It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chevrolet
Newborn
Newborn

Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour  Empty
PostSubject: Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour    Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour  EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 8:36 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance for my Husky Chevy who is about 11 years old. He's always been a super healthy pup with bundles of energy.

Recently he's begun panting almost constantly and when he's not panting his resting breaths are very fast paced. We live in Australia so it can get quite hot here but he has never reacted this way to the heat. He always has access to shade and water to keep him cool and we put the AC on for him in the house when we're home (we sure do spoil our huskies don't we).

Chevy's also always been quite an 'independent' dog where he's happy to do his own thing however recent weeks he's been a super clingy always following me around the house everywhere I go and has to ensure he's in the same room as me.

We've been to the vet and have done a number of tests; Xrays, Blood tests, Urine tests and they have all come back clear. They also listened to his heart beat and didn't report and signs of a murmur. We went to a second vet just to get another opinion and we still weren't able to get any answers. They tried a run of steroid tablets but had no change in his breathing.

I thought perhaps it could have been related to the bushfires that we've had over the last few months but our city has been clear of bushfires for awhile now and there hasn't been any change of behaviour.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Or is it just a sign of old age? We're pretty worried about our poor pup.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour    Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour  EmptyWed Feb 19, 2020 12:27 pm

The smoke could have weakened his lungs. Age will naturally weaken stuff too. My older girl is panting hard right now due to having a stuffed up head that's either a cold or allergies. Extra weight will do it also. If he's getting a little bit of the middle age spread you might try to take some weight off and you may see some difference.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour    Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour  EmptyFri Feb 21, 2020 4:16 am

He's a pretty healthy weight, if anything maybe on the lighter side. But yes maybe a combination of getting a tad older and the smoke has presented some issues.

The only thing is our area hasn't been smokey for well over a month now so I would have thought to have started to notice some changes.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour    Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour  EmptyFri Feb 21, 2020 11:13 am

It just depends on how bad the smoke was and what was in it. Smoke that may have had chemicals in it from house fires or car fires will do permanent damage. Pollen in the air can cause it. The smell of critters running around outside may also put him on alert which can cause extra panting. There are a lot of possibilities to it, but if he's checked out medically I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's a really intense labored breathing. Thinking he might have a heart attack.

PostSubject: Re: Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour    Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour  Empty

Back to top Go down

Constant Panting - Unusual Behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1