It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Soft Stool/Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sako323
Newborn
Newborn

Soft Stool/Diarrhea Empty
PostSubject: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Hello Fellow Husky Owner,
I need some help. I have a 6 month old Siberian Husky. He's had soft stool or border line diarrhea his whole life. I've taking him to the vet multiple times, changed his food, put him on the bland diet but he still has the issue. I've done every test possible and everything comes back normal. No worms or parasites. Not sure what the cause is. Any advice is appreciated.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 3:31 pm

I'll give you the typical response ... Huskies are super good about utilizing the food they eat.  It's all too common for someone with a new Husky pup to look at the dog food package that says "feed 1.5 cups twice a day" and have no clue that that amount of food will probably result in "loose stools".  Regrettably, the normal vet will look at the dog and then look at the food and say "Oh, he's a growing pup, that'll do fine!" They just aren't aware that most Huskies require significantly less food than "the average dog" even as puppies!!  

Obviously, the first question is "What are you feeding him and how much?" ... depending on your response we'll go from there.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
sako323
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 3:41 pm

I'm currently feeding him Canidae Pure Puppy kibble. Chicken, Lentil and egg recipe. I feed him twice a day about 1.5 cups per feeding. I also add in a little pumpkin puree. He also gets some milk bone treats throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 5:25 pm

Had the same issue with spider. Started adding kefir (unflavored/unsweetened) to her pm food and it stopped.
Back to top Go down
sako323
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 5:32 pm

Isn't kefir made with milk? I thought milk was bad for dogs.
Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 6:10 pm

Mine had lose stool until 8 months no matter what I done changed food it didnt stop until 8 month and then it stopped, now they can literally eat any thing and no upset stomach they have guts like iron😂
Back to top Go down
sako323
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 6:16 pm

I'm hoping that's the case with Blu. I've noticed that it gets worse when he's teething. I'm hoping once he gets his baby teeth out, it will go away.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Weight in poundsUp to 4 Months4-10 months
5 - 103/4 - 1 1/41/2 - 7/8
10 - 251 1/4 - 2 1/27/8 - 1 5/8
25 - 502 1/3 - 4 1/81 5/8 - 2 3/4
50 - 754 1/8 - 5 5/82 3/4 - 3 3/4
From Chewy.Com for Canidae Pure Puppy kibble the above suggest that a dog from between 10-25 pounds should be fed no more than 1 5/8 cups of food a day and you're feeding well over twice that (considering "some milk bone treats").

Since it's common knowledge to people who know Huskies that overfeeding often results in "the squirts", I suggest that you gradually cut his food back - don't be mean, he's gotten used to too much food, cutting him back to half that, immediately, would almost be cruel.  Try cutting his food back by about 1/4 cup per meal, go with that for a couple of days and then cut it another 1/4 cup.  The pumpkin isn't a bad thing but you also need to consider it in the quantity you're feeding him.  You should be getting solid poops at about 2 cups total per day and do consider the milk bone treats as part of his meal.

Commenting on @lostmaniac post, milk isn't bad for a dog, per se.  It often will cause diarrhea since most dogs become lactose intollerant after they're weaned - of my three, 2 can eat dairy with no problem, the third one upchucks it ...

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptyFri May 28, 2021 10:52 pm

Ditto what Al said
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptySat May 29, 2021 1:07 pm

@aljones lactose is a created product. Raw milk has lactase which during pasteurization, becomes lactose. I use raw kefir, but i also give my dogs vanilla ice cream sometimes.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptySat May 29, 2021 2:00 pm

I'm not going to argue with you since your post seems to be argumentative.  Take a look at this WebMD link and still tell me I'm wrong.

The diagnose of "lactose intolerance" simply means that the animal is incapable of digesting a milk product.

Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptySat May 29, 2021 3:48 pm

Lactose is a naturally occurring sugar in mammal milk.  Lactase is an enzyme produced by the gut and bacteria to digest (breakdown) the sugar, lactose.

Emily, the retardation kefir had little to no lactose is that the fermentation bacteria "digest' the lactose.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose

https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/gene/lct/#:~:text=Lactase%20is%20produced%20by%20cells,be%20absorbed%20into%20the%20bloodstream.
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptySat May 29, 2021 5:37 pm

Milk gives me asthma attacks. I still eat ice cream sometimes. I am not lactose intolerant i am cow milk allergic.

I have noticed 3 brands of goat milk in the raw frozen section of the dog food store.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptySat May 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Well that's a poop, Emily. Allergyis a whole different thing from intolerance.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptySat May 29, 2021 6:57 pm

@sako323 I'm sorry that you question seems to have gone awry. If you still have questions, feel free to ask - I'm sure someone can help.

Back to top Go down
Liv_Skye
Adult
Adult
Liv_Skye

Female Join date : 2019-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea EmptySat May 29, 2021 7:02 pm

I feel like Al you took Emily’s message the wrong way, it didn’t seem augmentative to me.
But this is has all got heated over milk, and every one knows the saying “no point crying over spilt milk”!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soft Stool/Diarrhea   Soft Stool/Diarrhea Empty

Back to top Go down

Soft Stool/Diarrhea

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1