It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy Snapping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dakotatheruffsky
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2019-07-07

puppy - Puppy Snapping Empty
PostSubject: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 2:13 am

My 2.4 month old husky puppy Dakota has a biting problem. She’s so young and I’m just very confused of what’s going on. I know the difference between puppy teething and this is different. Once she has a paper or item that she cannot have she will quickly turn around and snap at my hand when I try to get the paper. The face she gives me is pure growing and showing teeth. She is puppy pad and outside trained she lives inside with me and she sleeps in her create. I got her a kong to play with before bed so she can have something to play with before bed. She also will growl when I try to pick her up or try to touch her too often. I’m not sure if she’s just not liking me touching her or is this aggression. Please if anyone knows how to help please let me know thank you so much. puppy - Puppy Snapping 55aec210
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 10:08 am

I don't think your pup is "aggressive" but I do think your pup is communicating...she is telling you what she doesn't like. She doesn't like it when you take things from her, and she doesn't like too much physical handling.

Growling when you take her item, is the beginnings of "resource guarding"...You may want to train a "Drop It" or "Leave It" command and try trading...i.e. give her a bit of cheese or chicken and praise her when she obeys your command and drops the item she is holding in her mouth. I'd try to not just grab things from her by force, since she seems to mind. Not all dogs do, but it seems like she is pretty possessive.

Growling when you handle her...maybe she doesn't like being picked up and held, and wants to be treated more respectfully like a "big dog"? Are you hugging her (dogs don't like that usually)? Huskies are sometimes not a touchy-feely breed. They love to play and run with you, but maybe don't want a lot of physical affection.

That said, it sounds she may be harder to train than the average husky, so you may want to work with a trainer as she grows up. Also look up the "NILIF" approach (Nothing In Life Is Free). She might have more of a dominant personality? Over the internet, it's hard for anybody to tell!
Back to top Go down
Dakotatheruffsky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 2:25 pm

I don’t hold her like a baby just when needed like if she pees I and she gets pee on her paw pads I can clean them. Also she does need items taken away if there dangerous she sometimes have papers she finds no matter where I can clean. I don’t take her toys away, she has plenty to chew. She does it unexpected most of the time. I’ll be sitting with her on the floor and if I want to pet her it will be okay but she sometimes growls. And I just want her to be calm and I’m trying everything to help her. I’ve been looking into some training for her as well. She doesn’t protect her food either. And when she is pulled away gently on a leash to correct her she will turn around and snap sometimes, if I’m near her level she will also turn around to my face.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Any number of things could be going on. It seems like a dominant issue with a little trust issues. But you say she turns and snaps when you correct her... thats an insecure thing. But with how you decribe things you need a dog trainer. Your pup seems to have the potential to go red zone because something is bothering her that you do on a regular basis and there seems to be a lack of respect because of that on your part. Its something that needs serious attention and with a dog trainer that knows huskies.
Back to top Go down
Dakotatheruffsky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 2:52 pm

I don’t do anything to her though, she eats and gets plenty of water I would never disrespect her in anyway! I can’t see why she’d be like this. Maybe if this helps I did rescue her from a backyard breeder she was in horrible shape and had fleas and worms. Is it possible that they did something to her? I got her when she was.. maybe 7-8 weeks old. And she’s 11 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 2:57 pm

Could be a bad association with people. I had read 2.4 as 24 months which is not as big an issue but something to fix early. And huskies play really rough tough sometimes youd think it was an attack. It sounds like shes very dominant but that can be a mask for insecurity.
Back to top Go down
Dakotatheruffsky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 3:07 pm

puppy - Puppy Snapping 51297210
puppy - Puppy Snapping 0c803e10

When we play I try to avoid tug of war because I heard it’s bad? She likes to fetch me her tiny bunny she likes to play with. I tried to get back into contact with the breeder but there wasn’t a reply. When we took her home she was very scared she was screaming in the car ride home. Once I saw her fleas I tried to remove them ASAP with dawn soap. She hates water so I took about 1 hour and a half because I didn’t want to stress her out. She has all her shots and is on flea and heart worm prevention. She also knows sit, and leave it for most of the time. I’m trying to work on stay command, she’s very smart learned potty training in one week! She’s so wonderful I just feel so sad that they could have maybe not touched the puppies? Or could this be from the parents? Like bad breeding I do have pics of the Mom and dad which I will post.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 4:16 pm

From my viewpoint, any type of play is beneficial as long as it's on your terms. You start it, you stop it.

Growling is a tough call. Growling is simply the puppy telling you that she doesn't like what you're doing - okay, that's simple enough. But it's also often the last resort before a bite, people who tech their dogs not to growl are setting them up to bite in a situation where they'd growl first. That means that you get NO warning, no growl just a bite. Definitely no what you want to do!

A lot of dogs want to have "all four on the floor." and as your girl grows up, she'll be too heavy to lift comfortably. In most cases it's safe to say that you want a dog who you can lift if you need to, but one who spends 99% of her time on the floor - she's just more comfortable that way. My Sasha object strongly if I try to pick her up but one time when she was really sick and I had to take her to the vet she didn't object all all when I picked her up to put her in the jeep.

You got her when she was around 8 weeks old and she's now only 11 - you haven't had time enough with her to really impress. You're still the stranger who took her away from her litter. As a young puppy (and she is still a very young puppy) she's going to explore with her mouth, that's just what dogs do (most animals really) it's going to be up to you to keep her safe. A little scrap of paper probably isn't going to be a problem and not worth making a fuss over; a notebook or a roll of paper towels, on the other hand, would be. I use the swapping technique with Sasha when she has something she shouldn't - mostly because he did bit me more than once when I first got her, it's just safer that way. "You shouldn't have that, wouldn't you rather have a treat instead?" Moat dogs will take you up on the offer which gives you the chance to get the offending item 'out of the picture.'

And, at the risk of being offensive - you're also young and most young people I've met don't have a lot of patience and the thing you need most when it comes to training a dog is lots of patience! You're bigger, smarter (for now) so training should be a snap but it's going to take you being patient and consistent to get the results you want.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Dakotatheruffsky
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 4:24 pm

I understand that, I’ve had a malamute before, a rescue once more. I got him from a breeder that wasn’t of use of him anymore I took care of him but he wasn’t like this. I won’t grab the paper like I said if it wasn’t needed she usually has plastic and bigger papers but I will let her get the little ones I suppose? I heard it’s not good for puppy to eat paper. I will try to get a trainer to help her out but thanks for all the help pig
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 10:40 am

Trainer visit sounds good...her behavior seems out of the normal for a young puppy (I think you felt that too). It's hard to tell without seeing her behavior in person...

But in general, I would try to compromise a bit and avoid doing the things that make her growl. For example, is there something you could do to train her behavior besides using a leash correction? Could you put valuable papers up high, or in a drawer until she is trained to Leave things alone? I totally understand about the paw wiping but my dog also growls if I touch his back paws (he is muzzled for nail trims) so maybe you could have her walk around on a damp towel instead.

Anyway a well-trained "Drop It!" command does always come in handy. It has saved my dog from eating many strange ancient foodlike items off the street (and then having diarrhea for days, which is what I dread!)

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping EmptyTue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 am

Whats weird is the behavior is exactly within the norm for an insecure german shepherd. Particularly coming up the leash at you, but not normal for a husky pup.

I dont reccomend this but squirt bit my husband when she was about 5 months old. He bit her back on the ear. She peed on him and she never bit another person again and learned personal space really quickly. I dont reccomend biting your dog and i was really mad when it happened.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy Snapping   puppy - Puppy Snapping Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy Snapping

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1