It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Having trouble finding right food...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MyBoyMeeko
Newborn
Newborn
MyBoyMeeko

food - Having trouble finding right food... Empty
PostSubject: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello all!
So I'm having a lot of trouble finding a food high in fat and also high in protein for my overly high energy husky pups. I have 2 that are litter mates and 10 months old. They look very thin, almost too thin, but they do eat CONSTANTLY! (And also have terrible gas!) I'm just wondering what everyone else feeds their husky pups to get some ideas/suggestions to look into.
I appreciate your time!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 12:51 pm

First of all, 10 month old huskies are scrawny. They have most their height have to fill out. Think 15 year old boys all skin and bones.

You might try a taste of the wild or victor puppy food for the next 2 months than to adult food. I like either TOTW High Prairie or Victor Hi Pro plus.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 2:24 pm

What do you currently feed so we can get a comparison going on how they are doing with their current ratios. Something in it must be not settling well if they have very bad gas. Could be many things. Solid Gold is higher protein and higher fat. If you have unlimited funds ZiwiPeak is high protein, high fat as well. Victor that Amy mentioned is a higher protein/fat food. TOTW, 4Health and ProPac are more standard levels of fat but depending on what you currently feed they may be higher.

Newborn
Newborn
MyBoyMeeko

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 2:36 pm

We've been using TOTW high prairie for about 4 months now. Started on Orijen large puppy, and feeding 2 large growing hyper dogs, that got very expensive very quickly so we tried a cheaper alternative. But with both foods, my poor girl just can't catch a break with the gas. She has so much that I know it's impossible for her not to have very bad tummy pains. But I've been looking into Victor Hi Pro Plus and other types by Victor over the last month or so, just hesitant to make the switch because I've never heard of it before and haven't heard any good or bad experiences to judge either way on it.
Both of my poor babies look so scrawny and I've had people stop me and ask why they're so skinny for huskies. They dont look underfed, but just thin. They eat about 4-6 cups a day between the two of them. My Male is about 70 lbs and my female is about 40 lbs (yes he is 70 lbs before even filling out yet...lol)
I've also had my eyes on the Solid gold Barking at the moon, but with the price for only a 24 lb bag, I know I'll be right back to spending over $150 a month in dog food. But if it comes time that I try it and that's the one that works than I'll make the budget work too.
Back to top Go down
MyBoyMeeko
Newborn
Newborn
MyBoyMeeko

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 2:39 pm

And I just wanted to say that you guys are always so awesome with all your advices and insights! It's so greatly appreciated! I don't know any other husky fur parents in my area or that I personally associate with so it's really nice being able to discuss with others who understand the husky life!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 3:20 pm

I switched the victor I realized I could at local supply store and, being a 40 pounds and higher calories per cup, actually cost me less than the tote. Very happy with the change. One bag lasts 2 months with 2 dogs and occasional visiting grandpuppy.
Back to top Go down
MyBoyMeeko
Newborn
Newborn
MyBoyMeeko

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 7:59 pm

I went into our local feed store and found out that they just started carrying Victor this week! So I got a bag of the Nutra Pro and we're going to give it a try and hope for the best. It's a real pain transitioning dog foods and then only being on it for a few months and having to transition again, so I'm praying we have a winner! (And if I'm really lucky maybe it'll even work for both of them!)
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 8:40 pm

I am wondering if you may be over feeding and that is what the tummy issues are? If you are feeding once a day, I might would cut back some on how much and feed twice a day. If feeding twice a day, I still would cut back on the food and still feed twice a day. How much are they pooping? How are their poops, nice and well formed? Huskies in general eat 20-25% less than other breeds. Most here, and we do feed different foods, feed between 1-2 cups daily. At 10 months old they are very close to being fully grown. I would opt at feeding less with more calories. Victor is an excellent food, high quality at a good price if you can get it. It is higher calorie as well and that may help in their hunger woes. Keep us updated. Many tend to be quite lean until around 3 years of age. Good luck with Victor Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Having trouble finding right food...   food - Having trouble finding right food... Empty

Back to top Go down

Having trouble finding right food...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1