It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

RE: Crazy Play Time

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wolverine79936
Newborn
Newborn
wolverine79936

Male Join date : 2020-01-02

RE: Crazy Play Time Empty
PostSubject: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 10:41 pm

Hello... Kinda curious if this is normal for the Husky or if this is even controllable. Every morning, we take our Malinois pup out and he plays with us and we throw balls and he comes back to us when it is time to go inside at the end of morning playtime.

Xena, our husky pup, is very opposite to Maxx the Malinois pup. She plays fine for about 10 minutes or so in the morning right after we bring Maxx back in. Then, all of a sudden, after about 10 or 15 minutes of free range playtime, Xena goes absolutely nuts and starts running around in the yard and trying to do backflips and sliding on her hips and the like with bugged out eyes and we are afraid that she is going to hurt herself. So as soon as she goes into psycho mode we corner her, capture her and put her on her leash and bring her back inside.

Is this normal for Xena? Is it even controllable? I mean, everything I have read about dog training states that it should be controllable, but it's not appearing to be that way for Xena.

Any helps is greatly appreciated. I'm actually thinking about taking her to a local tennis court with a racket and a big bucket of tennis balls and letting her chase the balls for about an hour and then seeing if we can make some headway on psycho mode.
Back to top Go down
https://www.stfinian.com
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 11:09 pm

Yep, from my viewpoint you have two entirely different dogs there. You Malinois is YOUR dog, you own him and he'll pretty much (according to training) do what you want; Xena on the other hand owns YOU and with enough training, you'll do what she wants most of the time. I'm sorry, I had to have some fun with that, but I think most will agree it's more true than not.

If oyu take that bucket of tennis balls out, it's my bet that after she watches a few of them, she'll then lay back and watch the rest of them go past - most Husky owners call that the "You threw it, you want it back then *you* go get it!" I know of very few Huskies who'll retrieve ... it's just not in the genes.

What you're calling psycho mode, I think the rest of us would just call a case of the zoomies and when you "capture" her, you've just spoiled all her fun. (( Bad daddy!! )) "everything I have read about dog training" means you're reading the wrong books, you're not trying to train a dog, you're trying to train a Husky and believe me, they are two entirely different animals.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
wolverine79936
Newborn
Newborn
wolverine79936

PostSubject: Re: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 12:11 am

I thank you immensely, Al, for your input. Are zoomies controllable to any degree?
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 1:02 am

Kong squeaker ball does it for spider. Treats. I get her attention then use a focus (nose touches fingers while sitting) command. Bribes work really well but not in the middle of it unless your trying to encourage it.

I hate when they get the zoomies inside and start bouncing off the walls and sofas and stuff. Zoomies are an outside activity.

Spider and squirt both play fetch.... just not what you would consider normal fetch. After the 3rd or 4th throw squirt turns it into a game of keep away. Spider likes to catch it in the air then throw it and pounce on it a few times then she throws it to me and repeat.

Maybe rollerblades on the tennis courts
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 1:14 am

Zoomies: stand back and enjoy the show! In my experience they only last about 10 minutes or so. Then the doc plopped down in satisfied completion.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 4:17 pm

We also call it zoomies and my to do this weird run where they’re back legs sort of go to fast for there front legs and we call that a scooty run😂 this photo was after a took them on a 2 mile run! Like @aljones said it’s not a dog it’s a husky😂RE: Crazy Play Time Dd00bc10
Back to top Go down
wolverine79936
Newborn
Newborn
wolverine79936

PostSubject: Re: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 1:24 am

Y'all make me think that my next Husky's name should be Beetlejuice. That way I don't feel so dumb screaming his name three times during Zoomies. ROFL!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RE: Crazy Play Time   RE: Crazy Play Time Empty

Back to top Go down

RE: Crazy Play Time

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1