It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Ami! You're FAT!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Ami! You're FAT!!!  Empty
PostSubject: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 10:19 pm

Aargh! Ami needs to most weight. So I've cut portions about 10%, only giving bones without a lot, if any, of fat. So what does the big boy do?

Says nuts to that, I'll get my own dinner. And leaves half the carcass for me.

And. His doxy has specific requirements in relationship to eating. No calcium 4 hours before or an hour after his pills.

I'm assuming there is calcium in bunnies🙄
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 11:23 pm

Ami wrote:
I am not! Who do you think you're calling fat? Have you looked in a mirror lately??

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 am

Lol
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 1:15 am

aljones wrote:
Ami wrote:
I am not! Who do you think you're calling fat?  Have you looked in a mirror lately??

Very funny.

Sigh.

True. But I don't leave half eaten bunnies in the walkway.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 pm

Rabbits are lean. Whole prey is balanced meal. Don't feed kibble to offset. Kye is on Diamond Naturals weight management right now. He's dropped some weight while still being able to eat portions set by the nutritional guidelines.

My concern with dropping portion size goes to some of the DCM stuff of old now. They placed so much blame on people feeding grain-free but when you analyze how so many people feed they have a tendency to feed way too little in order to keep weight under control and the animals are likely not getting enough vitamins. Or they are feeding unbalanced by adding toppers and treats and then cutting back on the balanced food to keep weight under control rather than cutting out the treats like they should. 10% you aren't going to have an issue but if 10% isn't working I would consider swapping to a different food before dropping much more.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 12:56 pm

I'm just using up my bag of Victor hi pro plus. And that I've only dropped about a tablespoon. Unfortunately, the rabbit, apparently was "dessert." The big cut has been their cheese stick 1/4 instead of half) and their sorry whipped cream is 1 tablespoon between them (but that stuff is mostly air anyway, total validities between them is under 15.) Now, when they get a pan address dinner, I wipe it out with a paper towel so they get just a whisper. Husband lines to share his dinner with them but I'm now adamant: pea sized bits of meat, a tablespoon between them, or one ziti again in pea sized bits divided between them. I also cut their nightly chicken strip from a third each, to a quarter each.

The big thing I need to cut is their bones. The bone itself is not bad, they'd the day around them. Sometimes they're packed. I don't relish thawing them and trimming them but it's either that or going to a chicken drumstick without skin and cutting the evening kibble. Which means a vitamin supplement.

Over thought is to cajole the butcher into saving me the blade, ribs and neck pieces. No marrow bones. I try to get bags without those but someone's that's all he has.

I'm considering the diamond you're feeding as well as Victor senior weight control but that still has a lot of calories. Even the science diet , more enough, he can get some bulky food but I don't want sloppy poops to pick up,!
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 1:01 pm

So. Nope on the hills. Expensive and a lot of recalls.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 3:27 pm

I really think the biggest change with all my dogs but shadow and weight particularly with shadow was instead of treats i use freezedried dog food and i factor that in with his overall calorie intake. Even when he ate the chipmunk i had to do math to figure out how much less of his dinner he was getting.

I add 1oz of unsweetened unflavored kefir to everyones dinner at night because my dog food lacks probiotics. Be glad you dont have a slew of allergies, it makes dog food shopping a pain in the ass.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 3:51 pm

Aargh. Allergies! Thankfully not the dogs - though son's dog seems to be allergic to beef and gets really itchy when I feed him the Victor. I now keep a small bag of toys wetlands in the house for when Archer visits. It's me with my good allergies/intolerances. I used to love to cook and grocery shopping was a joy. Not anymore. Reading labels, saying nope, nope, nope. Very demoralizing.

Ami really loves his bones, and the bones have done so much for Z'ev's teeth. I really don't want to ditch the bones it used to be lots of rib bones, neck bones, the tbones. Blades. But now that COVID-19 has trashed the restaurant business, the butcher is not selling nearly the same amount of boneless cuts so that waste is not available.

I think the bag I'm working on now is lamb. That are smaller, the color is different and there are bunches of 3-6" bony/meaty pieces of spine. Must be a very young animal, too, maybe 2" in diameter.

What to people think about pork bones? I made a Chile Verde. With just 2 of us, I didn't want to buy a whole pork butt so I got a package of country style ribs and cut the meat of the bones. As best I could. Rather a lot of meat left in the crevices, wanted to give it to the dogs but have this distant memory that pork bones are really hard.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 4:44 pm

@twisterII do you mean the diamond care weight management, the diamond senior or diamond naturals lite lamb and rice?
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 5:25 pm

I've given mine pork ribs in the past without issue. We are on Diamond Naturals Lite lamb and rice. Mine can't have chicken or potato and that's the only low fat one that fills that niche. Since Kenzi is diabetic we have to be careful with certain fat levels in foods. She doesn't eat kibble, only Kye does, but I wanted to make sure that he was on a food that if she got a piece it wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 4:29 pm

the vet said Jack was overweight when he had surgery on Fri. 64lbs but he has been holding that for a yr, we switched (a yr or so ago) to the earthborn venture LID for him, low 333cal a cup (i think) and half the time he does not eat his breakfast so no idea what i would cut on him, and we work all day so treats are not an issue.
Finn is a FATTY! 59.5lbs!!!! and he is on the small side for a male. i will be changing his food to a lower cal in a few weeks when he runs out of the current food. earthborn came out with a good looking not grain free food i want to try.
these damn dogs

PostSubject: Re: Ami! You're FAT!!!    Ami! You're FAT!!!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Ami! You're FAT!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-