It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New rescue exercise questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NickMc1381
Newborn
Newborn

New rescue exercise questions Empty
PostSubject: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 am

Hi guys. As a forewarning I apologise for any issues with formatting etc.

I've recently fostered an 11 year old husky (Thor) on palliative care from the shelter. He has an inoperable tumour on his left foreleg. Otherwise he's a healthy dog for a boy his age and the tumor doesn't really seem to impair him. The shelter advid to monitor him on walks to make sure there's no limping, and as we get used to him we'll make sure not to overtrain him.

He's our families first husky. We currently have a 7 year old Staffordshire terrier. (Sophie) whom we exercise twice a day on average. One short 20-30 minute walk in the morning after breakfast, one longer 45-60 minute walk in the evening after dinner. This is ample for our staffy as she's content sleeping the rest of the day. I'm hoping Thor will also find this enough to to his age / condition.

I would love any input from anyone with a husky 10 and over about potential exercise needs, tips etc so we can give Thor the best home possible
Many thanks
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 11:32 am

Is this a tumor on the leg or cancer in the bone? Is the issue spot near a joint? I have a 9 year old with bone cancer and all he can do is a slow 10 minute stroll morning, noon, and night or he will be in rough shape. He thinks he can do more, but he can't. Cancer in the bone isn't quite the same as a tumor just on the leg though. The morning walk should be fine, but the evening walk might be too much. Not too much due to age but due to the tumor possibly. Treat him like a puppy. Start slow, stick to soft surfaces if possible (dirt trails and grassy areas instead of concrete sidewalks), let him set the pace within reason, be prepared to abort the walk at any point.

My 11 year old female can still do 10 miles a day, she just struggles to get up after she's done that and then lays down. Age doesn't mean much to these dogs if they are healthy. They do tend to get some arthritis with age that should be factored in but how it affects them depends on the dog and the severity of the arthritis.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Hey Jenn, thanks for replying. The lump itself is in the middle of his foreleg, and I don't believe it's near enough the joint to cause issue. The rescue centre did advise to monitor him for any signs of pain. With the evening walk we'll start of in the lower time frame (maybe half hour) and my partner can take Sophie out a bit further if we feel Thor is struggling. It's mostly flat surface, a mix of grass and concrete. If there's any examples of pain from him before we're home I can call someone to come pick us up.

My main worry is providing enough exercise so he doesn't become destructive. Sophie has never chewed anything, but in general doesn't show much interest in chew toys unless we can't get out to walk. It's early days yet but Thor doesn't seem particularly interested in chew toys (and the centre have asked we add some warm water to his food to soften it for him) so I don't expect any issue.

I'm just trying to plan ahead to do right by him
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 3:35 pm

It's all dependent on dog. My oldies are pretty content as long as they get something. Used to back in the day we had to do 3-5 miles a day or chaos and mayhem would ensue. Now they just like to get out and do something morning and night. The distance isn't as important as it once way.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 3:48 pm

You're an absolute star, thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 1:26 am

I have to echo the previous comments, it's entirely up to the dog - but you have 'considerations'

All of mine are what you would consider seniour dogs (see my pitapata below) but only one acts like it. Sasha is probably around 12 but is developing problems with her hind legs. The strength she did have just doesn't seem to be there anymore. She's the only one I let off lead during the day where I can watch her, mostly because she doesn't get too far away from home. She'll go visit a neighbor, mostly I think just to irritate his terriers.

The other two, who are both 9 years plus a bit are still active and energetic. One I let run with me - er, him on foot, me in my jeep - I live in the desert of south Texas so no traffic to consider. The other gets to run when there're no people around, she tends to forget to come home.

I'm a very laid back person, there's little that excites me overmuch and I find that my dogs are as well. When Avalanche barks, I get up to see what he's barking at, that sort of laid back. My kids don't do toys, I've gotten some and decided that was a waste of money. Because they're so laid back, they also aren't destructive, don't get into the garbage, etc.

So, my answer to your question would to let him be as much as you and he can, within reason. The tumor is probably going to bother you more than he'll let it bother him but it does bear watching. If this is truly palliative care then you'll want to be more careful as time winds down. Even though I'm watching one of mine as she's winding down, I wouldn't take your spot for all the tea in China - you have my heartfelt respect.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Shepsky13
Teenager
Teenager
Shepsky13

Male Join date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 12:35 am

It's so kind of you to take care of him!!

Our dog (about 10 now) has been getting some joint stiffness and is on carprofen.

For his long walk these days, I just clip on his leash and start walking along with him. He chooses the loop and chooses the way. On days when he doesn't feel good or he feels hot, he picks the "short loop" to the park in our neighborhood. On days when he feels well and the weather is cooler, he chooses a longer loop and we might walk for an hour. Since I have no idea how much exercise feels good to him these days, I just let him pick...

Once Thor gets familiar with your neighborhood and the distances/possible loops, maybe you can let him pick too.
Back to top Go down
NickMc1381
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi all

Thanks for all your help, it's been really appreciated. He's settled in very well, he only had a bit of a whine the first 3 night's but he's into a nice routine now. They're quite happy lying around the house in between feedings and walks, normally quite close to each other

If I knew how to add a damn picture I'd show you

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
cheywhite
Teenager
Teenager
cheywhite

Female Join date : 2019-03-20

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyWed Aug 26, 2020 9:06 pm

On the top right there's a section called stickies and announcements and there's a topic title "how to upload pictures" that gives a step by step instructions.

But I'll go ahead and put my version on here for ya!
I'm on my phone so it might look different on a computer but the symbols are roughly the same.

First, start a reply or new topic and then click this symbol in the tool bar:
New rescue exercise questions Screen12

Then press select files, then select the pictures, then select send and once it finishes uploading, click insert.

Hope it helps! The stickies is more detailed and includes other ways too but that's the way I do it!

ETA I think I got all the steps in there! If I missed anything let me know!
Back to top Go down
NickMc1381
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 3:14 am

New rescue exercise questions Img_2010
New rescue exercise questions Img-2010
Back to top Go down
NickMc1381
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 3:15 am

There they both are. They might have the odd squabble over food or attention, but that's very few and far between and they're quickly told to stop, which they do
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 11:57 am

Beautiful pups. that is quite the tumor there but at least it's an independent tumor. This bone cancer stuff is awful. We had a bird dog that developed a benign tumor on her side that eventually got to about the size of a grapefruit. She lived many years with that tumor.

PostSubject: Re: New rescue exercise questions   New rescue exercise questions Empty

Back to top Go down

New rescue exercise questions

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1