It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Draco14
Newborn
Newborn

puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  Empty
PostSubject: introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..    puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello everyone  bounce  

So, I brought Draco home this past Sunday (he'll be turning 7 wks on Thurs.) - I was hoping to pick him up at 8 wks but friends mom who had been taking care of litter got sick and asked me if I can pick him up earlier  Shocked

Anyways, friends mom had been feeding him cooked rice and mixing it with cooked rotisserie chicken confused along with BLUE Wilderness Chicken for puppies as free eating throughout the day. I picked him up Sunday afternoon and since I wanted to put him on a raw meat diet (after extensive research) the next day I skipped his last evening meal.

I had meal prepped for the next 2 days as follows:

- chicken heart & chicken gizzard (not mixed, for different days)
- chicken feet
- chicken liver, and
- pork kidney, to follow 80/10/5/5 PMR diet, respectively.
- In addition, quail egg (just one per day) and mackerel (1oz/35lbs).

Morning morning and I was happy to feed him but he wasn't interested in the least bit so I tried hand feeding him to encourage him but that didn't work out too well with the muscle meat nor the organs. He did enjoy the quail egg (shell and all) and the mackerel (besides the skin) as well as the chicken feet, however, he has trouble biting/pulling apart the skin so he just gnaws at it. I've tried freezing it and he would eat like one or two hearts but stop thereafter. Saved it for later and early in the afternoon, no bite besides one or two, again. I should mention that I got a bit scared/worried because with the few bits that he managed to eat (took a lot of convincing), because right after his body/stomach began going into convulsions for a few minutes affraid  Is this normal for puppies being introduced to raw meat diet "cold turkey?" Figured his digestive system was going into a shock since it wasn't used to it.

Well, it is not late afternoon/early evening and I'm getting worried that he isn't eating properly so I caved in and served him 1/3 cup of the kibble he was free-eating before - he gobbled it up like nothing! I felt a bit better knowing that he had something in his system. However, last night as we were getting ready to go to sleep, he managed to puke all the kibble food he ate earlier in the day - they were still in the kibble shape so I'm assuming it didn't even get digested in his system (?) or because it was mixed with the raw meat.

This morning tried again with the raw meat plan but same as the day before. Should I continue with the raw meat diet? or switch him to kibble? Mix raw w/ kibble? I was thinking of making him a bone broth and pouring it over the meat to entice him.

Any help or tips from experienced owners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FYI, he's 9.5 lbs and hasn't gotten his vaccines yet (going on Sunday to Petco to get that done). puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  20190311
puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  20190310
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  Empty
PostSubject: Re: introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..    puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Aside from puking how is everything else is his poop normal? Temperment normal as in not depressed or listless and is he drinking water and holding that down. Idunno about the switch to raw but i do know at that age parvo is a huge worry and if he wont hold down water he needs to go the vet asap
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..    puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 2:44 pm

It can take a bit for them to figure out how to eat raw. Easier if you can grind it up. You may have an easier time starting with a dehydrated raw to make sure he's getting his balance and phase in small chunks at a time for the transition. If he's having a hard time chewing parts then likely he gets a little choked up on the raw and it will make him jittery as he tries to readjust it internally.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..    puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  EmptyTue Apr 02, 2019 2:58 pm

On the ride home (2 hr drive) his poop was soft but still stiff to retain shape. When he arrived home his stool was runny. Monday, he didn't poop much but the little that he did was soft/firm (similar to drive home). Temperature seems to be fine. He hasn't been drinking much water which has me a bit worried but been peeing quite frequently though. Temperment seems to be fine.. i mean, he's very playful and enthusiastic. Although, he gets a bit depressed and goes into the corner of his playden bed and hides his face when I try to feed him and he doesn't budge (which I'll then leave him alone).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..    puppy - introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..  Empty

Back to top Go down

introducing raw meat diet to 6-7 wk old puppy but not stomaching it well..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1