It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I need training tips!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sarainarenee
Newborn
Newborn

I need training tips! Empty
PostSubject: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyTue May 01, 2018 12:53 am

This little ball of fluff is driving me insane... I mean not all the time like 10% of the day she drives me nuts.. the other 90% shes just a loveable furrbaby.. I just got her a few days ago. She is 8 weeks old and shes a handful
so here are the things she does that I need help with. & I do completely understand that she is a puppy and these things are bound to happen.
1. Peeing and pooping wherever she pleases
2. Chewing anything and everything
3. Biting the heck out of me (even at my face) when she wants to play
I just want to know ways I can work with her and train her to no longer do these things as often as she does

I need training tips! 15251410
I need training tips! 15251411
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyTue May 01, 2018 2:38 am

Welcome to the forum! What a cute pup <3 Your first two questions can be handled some with leashing your puppy at all times attached to you or somewhere where you can grab her and attached to something that doesn't allow her to move far. This way you know what items she can have and you can pick up cues on when she has to potty. If this can't happen, then she needs to be crated.

As far as number 3......start hand feeding, it will help her understand how to be gentle. When hand feeding sit with her at her level palm up talk gently and give a command to take the food, if she gets mouthy do a simple eheh be gentle, when she is gentle praise verbally. The other half of curbing mouthiness is tiring them out. Play games at her level, however you have to start and end the game not her. Since you are limited on taking her places find a small safe space to start leash training and command training. A tired husky puppy is a good husky puppy Smile
Back to top Go down
Sarainarenee
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyTue May 01, 2018 7:07 am

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the tips.. she doesn’t even let me sleep at night because of all her energy.. I will tire her out and she will go to sleep for about 2 hours and next thing you know she’s biting my face and pulling my hair to wake me up 😪

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyTue May 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Hahahaha, yep that's what happens with high drive pups. It will be a time for lack of sleep for a couple of months, but eventually they slow down a tad and understand that we need our sleep. Smile I use the word bed time and prior to that potty before bedtime to cue my two on time to settle and sleep or at least be quiet hahahaha. So you may want to pick something and stick with it as a cue for quiet sleepy time, so eventually she will get it. They don't stay little for long, so yea it is rough at the moment, it will get better.
Back to top Go down
Sarainarenee
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyWed May 02, 2018 10:31 pm

What about tips for puppy pad training?
She’s only about 9 weeks and I don’t want to take her outside until I know she can’t get sick. She tends to pee on the pads most of the time but I can’t get her to poop on the pads at all.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyThu May 03, 2018 11:08 am

Puppy pads are about the worst thing you can use - in my opinion - you're teaching the puppy to do something that in a short time you're NOT going to want her to do, that's eliminate in the house.

But you don't tell us much of anything about yourself or where you live ... and it's difficult to make more than general suggestions in that case.  Your pictures show an urban environment - are we to assume that's where you live?  Is it in an apartment complex with lots of other dogs, in which case your concerns about her catching something are significant - or - are you in a house with a back yard, in which case she's less apt to come in contact with a bug.

I can say (I did say) that puppy pads are a really bad way to train your pup.  It tends to give them permission to not 'request' to go out but to find someplace that you seem to have approved to 'do their business' which is *NOT* what you'll want her to do in a month.

My other comment is that you should crate train her.  Okay, that sounds 'cruel' to a lot of people, but do you really want you 60 pound dog pouncing on you in the morning??  Do you want to come home and find that she's chewed on a speaker wire or worse an electrical wire?  Crates are used by a lot of us for the dogs protection.  The crate is her safe place when you can't be right there to keep her safe.

Last comment - Train your puppy to be the dog you want her to become!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyThu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm

aljones wrote:

My other comment is that you should crate train her.  Okay, that sounds 'cruel' to a lot of people, but do you really want you 60 pound dog pouncing on you in the morning??  [/i]

Al - I am laughing outrageously. Yesterday morning, while Wayne was sleeping, I went out with the dogs. Came back in, he's still sleeping and the dogs seem settled...wrong! Ami was insistently woo'in his desire to check in with Dad. Finally, I figured no way was Wayne still asleep and opened the door for the pooches. Both dogs went flying in - Ami with a big leap into Wayne's mid-section and Z'ev talking his head of beside the bed, waiting for his morning scratch.

Wayne later said he didn't know what was going on, just this big weight on his abdomen...
Back to top Go down
Sarainarenee
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! EmptyThu May 03, 2018 11:25 pm

Okay so I do live in a house but there is no back yard. My puppy is only 9 weeks old so as of right now I don’t want her to be going outside. I don’t want to risk her getting sick AT ALL. She has her first and second set of shots but still needs the next two. I’m not sure if I’m just being over protective. But I just feel more comfortable at least getting her to go on pads until I feel safe taking her potty outside.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need training tips!   I need training tips! Empty

Back to top Go down

I need training tips!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1