It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Melatonin and separation anxiety

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LEV_20
Newborn
Newborn

separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety Empty
PostSubject: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 2:57 pm

Hi! I have a 1 year old husky. His separation anxiety is so bad. He literally pees and poops everytime I leave him alone (even if I just took him out to potty). I’ve read that melatonin is good for separation anxiety? Any feedback on this?

I feel like I’ve tried everything. And nothing works.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 5:34 pm

As you mentioned, I had to go looking. It appears to be safe, unless there are additives to the medication that might cause problems. Chewy (not a recommendation) has several products but only one I saw that was melatonin without other drugs.

If you don't mind a few questions:
1) Is he crated when you leave? If he likes his crate, he may be more comfortable.
2) "I've tried everything" well, that does prompt, What have you tried?

Hmmmm ... wonder how that would work on one kitten?? Smile

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Thats a new one. Heard triazadone and also cbd but not melatonin.

Also is the separation anxiety specific to you or specific to being alone or is it some combo? We have a combo with spider she has separation anxiety from no people around but also has it if jerry is home but not splinter, and then has anxiety to an extent about leaving the house.

One more question, is your husky an only dog?
Back to top Go down
LEV_20
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 5:56 pm

It’s with any of us leaving the house or even if we go to another room. If he’s crated it works but I don’t feel right crating him when we are gone 5-6 hours. We do for bed and when we are home and need to step out for 1-3 hours.

I’ve tried giving him his favorite treats in his kong when I step out (that’s a hit or miss). I leave him with new chewy toys and sheets (he loves ripping up sheets)

He is an only dog!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 6:06 pm

This might sound like the exact wrong thing even though it isnt but have you considered a second dog? Huskies (and spider) are pack animals and being left behind the pack is a death sentence. I would maybe take in a very calm foster dog if yours is dog friendly, or a doggy daycare for while you are at work. Or a very sturdy outdoor dog run. Not really sure what your situation is but there are lots of tech options i would try before drugs.

I have a group of 3 and then squirt.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 pm

I have two huskies at the moment (an Alaskan and a Siberian)  the Sibe is a little pissy if she can't get out so she's crated whenever I'm going to be gone for more than a few minutes.  

Crating is a personal decision but when it comes to a misbehaving animal it tends to be a saving grace.  You said that crating works but then you're looking for another solution ... use the one you have and know works. ( I've seen messages to the effect that if this dog doesn't behave I'm going to take it to the pound. But on discussion, the dog likes its crate, can't do any damage when it's crated [with VERY few exceptions], and is happy and waiting when its people come in but the owner doesn't want to crate them. Used correctly a crate can save more than your sanity ... )

If I have to go to the city (80 miles one way) Sky's going into her crate ... I may be gone 4 hours, I may be gone 8 but neither she nor the house are any the worse for wear when I get home.  What's she do while I'm gone and she's in her crate --- she sleeps. Upon occasion, when she's decided I'm not getting up fast enough, she'll piddle on the kitchen floor (my poor kitchen floor) so for the next few nights she gets crated ... "Sky, crate." and she goes in with no problem. Besides saving my mind she's comfortable there.

Back to top Go down
LEV_20
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 8:00 pm

You’re right maybe I need to just become more comfortable with the crating. It’s for him and us, and my sanity at this point lol
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 9:17 pm

If you don't already knw, take a glance through the comments here about crating.  As I mentioned above, all I have to do is say "Sky, crate" and it's done (except for me sliding the catch).  She's comfortable in her crate and often when she's tired of Avalanche or BC playing she'll go in there to get away from it all.

The worst disservice you can do with a crate is to use it as punishment - it's not intended for a time out - it should be a secure place he likes to go.  

Best of luck ...

Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyThu Mar 17, 2022 11:56 pm

So al what if the crate isnt an option? Just curious because i have tried everything short of cameras that i can talk to spider from. But todays little panic episode had nothing to do with me or jerry, splinter escaped and was playing with the great Pyrenees/border collie that stays with the cows or chasing it off.

Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety EmptyMon Mar 21, 2022 10:10 am

I crated all mine when they were younger and not trustworthy. They've all had their 8 hour days in the crate and survived just fine so don't feel bad about crating for long periods of time as long as it is getting good exercise and stimulation when it's out. I always left the radio going so it seemed a bit more like I had just stepped out the door to go to the mailbox.

As to melatonin. I have used melatonin to help even out my female during heat but don't imagine it would work that well on high anxiety without giving a goodly amount of it. The same would go for benedryl. Neither you would want to use often. Melatonin can actually have really negative psychological effects on some people and animals so its use needs to be monitored extremely closely. Too often people think because it's natural then it must be safe when in fact a pile of people try to use it on their children and then their kids start having behavioral issues. My own husband had suicidal thoughts while trying to use melatonin to help him fall asleep. So it is absolutely no joke when I say use with extreme caution.

Actual prescription grade tranquilizers can be super effective for folks who don't need to leave often. My grandma used them for years on a dog that had extreme storm anxiety after being struck by lightening. A large number of people have had success with the thunder shirt as well. Covering a crate with a blanket when they are being locked in it can help a lot of dogs that don't like the crate also. There are a number of things that can be tried. Some work better than others for some dogs. And some dogs are just going to be upset no matter what and that is the cross they will have to bear, in which case you do what is best for their safety and the safety of the house and to hell with what they like and don't like.

PostSubject: Re: Melatonin and separation anxiety   separation - Melatonin and separation anxiety Empty

Back to top Go down

Melatonin and separation anxiety

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1