It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Potty training advice.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

Potty training advice.   Empty
PostSubject: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 12:21 am

My pup has suddenly started going in the house. I take her outside 20 times a day. Just today i took her out twice in 15 mins, she poops and pees and not 5 mins later pees on the rug. Been like this for a week. Any advice? She was doing so well before this
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 am

Two things come to mind quickly:
1) She has a uti which is causing bladder problems, a vet check might be in order.
2) She's teething - going from puppy teeth to adult teeth - that will throw off a lot of behaviours.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks, forgot to mention shes three months old .i should also mention she mainly poops in the house. Yesterday was first time she peed but will watch. She is due her next round of shots soon will ask vet

Last edited by rossingersoll on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 11:41 am

One other question, i currently just leave out her food until she eats it but have read you should only make the food available for 20 mins or so and lift it until next meal time. Good idea for a puppy or no?
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 12:20 pm

If she eats at the same predictable times each day, she will tend to poop at the same times each day...it may help you to anticipate her “poop times”and make sure she has Outside time around then.

( And if she poops outside, reward her a lot and act really happy, so she knows she did the best thing ever! )
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 12:24 pm

I do that now. I wasnt exaggerating when i said i take her out at least 20 times a day . the whole thing is perplexing. First month i had her she never pooped in the house, even gave me clues she needed to go out. All of a sudden last week she has went poop in house almost daily.

Odd thing is, its only in living room or hallway. I dont use a cage for sleeping and she sleeps on my floor in my room and she never soils in my bedroom
Perhaps she has too much freedom. My mother lives here also. The pup never goes in house when im in the room with her but will do it right in front of my mother
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Leaving food out is a personal preference - of both you and the dog. Some dogs - especially those who are single dogs - do fine when you 'free feed.' Some however seem to think that you're never going to feed them again so they eat as much as they can, as quickly as they can.
If she just grazes, taking a kibble now and again and there's no competition for her food so you know how much she's really eating the free feeding is fine. If she's eating everything you put down (how much are you feeding her, btw?) then she's apt to gain too much weight.
In my case, for example I have one who did fine with free feeding until I added my third dog and now two out of the three guard their food and eat it all quickly so it's become more reasonable to have scheduled feeding times and places.

Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 1:03 pm

little over two cups a day total. thats what the breeder told me so i did it. she had me feeding twice a day but my vet suggested 3 times a day but same amount so a couple days after i got her i switched to 3 times a day.  neither food guard. the few times the pup started eating the others food, he just ignored it

I have another dog in the house, its a 15 year old poodle and the odd thing, my pup loves his food, i have to put it up just so  the pup doesnt eat it

I will say im not exact when feeding her so could be over feeding. I will start using measuring cup and be exact from here on out

edit to answer your how much is she eating question, its too little, she never completely finishes her meal before next feeding time and a couple times doesnt hardly touch it before its feeding time again
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 pm

The whole potty training has me baffled. Ive trained her to sit, stay, shake, lay down, speak and fetch. Each thing taking a day to learn for the most part so shes a smart girl yet having issues with potty training

Someone suggested cage training her but seems extreme to keep her caged most of the day
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Time to contain her when you're not able to watch her. And schedule her feedings. For containment, either crate, tether her to you or to a sturdy table leg, chair etc or use baby gates to confine to small area. Scheduling her feedings and removing her food after 20 minutes may, in fact, have her eating more, not less, if she knows the food is going to disappear.

Also - to get rid of smells that only she can detect, use an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. That way, she won't have a trigger for pooping in a certain area.

My son went through hell and back potty training his pup a few years ago (I told him - get an adult dog, his work schedule was too intense. Did he listen...sorry, could not resist lol! ) Dog is not 5 years old and no issues with potty since about 8 months old.
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Will do. Thanks. Just ordered that natures miricle. Will be here monday
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Crate training isn't as extreme as a lot of people seem to make it out to be. Let's go for a scenario ... you have to go out, pup has to stay home - pup decides that the cables running from your computer (which probably smell like your hands) are good chew toys. MOST of those cables aren't going to do anything till she hits the power cable. 110v is not nice to a puppy. By crate training her and using the crate when you can't supervise is the best protection you can provide her.
Alternatively, as in your situation, most puppies won't eliminate where they live. If they have the choice, they'll hold it till they can get out assuming that you train her that she'll get to go out as soon as you let her out of the crate. (( this also assumes that you use a divider so that she has just enough room in the crate to stand/sit/lay down ))
I have two who are crate trained, though I seldom use them now since both dogs have figured out what it is I'm expecting.
Crates - and these aren't cages!! - when used properly can be your best friend! There are several threads about introducing a puppy to a crate so that it becomes their home / den / safe place.

Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Im talking about potty training via the crate as in keeping her in it, letting her out for 30 mins if she goes outside and then back in crate.  Not the normal crate stuff for when someone cant watch the pup. that is extreme in my view
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 12:33 am

Hmmm... I think I stepped on someone toes and if I did I'm sorry.

I wish someone else would chime in here since I'm going to put my foot right in it.

Many of us use our crates - after training the dog to accept it as his home - for times when we can't be right there. And, in my opinion, there's nothing extreme about that. Some of us have to work away from home so our pups spend much of their day dozing in their crates and are let out about as soon as we return home. One of mine is not dependable so she gets crated when I have to leave the house - and I see nothing extreme in that. She's let out as soon as I get back and is a happy-go-lucky then as she is before I left.

The way I read your last message - and I really hope I read it wrong - is that you want to try to teach her to hold it, in the crate until you decide to let her go out - rather than trying to learn what it is that she's telling you and every dog has its own way of telling their master that they need out. My Alaskan simply goes and sets by the door; Sasha goes back and froth from me to the door - until she decides she's got to talk to me about it!;Sky is my hardest read since she tends to wander around, kitchen, living room, me, her crate, kitchen --- Oh, she's talking to me!!!

Crates are really great tools, they give the dog security; when any of mine are in their crates I leave them alone they've gone into their crates willingly because they want a nap or they want out of the hustle and bustle of the other two. For my two who are crated, their crate is their den, their home and neither of them object when I say "Crate!" when I'm going out.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 am

Al - I started to respond but then thought, why bother? She seems pretty set in her thoughts. It's a real chore for me to put in any kind of detailed response on my phone.

Josh kept complaining when Archer was a pup. Would call me every few days wailing..."Mom, Archer... Poured pee'd on the new rug, Archer chewed up my phone charger, Archer are another sock etc etc etc. Each time, I did the same thing. Just as I outlined above. Finally followed my suggestions, turned things around and then, as Archer matured, earned more privileges, more freedom.

Crating is a valuable tool. And not extreme. We don't use crate for Ami anymore. Z'ev is crated at night so he doesn't have to be eat his muzzle. When Ami comes in at night, after his bone, he squeezes himself into Z'ev's crate and status there until I entice him out with his midnight kibble treat. The most significant thing I've noticed, when I'm not directly involved with the dogs, even if c they're outside, they're usually sleeping.

To my mind, a crate is a safe place to be. They can't chew on wires, eat a sock,a couch... Open a door or dive through a window. Introduced properly, a crate becomes a safe happy place.
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 12:22 pm

You most certainly didnt step on any toes. My comment was over the fact i was given a suggestion by someone ( not from this forum)that i should keep the pup in a crate around the clock except when shes outside until she is trained. That is what i view as extreme. I dont find crate use as a whole extreme at all. Nothing wrong with crates, i just dont like them. Unless im not home

Btw, im not a she lol

Last edited by rossingersoll on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 pm

I think i may have found the culprit. She appears to be sick. Perhaps thats why. Yesterday she started puking. 4 times in five minutes , plus lately she randomly yelps in the past few days. I called animal clinic but they didnt seem concerned. Im going to see the vet monday because something seems off. Shes not used potty at all today and shes usually a poop machine. I have just been feeding her boneless chicken .
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Good luck getting this sorted out. A little worrisome about yelping and puking.

I've heard (and experienced) that it's common for puppies to get some sort of bacteria. Both of our huskies had tons of worms when they were young. Some medication cleared that right up. Our Aussie had some sort of bacteria.

I would change her diet to be boiled rice and boneless chicken (boil both) for the time being. Could also add some canned pumpkin (the 100% pure pumpkin, not the pie filling).
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks. Shes not puked since but did yelp once . shes going potty now as well. Shes had her shots but shall see if she picked anuthing up. Shes not been around any other animals except the poodle but who knows. The yelping is like once a day, it freaks me out so want to get it looked at although i think the yelping yesterday was due to her puking. She yelped just before doing it all 4 times she puked. Think the feeling scared her. Shes not puked before

Shes teething now, im hoping its something minor like that. Shes usually chewing on a toy when it has happened
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Not sure what shots she's been given, but unless she was wormed, I'd probably do that too. The Vet can recommend the correct medicine/ dosage etc. I've heard that you can check for worms in their poop, but I don't remember seeing any until we gave them worm medicine. Then it was OMFG! when they pooped. I had never seen worms in poop to that extent. I felt awful knowing they had all those worms in their system.

If she's got diarrhea, then it's probably good to give her something for bacteria too.
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 8:37 am

Thanks, i started her on that worm pill a month ago
Ive been watching her poop. Little soft but normal otherwise
Back to top Go down
rossingersoll
Puppy
Puppy
rossingersoll

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 12:56 pm

She does seem to have a green hue to some of her stool so taking her in to be safe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Potty training advice.    Potty training advice.   Empty

Back to top Go down

Potty training advice.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1