It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mama2Aspen
Newborn
Newborn

Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! Empty
PostSubject: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 4:12 pm

Hey all! We adopted our sweet Aspen from a rescue down south this Christmas and are trying to determine if shes all Husky or mix. Vet says Husky, rescue says mix and other husky owners say her coat is too short to be full Husky (I dont agree). Would love your thoughts. We had an all white wolf/husky before Aspen but we adopted her fully grown so I cant compare. Ive uploaded a photo of her at 8wks, 11wks and now almost 4mos. Also if anyone can comment on her coat color. Im guessing sable?!? Much appreciated!!!Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! 45352510
Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! 20191210
Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! 20200210Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! 20200211
Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! 20200212
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Those almond eyes say husky. Those ears say had. Though Huskies tend to grow into their ears over time. The coloration of her coat on the saddle also suggests some gsd. Though Huskies do often have a darker color on saddle. Shorter sleeker coat,gsd. Though working line husky often has a sleek coat.

Coin toss anyone?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 pm

I'm of real mixed feelings here.  The almond eyes, indeed, suggest a northern breed - but there's just something odd about their set.  Until I got to the fourth picture, where she's 'head on', I was happy with "Yep, Husky ..."  That picture is taken at an angle which can accentuate minor differences and almost everything in that picture says "almost Husky"  Flop eared at 4 months, unusual but possible.  The pattern where her legs meet her body is 'different' (at least to me), with most dogs it seems to be smoother, more well defined where her's is splotchy ...

Do you still have that two headed coin @Amymeme?? 'cause I agree, it's a coin toss.

And all that to the side, she's a cute looking pup!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
mama2Aspen
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Thanks @aljones...we think shes super cute too, but we're bias. And thank you @Amymeme for the comments too. I guess im just as confused now as I was earlier. And to point out the "jagged" pattern on her right leg (which I never noticed till now) its very odd for her left leg is the complete opposite where the transition of coloring is smooth. I feel as though her coat looks shorter than what it really is because of the dark coloring on her sadle (undercoat is white, then fawn then black tips). But I could be completely wrong on that. Also her ears stay erect 90% (she may flop the tip from time to time, but they are mainly fully erect). I read somewhere that 6mos is the time when a huskies ears should be fully erect. Her personality, weight and communication are all spot on for Husky, except she will bark sometimes. So whatever shes mixed with has be stumped. Hopefully a Husky expert can weigh in on this one. Would love to know without having to get a DNA kit.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 1:00 am

@aljones this pup reminds me of Renee's Mya, the husky had mix. Remember her?
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 1:14 am

Here is pic of former member, miyas momma, pup Miya. This girl is husky gsd mix.

Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! B10
Back to top Go down
mama2Aspen
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 2:25 am

Thanks for the photo...Miya looks alot like Aspen actually. My husband would be thrilled to know shes gsd mix. It wouldnt bother me one bit either (eventhough im partial to Huskies personally💕)
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptyFri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Governor Cuomo got a dog 2 years ago that looks a lot like Aspen. A mix called Northern Inuit Dog bred to look more like a wolf. His breeder is Sharon O'Grady of Mountain Myst North Inuit. A mix of GSD, Husky and Malamute.

https://www.google.com/search?q=governor+cuomo+northern+inuit+dog&sxsrf=ACYBGNQiSt27tjICF1OD4JkKtljr0UW-xw:1581110464874&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=tkuiY-LrKqDdYM%253A%252Ctz3eI1Rtyjn2SM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTcy-aFxFhdTs6ZMaqB9WrIY4bgNw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjq5e-8r8DnAhVOZN8KHQ_0BEsQ9QEwCXoECAoQEQ#imgrc=tkuiY-LrKqDdYM

https://www.mountainmystnortherninuits.com/
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptySat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Its fun to guess but without a dna test its all speculation. Take squirt her mom was a pure sibe and her dad was feral. Most people think German shepherd ive heard mini shepherd, chow,heeler, and corgi. No one ever thinks husky. And turns out no german shepherd embark calls it a village dog and then the subtype is native American and then phenotype divides them into 5 groups.

I see some type of shepherd in the ears and tail but most likely im wrong and its just an educated guess. And not sure what continent your on but aspen has a sibercaan look. The color makes me think native American indian dog, not the real one but the designer breed
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 12:28 pm

She is so pretty!  Smile

Her tail...it's not as "bushy" as a typical Sibe's tail? Maybe all the fur just hasn't grown in yet. But her tail seems a bit more nonHusky to me than the rest of her. Hmmm, other than that I don't know!

Last edited by Shepsky13 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 12:30 pm

I would guess a mix . I knew a Malamute/German Shepherd mix and your puppy looks sooooo much like her, right down to the coat coloring. Only difference was her ears weren’t quite so large and pointy.

Your puppy is ADORABLE
Back to top Go down
mama2Aspen
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 12:47 pm

Thank you to everyone who has replied, it has really helped! Yes, eventually we will just have to bite the bullet and get a DNA test. Im pretty sure now she is NOT full husky and thats OK!!! After researching more she does have alot of both Husky and GSD in her. Eyes and ears look more GSD. But again, she also looks so much like other northern breeds. The only thing is her weight is too small for the larger breeds (shes 4 months now and only 22lbs). Which after reading gives her an approximate adult weight of around 44lbs. But again, every dog and breed is different. We will just have to wait and see I guess. But would still love if anyone wlse wants to guess. Thanks again!!!
Back to top Go down
mama2Aspen
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 12:50 pm

And we are in northeast of the US. When I mentioned we got her "from the south" I ment the southeast US (state of Alabama)
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! EmptySun Feb 09, 2020 3:18 pm

I think husky shepherd, guessing games are fun. Also Alabama could be catahoula or cur would also explain short coat and tail and ears. Some breeds are regional

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!   Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Pure Husky or mix? Any thoughts would be GREAT!?!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1