It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Skijoring advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

Skijoring advice Empty
PostSubject: Skijoring advice   Skijoring advice EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:00 pm

So I finally got a pair of XC skis to try skijoring with the dogs. Any advice?? Have not yet ordered harnesses. My main concern is Jasmine’s age..I would say we will take it easy. I really wish I would have done this sooner. Jasmine will be 11 in March and Barney will be 7. To be honest, they are both in superb health. Believe it or not I have seen NO signs of arthritis in Jasmine. We typically jog a mile and walk 2.5 at least 5 days a week. Every year our vet goes on and on about how healthy she is and he can’t believe she is old as she is. I think it’s doable if I take it easy. I have started them both on glucosamine supplements. I’m yet to order harnesses so if anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Skijoring advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring advice   Skijoring advice EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Starting on the supplement should help, but mostly as long as you aren't pushing it, start slow and work up to the longer distances you will likely be fine. A lot of us here have the ruffwear harnesses and like them. Think their styles have changed a bit though so would have to see what styles are out now.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Skijoring advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring advice   Skijoring advice EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 2:27 pm

I have the ruffwear skijoring harnesses but belts and lines from adanac, http://www.adanacsleds.com/

i practice commands and turns when im on our daily walks to have them prepared for when we go out, it has been over a yr since i have taken Jack out, not much snow last winter.
i took XC lessons after the first time trying it with the dogs, i thought since i have skied how much harder would XC be and with dogs, i was really WRONG! i hurt for a long time! so practice with just your self first on the skis and see how it goes before hooking 2 dogs up to you!
i know here in CO there are clubs you can take classes with for skijoring.

Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

Skijoring advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring advice   Skijoring advice EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skijoring advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skijoring advice   Skijoring advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Skijoring advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1