It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

52 weeks of Kona

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

Male Join date : 2019-01-04

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyFri May 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Hoping it's OK, I'm planning to use this as a photo thread and a loose journal.
Pictures coming soon!

PICK UP DAY

In July of 2018, we lost Macie - our dachsund / sneaky neighbor dog mix. It was a long battle with diabetes; she passed at home, on her favorite couch cushion.

August 2018
We took a family trip to our local animal shelter to get a new dog. We had discussed the dog we were looking for: 20-40 pounds, good disposition, house trained.

We looked at a few dogs - passing by a large red husky a few times; when we finally stopped to check him out, he was studying us as much as we were him.

He was larger than our criteria by a long shot but still underweight (ribs slightly visible), scraggly coat, and the icing on the cake was the cone of shame around his neck.

Through the fence, he seemed nice - leaned on the fence for a scratch. His amber eyes still sizing us up.
In the pen, he was a bit aloof - more interested in his surroundings than us, although he was friendly when we approached him.

After a bit of discussion, we signed the papers for a 62 pound red husky. His shelter name was Rocky, but that didn't work for us so we named him Kona.

More to come...
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptySat May 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Here's a couple recent shots:

I Fit!
52 weeks of Kona Kona_i13

This is one of our morning tracks - really serene and we usually have the streets to ourselves so it's a good time to train.
52 weeks of Kona Thumbn13
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptySat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm

That 'I fit!' picture is great but I'd have to have tagged it "... almost!"

Thanks for rescuing that boy, it looks like he's made himself right at home with a good home!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 12:19 pm

A few more Kona shots:

"Hey Dad - we're out of treats!"
52 weeks of Kona Kona_o10

Found you!
52 weeks of Kona Kona_h10

Kona on one of our walks - this shot was taken a week or two after we got him.
52 weeks of Kona Kona_111
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyFri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 pm

I thought this one needed a bit of background - A few months ago my Wife injured her hand. It's left her with constant pain that ranges from tolerable to horrible.

Kona will frequently lay down with her, but the way he has his arm out to touch her is really touching.
52 weeks of Kona Kona_c10
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 11:43 am

52 weeks of Kona Kona_s12
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyWed Jun 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Hope your wife heals quickly. It's amazing how dogs can pick up on things like that.

Great sunset pic.
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 7:38 pm

It really is amazing how Kona has modified his behavior according to who he is with.
He and I can wrestle full bore, but if she sticks the injured hand near him he instantly stops - sometimes just freezing in place till she moves.
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptySun Jun 30, 2019 11:32 pm

June gloom and low tide. He loves walking on a long line (30ft of line) on these mornings.
52 weeks of Kona 20190610
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyMon Jul 01, 2019 12:11 am

I wish this forum had a Like button but anyway, Like!

PS
I hope your wife’s hand is feeling better. That is so sweet that Kona understands. My dog is very reserved, but when I had the flu, he came and laid beside me and licked my hand. So totally unlike his usual restrained self! Dogs understand...
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 pm

"Restrained" - there's a word that Kona is unfamiliar with!

Thank you - it's been tough.
Amazing how much he can sense about us!
Back to top Go down
dvflyer
Adult
Adult

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyWed Jul 03, 2019 11:53 pm

Kona_18 wrote:
June gloom and low tide. He loves walking on a long line (30ft of line) on these mornings.

Is that part of the 30ft line connected to the harness or is that the leash and then the other line is connected to the leash? I only ask because, if that's the 30ft line, it's really nice looking and I want one! Smile
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 am

Unfortunately, the black line just his leash. The 30ft line is from a fishing boat that was replacing its lines.

Currently I just hank it to the leash; but I'm going to be attaching a shackle to the rope so I can secure it directly to the harness.

I'm also thinking a snubber / shock stopper would be a good idea - Kona hit the end of the line at full speed a few weeks ago and really jarred both of us.
Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 1:42 pm

We've found that Kona is very much a pack dog. Since adopting him, he's managed to make friends with Latte' (our 17-18 yr old, toothless pomeranian), but other than occasional sniffs and lots of chasing, Kona has not managed to make inroads with Gibby (3 yr old cat) - until last night...
52 weeks of Kona Kona_g10

Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyThu Jul 25, 2019 11:05 am

And a shot of older brother Latte' - our 17yr old, blind, toothless, epileptic Pom.

Latte' is clearly the alpha inside the house and he (thinks he) rules the bed with an iron fist!
Outside - Latte' sticks by Kona's side. I think he feels protected by the big dog!

Kona ignores the aggression, but tries to groom him.

52 weeks of Kona 20190712

Back to top Go down
Kona_18
Puppy
Puppy
Kona_18

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Kelly's Dad moved in with us a few months ago. Initially, we were worried about how he & Kona would get along...they adore each other!
52 weeks of Kona 20190810

We spotted him under the table relaxing like this. I looked there after he moved - there are no tooth marks where he was!

52 weeks of Kona 20190811
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

52 weeks of Kona Empty
PostSubject: Re: 52 weeks of Kona   52 weeks of Kona Empty

Back to top Go down

52 weeks of Kona

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1