It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Jumping and Hugging...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wolverine79936
Newborn
Newborn
wolverine79936

Male Join date : 2020-01-02

Jumping and Hugging... Empty
PostSubject: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 2:31 am

I know that traditionally jumping on someone is discouraged. However, I'm trying to figure out why this has suddenly started happening. I admit that I have not been spending a whole lot of time with Xena lately and I'm correcting that. However, she has suddenly started jumping up on me and standing on her hind legs followed by a big old hug and trying to crawl into my skin. Is this normal for Huskies? Is this like some kind of new, "I missed you so much, Daddy!" type thing... Input would be appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.stfinian.com
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 2:54 am

My son's husky mix does this with us everytime he comes to visit. And when he stays overnight, he sleeps between us, long stretched out string bean, both paws around one of us in a long sleeping hug, then rolling over and same with the other of us.

Last edited by amymeme on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 6:10 am

Storm does this when she’s really excited, like if I’ve been gone for a few hours to the shop or what ever, it’s like she trying to merge with you😂 she like pushes her self right into you like to become one🙄😂
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 2:06 pm

3 of mine do that. I will admit i DID train my dogs to jump on people. I also trained them to use a person for balance without knocking said person over. Has to do with my spine and an inability to bend over.

When i go somewhere and come home spider does the jumping hug and licks me under the chin. Its cute. But she also has done it when she gets freaked out and wants me to pick her up.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Emily, I trained my first girl, Sasha, to jump into my arms when I called her and patted my chest. That was many, many, MANY years ago, as in just about 50. I don't remember her being being either overly small or large. But. I absolutely cannot imagine doing that now with Ami. He's playing even when he's not fat. And has been know to flatten me by running at me and body checking me. And splat! Down I go 🙄
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Mine do this to, like do they think they are jack russles that can run between our legs?? Mine will be having zooming and try to run through my legs as I’m walking like I’m a tunnel🤦‍�
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 12:15 am

So spider when she gets the zoomies AND can convince shafow to join she jumps over him and runs right in front of him. Sometimes he gets her or chases her for short spurts but usually he moves and she ends up on 2 legs ontop of shadow.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 11:39 am

I'm a strong proponent of the philosophy that "all four belong on the floor."  Which works most of the time, after I added Sky to my mix we had a short discussion since she'd jump up to put her feet on my, normally, bare leg.  It must have been an effective discussion - though I don't remember it - as she won't "come up" even when invited.

@wolverine79936 Since you suggest that your duties have limited your time with Zena, it's entirely possible that she's overreacting to your return.  Personally I'd view it as an unacceptable behaviour and correct her - if it's only with you then I might allow it on occasion. A Husky is big enough that the possibility that she might "come up" with an older person or child and injure them is too great and the insurance aspect is forbidding.

Sasha has never been one to "come up", her choice is to keep them on the floor.  Avalanche "comes up" when invited for petting and cuddles but "down" puts them on the floor again.  

Zoomies are one thing that I let happen from time to time, chaos in the house isn't necessarily a good thing.  But "Hey!" get's their attention and "Enough" puts the kibosh to it ... it may become a quiet wrestling match but not the destructiveness of "wide open zoomies."

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 11:49 am

I prefer zoomies to be an outside activity but there are times that isnt possible. What scares me is when they run in and out of the house. Twice spider has slid and hit the sliding glass door with her hip. So far we were lucky and no major injuries.

My dogs do not go outside and get left there. We only let them out when we can leave the door open. We have mountain lion issues that effect all 4 dogs and an eagle could steal splinter.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 1:55 pm

@lostmaniac so so sooo grateful I don't have to work about large predators. @aljones ditto rattlesnakes. I can let the dogs out to free roam within their fence as long as we are awake and home. And, with zoomies or wrestling, I head to the nearest outside door, open it and hollar "oouuuttt" and out they go! Too much breakable stuff in this house🙄
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jumping and Hugging...   Jumping and Hugging... Empty

Back to top Go down

Jumping and Hugging...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1