It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Our sweet Dakota girl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dayleyhouse
Newborn
Newborn

Our sweet Dakota girl  Empty
PostSubject: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 2:26 am

We adopted this sweet girl on July 6th from the animal shelter. We had a situation when our beloved other furkid had to ve put down on June 3rd, so my kids convinced me to just go "look" at the shelter on the 6th. After severl other dogs, they brought her out and we all fell in love instantly. I know it seems too soon to get another furkid, but I truly believe that she ws meant to come to our family. She is about 1-2 years old and just a sweet and gentle girl. Though she cannot replace the sweet boy I lost, she is always my shadow, and is helping me cope through the grief. i am the mother of 4 boys and we are learning all the things we need to know about  the husky breed..like the ability to scale a fence I spent an entire day making higher and the the immense amounts of undercoat and fer that need to be taken care of. She is such a smart and sweet doggo and we are blessed toe her. Her fav treat is pigs ears, though I try to limit those. I am working on boundary training her with our electric fence and helping her understand her boundaries in the house as well. She is pretty well potty trained..we are just learning her cues. Our sweet Dakota girl  20200717
Our sweet Dakota girl  20200718
Our sweet Dakota girl  20200719

Last edited by Dayleyhouse on Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 2:30 am

Sweet looking pup, just remind the human pups that it's not a good idea to let her off leash when she's not in an enclosure of some kind. They were bred to run and given the chance they will.

Good to see that someone is wearing their COVID mask, dad<?> doesn't need to? shame on him!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Dayleyhouse
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 2:54 am

aljones wrote:
Sweet looking pup, just remind the human pups that it's not a good idea to let her off leash when she's not in an enclosure of some kind.  They were bred to run and given the chance they will... That was at the shelter when we were adopting her. My boys are very used to having to have our furkids on leash.....though we live on 5 acres in the country.

Good to see that someone is wearing their COVID mask, dad<?> doesn't need to?  shame on him!!

We are very blessed to havea 5 acre are for her to run and play . We are working on training her on our electric fence (if that works out well. Otherwise, she will be in her enclosure or inside.
Back to top Go down
Dayleyhouse
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 2:55 am

aljones wrote:
Sweet looking pup, just remind the human pups that it's not a good idea to let her off leash when she's not in an enclosure of some kind.  They were bred to run and given the chance they will.

Good to see that someone is wearing their COVID mask, dad<?> doesn't need to?  shame on him!!
..Oh..those are two of my boys..13 and 15 and they both had masks....one had just taken it offf, as we were outside
Back to top Go down
Dayleyhouse
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 2:57 am

She knows ow to sit and do both paws and speak..and stays very well...working on clicker training nad general obedience ..but she has not had any major issues
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 1:12 pm

You changed pictures just to make me look silly, didn't you? (teasing!) The first picture you had up had two people, the red head in the first picture, I think, and then someone looking down so I couldn't see a face or gauge age.

Once she gets comfortable with you - say a month or so - don't be surprised if she starts expressing her individuality, right now you're new and interesting, later ... we'll find out. That you're challenging her with training will keep her interest on you.

I had to laugh, boundaries - huskies don't know any! (laughing) They can be the best animal around and 15 seconds later they're off chasing a rabbit (or a car!) and you'll see them when they get home, if they don't get lost. I have three (two Sibes and one Alaskan) and only of the three is allowed off lead, she's 13ish and knows where home is even if she does wander a bit; another is allowed off lead for exercise, I'll let him loose and I'll drive/he'll run 5 miles or so down the road (very rural Texas very little traffic - like 4-5 cars a day) depending on the temp and his attitude we may do this once or we may do it 2-3-4 times - until he tells me he's ready to get in the Jeep and go home. We had onew fellow in Europe who did search and rescue with his Husky - he reports that it took a lot of training but his dog was well behaved off leash - and that's the key, lots of training, lots of repetitive training and maybe she'll come when she's called.

They are not like any other dog you've ever had (unless you've had some other northern breed) you'll find that hair in your bed, on the couch, in your soup is a common and expected thing. They 'blow their coats' normally twice a year, once in the spring and then again in the fall - but that's only a rough estimate of the times, may be earlier, may be later. The first time she blows her coat you'll definitely know it - you'll see tufts of hair sticking up all over! We've been having some high temps - as in well over the 100° mark and both of my Sibes are having a second blow this spring/summer. I can't keep up with the hair!!!

If you have more questions it helps us a lot to have some idea of where you are. It doesn't have to be exact - I'm in SW Texas outside Big Bend National Park. That gives a rough idea but doesn't let anyone know just where I am. Your one son has a hoodie on so I'm guessing probably the northern west / central US. Food, for example, varies across the country and if you were to have a picky eater, having some idea of where you are will let someone else who lives in the same state / area offer suggestions that are pertinent.

Welcome to the sheer enjoyment and madness of being owned by one of the most unique breeds around.

Back to top Go down
Dayleyhouse
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 3:01 pm

aljones wrote:
You changed pictures just to make me look silly, didn't you? (teasing!)  The first picture you had up had two people, the red head in the first picture, I think, and then someone looking down so I couldn't see a face or gauge age.

Once she gets comfortable with you - say a month or so - don't be surprised if she starts expressing her individuality, right now you're new and interesting, later ... we'll find out.  That you're challenging her with training will keep her interest on you.

