It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Introducing a new puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Introducing a new puppy  Empty
PostSubject: Introducing a new puppy    Introducing a new puppy  EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 pm

I have puppy fever. Going to look tomorrow at a few staffie bull mix pups at the humane society in durango. I almost brought 4 sibe puppies home from Walmart even though what jerry wants a husky will not meet. They seemed abused and i didn't want them to go back to the backyard breeder selling them at walmart.  Jerry basically wants a velcro dog that will stay with him because the other 3 go wherever i am.

So introducing them to the puppy. I am fully expecting spider to freak out and panic so i wont get a good feel of her opinion but she does like puppies. Splinter has loved every dog he's met but sometimes his being a terrier scares dogs. And shadow i just dont know. Shadow doesn't really like puppies but he isnt outright mean to them, its more he just doesnt want to have much to do with them. When everything went to hell and we had to rehome trouble, by then trouble was 1 and spider went into heat and i had 2 un neutered male dogs in the house. Shadow has since been neutered and gone blind.

What would i look for as far as things that would indicate its not going to work out? The 3 are coming and im going to try to do introductions at the shelter but i dont know how my dogs are going to react in the shelter. I expect spider to panic and im not expecting either of the boys to behave there.

The puppy is a almost 9 week old staffordshire bull terrier mix. Dont really actually know though so i plan on doing a dna test.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Introducing a new puppy    Introducing a new puppy  EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 7:00 pm

My best suggestion, if the shelter folks will allow it, is to have an "accidental meeting" in the parking lot.  None of the dogs should feel threatened if you "just happen to run into this fellow who has a new dog."  Just walk around the parking area, like a few feet apart and let them drift (together?) that should tell you how they'd react to a new little bro/sis.

Taking them into the shelter is going to be a disaster waiting to happen (or maybe not waiting ...)  The anxiety of all the dogs there will be sensed by your dogs and that's not gonna be nice - even if they were even tempered, well behaved pups.

Of my three, Avalanche is the only one I'd consider taking into a shelter because he does look to me to decide how to act and he's surprisingly well behaved even though we don't work at it (no neighbors, very few visitors, so I don't worry about it.)

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Introducing a new puppy    Introducing a new puppy  EmptyThu Jun 10, 2021 7:36 pm

If spider gets out of the car in a new place she will panic. Doesnt matter where it is, Its just her. Probobly wouldn't even matter that its the shelter. Normally i have to carry her or give her about 30 mins. Jerry thinks rolling the car window down just enough for a sniff but i worry that could bring up a territorial issue. Mostly im worried im going to scare the puppy because as husky (and wolfdog) owners know, what is playing to our dogs sometimes looks like fighting or can be overwhelming for non huskies.

So part of the acclimation plan is to put the puppy in a crate so everyone can spend the 2 hour drive safely getting to know each other. Then using gates and the crate to keep everything controlled until i know everyone is ok.

So last time i brought home a puppy, i literally just walked in the door with him and put him down. And then a week later his 8 siblings came and we really didnt do much other then have somewhere to put the puppies when the big dogs got too annoyed with them. The only one that had an issue with it was squirt. Nothing proper was done and really it was fine. But that was almost 5 years ago. The problem between trouble and shadow didnt happen for a year. History says it should go fine. Why am i so worried?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing a new puppy    Introducing a new puppy  Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing a new puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1