the Educator E-Collar https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RBDUTS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know some have issue with electric collars, but after working with Snowie, I am now at a point where he walks free with me. I rarely if ever need a leash anywhere. Even on busy roads, so long as he can hear my commands, I don’t have to worry. This particular collar has a vibrate function, so once you associate the word NO with a light shock (I would only use up to what I could tolerate on my bare skin) you can train any dog really to respond to just the vibrations. This of course depends on the breed/personality.

I now have both my dogs on this collar, and rarely, if ever, have to shock them. Vibration works to get their attention. Both are leash-less, and I have never had any close calls with cars, people, or other dogs.

If the E-Collar doesn’t sound like something you want to pursue, I can also recommend the Sprenger Chrome Plated Training Collar with Quick Release Snap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YUFMK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This was what I used before the E-Collar and never had any issues with it. Strong and easy to use, while also being capable of getting through a thick fur coat without any risk in cutting/digging into Snowie’s skin. Each of the prongs is plated and smooth.

Hope this helps,
Back to top Go down
sinolav
Newborn
Newborn
sinolav

Male Join date : 2014-01-28

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Our first Husky learned what stop, back, and no meant when I said the words. This took a while, but by the time she was about two years old, I would easily walk her, off leash! She was great, but it too a lot of work to get to that point, she was a struggle on leash the first two years. These breeds are very powerful.
Our new to us rescue Husky is only 50 pounds and can easily pull me off my feet!. I am still working her daily on our long walks in the woods to learn those three words mean, plus I am adding the word easy. I will be experimenting with a whistle. I have three types, and she does respond to one of them, where as our first Husky never responded to a whistle.
I am using a Kurgo harness and it works great at protecting Lola when she bolts at full speed and I don't move. I haven't tried the other types of harnesses, I want her to learn, not react to pain stimulus.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

E collar training is also helpful. I use a 2 dog educator mini system with my guys. Of you do go the prong collar route, tbd been surrender is the way to go...but I don't recommend the quick snap. Reports are the small can bees unreliable. Instead, I use an aftermarket modification with a side release buckle. You can find one at leashes by design.

http://www.leashesbydesign.com/ProngCollars/ProngCollars.html

The good dog training and rehabilitation side also has excellent videos on ecollar training.

Back to top Go down
Nicole Raslich
Newborn
Newborn
Nicole Raslich

Female Join date : 2016-12-02

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 3:39 pm

We have had great success with prong collars. It is the only way we can walk our younger male as he hurts both mine and my husbands shoulders and still in training. We used one with our girl and she did excellent, we only had to use it for about 3 years and now she is perfect on a leash.
Back to top Go down
th1921
Puppy
Puppy
th1921

Female Join date : 2015-07-07

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyTue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 pm

I'm a fan of prong collars.....walking with one full grown and one almost full grown was really almost dangerous with all of the pulling. There are lots of great videos on how to use them correctly....I watched the videos from Solid K9 Training and they were a lifesaver. http://solidk9training.com/
We all enjoy our walks now! Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
NovasHuman
Teenager
Teenager
NovasHuman

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyThu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 pm

My suggestion would be to find a trainer in your area to work with you on this problem, personally i would not go the prong collar route, it sounds like he is bolting out the door hitting the end of the leash and is off to the races because he has learned how to escape harnesses or collars. if hes on a prong, hes gonna bolt hit the end of the prong and depending on him and his personality you don't know what hes gonna do when he does that on a prong, he could hurt himself and/or you.

Do you have a fenced in backyard or any where that you can safely practice walking in and out of a door? If so, start in your home, practice getting him to sit and wait for you to walk through a doorway/door then call him through, get him to sit and stay while you close the door then start walking and call him to come with you, then high value reward for being a good boy (remember break this down to single steps and build up to the whole thing i.e. sit at door, stay sitting while you touch door handle or approach door, stay sitting while you open door) . Sometimes you have to convince them that whatever you have will be better than what else they are gonna get. Once yall have this down then practice at the safe door way and walking around your back yard, remember practice makes perfect and never get frustrated. If you get frustrated, end the session and try again later, frustration breaks down communication, and then its just every man for themselves. Also remember when switching from inside to outside, that the outside world is going to be a huge distraction so plan on him regressing at first, but if you practice a lot in the house, then it gives you a bunch of experience about what you want him to do and how he is suppose to behave.