I had to laugh, boundaries - huskies don't know any! (laughing)  They can be the best animal around and 15 seconds later they're off chasing a rabbit (or a car!) and you'll see them when they get home, if they don't get lost.  I have three (two Sibes and one Alaskan) and only of the three is allowed off lead, she's 13ish and knows where home is even if she does wander a bit; another is allowed off lead for exercise, I'll let him loose and I'll drive/he'll run 5 miles or so down the road (very rural Texas very little traffic - like 4-5 cars a day) depending on the temp and his attitude we may do this once or we may do it 2-3-4 times - until he tells me he's ready to get in the Jeep and go home.  We had onew fellow in Europe who did search and rescue with his Husky - he reports that it took a lot of training but his dog was well behaved off leash - and that's the key, lots of training, lots of repetitive training and maybe she'll come when she's called.

They are not like any other dog you've ever had (unless you've had some other northern breed) you'll find that hair in your bed, on the couch, in your soup is a common and expected thing.  They 'blow their coats' normally twice a year, once in the spring and then again in the fall - but that's only a rough estimate of the times, may be earlier, may be later.  The first time she blows her coat you'll definitely know it - you'll see tufts of hair sticking up all over! We've been having some high temps - as in well over the 100° mark and both of my Sibes are having a second blow this spring/summer.  I can't keep up with the hair!!!

If you have more questions it helps us a lot to have some idea of where you are.  It doesn't have to be exact - I'm in SW Texas outside Big Bend National Park.  That gives a rough idea but doesn't let anyone know just where I am.  Your one son has a hoodie on so I'm guessing probably the northern west / central US.  Food, for example, varies across the country and if you were to have a picky eater, having some idea of where you are will let someone else who lives in the same state / area offer suggestions that are pertinent.

Welcome to the sheer enjoyment and madness of being owned by one of the most unique breeds around.

LOL.We live in Southern Idaho..so its wamr here.I have bought a furminator, undercoat brush and several other gadgets to help with hair...and there is allot of it. I try to brush her every other day..and bath have bathed her several times..she does not ssem to mind. Is is true its better for her to be wet when I brush her out. i was planning on making a diy coat conditioner to spray on her when I am brushing her.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 3:41 pm

One of the oddities with Huskies is that they're part cat ... well, at least in some ways.  You'll probably see her 'grooming' herself almost as a cat would.

Huskies are one of the best non-allergenic dogs, there's seldom much, if any, dander, and they have very little oil in their hair - their undercoat is what keeps them warm when it's cold and helps immensely when it's hot (we've been well over 100° the past few days).  It's a lot like the insulation in your attic.  Because they have little oil in their hair/fur it doesn't collect the dust and dirt that other dogs do, in fact, if she gets muddy and you let her dry naturally, in an hour you'll wonder where the dirt went (now I have a stupid Pepsodent commercial running through my head!)  

I've lived here on the desert for the better part of 10 years and one of my dogs has gotten a bath after he got into something that was greasy and very stinky.  The rest of the time I let them drip dry.  You'll find that most of us seldom bathe our dogs. Washing her too often will result in exactly the type of thing you're trying to avoid with the bathing.  Because the dense inner hair doesn't dry as quickly as the outer guard hairs, too frequent bathing tends to cause dry skin and possibly fungal infections that you'll 'see' because of the doggy order - typically she shouldn't have much, if any, odor to her (unless she decides to roll in her well selected road kill.)

What you might try - see how she reacts to a vacuum cleaner with a hose, some dogs don't mind at all and others (mine!) go hyper.  You can use the exhaust to blow out any loose hair or the vacuum itself to get rid of any loose hair.

Emphasis here:  Look around the web for comments from people who have Huskies and you'll find that the Furminator is generally frowned on.  See this article from a breeder (one I don't like but who does some informative articles)  A Furminator can cause more damage than good if not use judiciously.  I use a slicker as my primary brush and a comb afterwards.

ETA: (edited to add) There's an old thread here about the furminator that you might want to look at. Comments on both sides ...

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Invisible fence style electric fence or agricultural style"hot wire" electric fence. The latter is very easy to boundary train, just wrap some foil with peanut butter around the wire. Dog will get the message PDQ. Not that I did that deliberately, I baited the fence for bear. Dogs just didn't listen to me. Not did poor Z'ev when he backed up to the fence while pooping 🙄

The invisible fence style dog fence can work but does take training. I have 3 trained to it.

Pup is beautiful. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
Ravisha
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 9:08 am

Hai
Back to top Go down
Dayleyhouse
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 9:23 am

That is funny. I tried to get her to just hear the warning beep the first week...and then I would call her or pull her back...and have my son move the boundary flags we had put up as an association.... Now..with the fence on, I can tell when she fells it..as she shakes her head and sort of alert and stops and hesitates. I challenged her and walked past it..and she followed me, so its either not high enough..or I need to tighten the collar or trim her fur under her neck. i did attatch the longer prongs hoping they would be good enough...but I dont think she feels that much. She is super smart and wants to be obedient..so I just need to experiment with it..and be consistent with the practice runs. I have three teenagers who are also supposed to be helping me, but that does not always work. One was running his go kart nearby...and I could not even hear the beep to complete the training run. I love how chill she is about equipment and such...go karts, quads, crop dusters, dont bug her a bit. The only issue I have had is she really does not like to have air in her face. i used to play with my other dog and blow in his face.....but she clearly got triggered and told me that was not something she was ok with. She actually nipped my face...not hard...BUT I GOT THE MESSAGE!! A couple time, the boys have sat down to play with her and gotten too close to her face and she nipped at them..no biting...just close.I have 3 grandkids..7, 5 nd newborn, so I will have to make sure and watch that when they are around. She is such a good dog and just has that issue...I dont like people in my face either!! Suggestions!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our sweet Dakota girl    Our sweet Dakota girl  Empty

Back to top Go down

Our sweet Dakota girl

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1