It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
srp
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2018-11-06

husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Empty
PostSubject: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 4:51 pm

husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Img_1910
husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Img_1911
husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Img_1912

He is 17 weeks old.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Not a wooly. While there is some length near the ears woolies are long all over. Doesn't really look plush to me either in some pictures. Just looks like a standard coat with some cowlicks in the last two pictures. First picture might lean toward a plush. Once he makes the swap to his adult coat it will be easier to say one way or another. Some of that length around the face might shed out as he ages. I have a male that has slightly longer than standard hair but he's not wooly or plush. He's also got cowlicks on his hind legs that give a funny look.

Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Definitely not a wooly. Id say probably a plush but genetics will determine just how plush.

My boy, Kohdi, is very plush, this is a pic of him at 4 months (16 weeks) which is about the same age of your pup in his pics, Kohdi's coat doesn't look "fluffy" yet but does look uniformly plush, but a bit different than your pup.
husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Image148
Back to top Go down
dmarq33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: What kind of coat does my husky have?   husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyThu Jan 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Hello-

This is my first post but was curious if anyone can tell me about my dogs coats. I have a black and white one named Dakota who is bi-eyed and split-eyed who is 15 months old and I also a red and white one named Nova who is 5 months old that has all blue eyes. I was curious if anyone can tell me what kind of coat Nova has and also when I should expect Nova to lose all of her puppy hair. Currently Nova has longer hair running down her back and was wondering if that is the beginning of her adult coat growing in.

I did not pay attention to Dakotas coat growing so I do not remember how hers grew in. Please see the pictures I posted and let me know. Thanks everyone!

husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Screen10
husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  20181119
husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  20181120

Last edited by dmarq33 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:59 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Pictures)
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 2:47 am

Nova looks like she will be somewhat plush. I've had huskies my entire life and honestly, I couldn't tell you when the puppy coat was lost in any of them, I just noticed the gradual thickening of the coat along with the phases of color/marking changes.

Beautiful pups! Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
dmarq33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 2:54 am

Thanks for the input. Right now her fur is starting to thicken up and it was different then when she was a young puppy. I have people tel I'll me all the time that Nova is a better looking dog than Dakota, but don't tell her that.

Nova's tip of the tail though feels a little coarse but am hoping that goes away with age. My kids cut the tip of the fur on Dakotas tail and it took months for it to fill back in.. Ugh
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 3:07 am

Dakota is very pretty. Her split eye you mentioned is probably a parti eye, my boy Kohdi has one.

Brushing the tail helps soften its feel but a Huskies coat is somewhat coarse on top, it's mild though.

When I was a kid, my parents got me a Malamute puppy, and his tail tip had like 3 straggly white hairs and I told my mom I was just gonna cut them off because it looked so ridiculous, she said "don't you dare", lol, and I'm glad I listened because those 3 hairs turned into a luxurious full white tip that just looked so pretty.
Back to top Go down
dmarq33
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 3:13 am

Dakota has one blue eye and the other is 75% brown and 25% blue. Its weird. She originally had all blue eyes as a puppy but started changing at around 8-10 weeks old.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 3:45 am

This is my boy, Kohdi. I'd say his parti-eye is a 50/50 split. I knew he had a parti-eye before I picked him up from the breeder but upon picking him up, at 9 weeks old, the breeder mentioned it appeared to her his other eye may become a parti eye as well. It didn't but it does appear it started too. If you look closely, his "brown" eye is lighter than the brown in his parti-eye, it's almost a goldish color. So he has one go,d eye, and one eye split between brown and blue. Looks crazy sometimes in pics (especially since his expressions can enhance that crazy look, lol) but in person, people are mesmerized by his eyes. Anyways, I've read a Huskies eyes can change color up to a year old (although I've never actually experienced that in any of my huskies) but I do believe it's more common that if they are going to change at all, it happens within the first 4 months or so.

husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Image150
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 am

Second picture looks like you may not be far away from having a shed off. My red female lightens, gets plushier, and then poof all the plush blows off. Looks more standard coat to me, just getting closer to being time to blow. Won't really know until the swap over happens.

Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2018-11-06

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptySat Jan 19, 2019 11:23 am

Thank you all for the input! Cursor has grown a ton since early November and has revealed the more standard coat as he's gotten older. Interesting how that changes overtime.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

Female Join date : 2013-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 12:33 am

This is our newest addition! He'll be 3 months on the 27th. Does he look to be a woolly or to have some woolly traits? I know his coat might possibly change as he ages but I was just curious. I know he's definitely fluffier/curvier lol  looking than my Husky Lucian was at his age. Thanks in advance for y'alls wisdom!!

Last edited by HuskyAvalanche on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 12:38 am

No pictures.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 12:49 am

Sorry I didn't let upload. 🙄husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Img_2010
husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Img_2011
husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Img_2012
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Definitely a suggestion of potential wooly around the ears and on the first picture showing longer hair on the backs of front legs. But the rest of the pictures don't show abnormally long hair on either the legs or the belly and the tail definitely looks normal coat. It is possible that you may have a partially expressed wooly gene. Or even surprise with full wooly coat. Still to early to say but I definitely would not rule out the possibility yet.
Back to top Go down
HuskyAvalanche
Puppy
Puppy
HuskyAvalanche

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 1:37 pm

Okay thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)    husky - What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)  Empty

Back to top Go down

What kind of coat does my husky have? (Woolly, or plush)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1