I love head collars and use one for my own dog, but it directs them by the head so you definitely want the bolting behavior to be worked on before trying a halti, again you don't want him bolting and being yanked around by the head, that makes me worry about an injury. Like I said a good trainer, would be my first step, but I know that trainers are expensive!

Good luck and happy training!
Back to top Go down
Husky911
Puppy
Puppy
Husky911

Male Join date : 2017-03-30

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 10:35 am

Hi Pokepaws!

Echo has never really been terrible at walking on leash, he just gets excited when he sees other dogs and when he's close to the dog park.  While relatively minor things, it was getting un-enjoyable for both of us walking on leash as you mentioned in your first post.  While echo is probably not as bad as your case I still share your feelings.

Here's where I introduce the prong collar.  affraid

I used to scoff at the idea of it.  Developed a bad taste, and thoughts of inhumane treatment of animals with them on.  Then I got Echo.  I have tried collars, harnesses, halti, easy walks, gentle leaders, treats, changing directions, walk&sit, etc...Pronged collars were literally the last thing I thought I'd ever buy.  Then I did two weeks ago after being exhausted of getting monkey arms and busting my knee up after he pulled me super hard one day while running with him after he saw a dog while turning a corner.  I literally was dragged a couple of meters before I just gave up and let go of the leash =P

I couldn't be happier.  The results were instant.  If you get a good quality pronged collar (i.e. Herm Sprenger really is the only one that should ever be considered), The prongs aren't painful at all as much as it applies GENTLE PRESSURE around their neck to snap them out of their excitable state of mind.  I don't know if you've ever noticed your dog starting to wheeze or get super short of breath because he pulls so much, but that's how Echo would be with a collar at times.  With the pronged collar, I actually feel safer using it, because he doesn't pull so hard and I don't yank as much as to actually cause him respiratory distress anymore.

A lot of people ask me about it at the park, and when I describe everything that happens to my dog and that it really only applies GENTLE PRESSURE they rethink their mentality around using one after seeing my results with it on Echo.  While you can't convert everybody it also helps that huskies have such a thick coat so the collar gets lost in all that fur and people don't even realize that you have one on  Laughing.  At one point, pronged collars were banned from use in our city until officials realized how much they actually are used humanely by many people out there including respectable trainers and service animals to teach and control their animals.  

As people mention here though, you do have to size it properly on your dog.  high on the neck just behind the ears is where it should sit.  It should be tight enough that it doesn't move while walking with it, nor should it be able to slip over his head.  I've done both ways where it's low around his neck vs up high behind his ears and the results are very different.  He pulls just as much when it's low around his neck vs heeling with it up high around behind his ears where he responds to it with just a small amount of traction.  

If after this huge post you feel comfortable trying it out, you can find some for relatively cheap on Amazon and if you feel extra uncomfortable with it you can also buy some rubber tips to put on the end of the prongs for more comfort.  But I find it really unnecessary and defeats the purpose of it if you use it and size it appropriately on your dog.

Best of luck! Let us know what ends up working for you!
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Prong worked well for Lachlan. Haven't needed any corrections or had any yelps since the first 2 walks with it!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Another vote for the prong collar.
Correct use of the collar is not to snap it against the dog's neck.
His own motion against it causes the self correction.
It won't hurt the dog; the ends are blunt.
If you are worried, put it on your own neck and move against it.

My wife could not control Bodhi before the prong collar and he's a small husky of 53 lbs.
When she puts the prong collar on him, he walks politely next to her without pulling.
Back to top Go down
PollyR
Puppy
Puppy
PollyR

Female Join date : 2017-02-06

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 8:27 pm

The more I read about prong collars, the more i convince myself that it would be good for Mars and us--I think I am going to try it.
Back to top Go down
Windfishin
Puppy
Puppy
Windfishin

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  EmptyFri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 pm

I was thinking about this thread today on our walk. Lachlan is our only dog and he CRAVES the company of other dogs. Any dog he meets he wants to play with and pounce on. So when we pass another dog on leash he wants to lunge at the other dog and today this caused several self induced "corrections".

So in addition to helping with general leash pulling, I'm hoping he also learns not to lunge at every dog he passes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!    I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!  Empty

Back to top Go down

I can no longer walk my 1 year old husky, in urgent need of advice!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1