It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Cancer and rabies vaccine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GMPK1956
Newborn
Newborn
GMPK1956

Cancer and rabies vaccine  Empty
PostSubject: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 4:01 pm

Hi my Husky Kuda was diagnosed with inoperable tumors Thanksgiving week. He seems to be just fine now aside from the big shaved patches from his hospital visit not being filled in yet, but I really need your help on something. He's supposed to get his rabies shot this month but I'm afraid to have him get it. I just don't know what to do as by law he needs to be vaccinated
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 4:50 pm

Legally we are not vets and cannot offer quality medical advice, nor can we really tell you to throw the law of your land to the wind and ignore required things. So with the disclaimer that this is not valid medical or legal advice out of the way:

Were the tumors cancer or just benign fatty tumors? When dealing with actual active cancer one would forgo vaccines until cleared as cancer and the treatment for cancer lowers the immune system which could cause questionable vaccine response when given. If just benign tumors then giving your rabies vaccine shouldn't bother anything. Personally, if it was cancer and you are undergoing any form of cancer treatments then I would hold off until my dog was cleared of the cancer.

Newborn
Newborn
GMPK1956

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 6:12 pm

Thank you for responding. This has really got me tied up in knots. the vet said it's a hemangiosarcoma tumor which is a very aggressive cancer. It just sprang up out of nowhere he was fine one moment and on death's door the next. He seems perfectly fine now which is a blessing for us. It's been 2 months since and we don't know how much time we have left with him. I'm terrified of the possibility of causing the end to come any sooner than it would if he didn't get the shot.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 6:49 pm

Since I knew nothing about an hemangiosarcoma I had to go look and now wish I hadn't. It looks like the prognosis is very bad and I'm really sorry that there doesn't seem to be any good news on the web. Your description of its appearance seems to be typical, there seem to be no warnings that a dog has it ... now they appear fine and then they don't.

Considering that the time you have left is going to be precious to both (all?) of you, I wouldn't worry about the rabies vaccine ... it probably won't adversely affect anything but why take the chance.

In most states, the vet can give a certificate that eliminates the need for required vaccines, you might want to check.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
GMPK1956
Newborn
Newborn
GMPK1956

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyMon Jan 23, 2023 8:57 pm

Thank you very much for the reply. I have heard about the vaccine exemption and will look into it further. From what I've read it sounds like the dog isn't allowed to be outside or around any people if they're not vaccinated and with Kuda that'd be worse than having cancer. I have no idea how long we have left with him. Right now, you'd never know there was even anything wrong with him. According to the vet at the hospital, the tumor ruptured. Basically, right now he's being held together by a blood clot. The thought of doing anything that could cause it to burst and kill him is unthinkable to me. We got him 6 years ago from a husky rescue and he's as much a part of the family as anyone else in the house. Again thank you so much for replying.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 10:57 am

I went through bone cancer with one of mine a couple years ago. We got about 6 months from diagnosis to when we had to make the call. Meds like prednisone can make a world of difference for a time but they do eventually get where they don't make an impact. Without the vaccine you won't be able to get into permitted dog parks, doggy daycare, and a few other things where they check. You may incur a fine from the city if they happen to find out.

Frankly, I haven't vaccinated my old dogs in years. We don't go places with them where they check. My younger dog goes to daycare so he must be up on everything. I do not live in town where I have to register my dog though. Not sure where you are located but standard procedure around here is if they bite someone and they aren't vaccinated then they will have to go through a hold period to be monitored for signs of rabies. Being vaccinated doesn't remove you from liability if they bite someone though so you only remove yourself from some fines and a possible quarantine period by doing the vaccination assuming he does have a run in with someone in a way that would trigger you needing to prove his records.

As far as being protected from rabies, titer testing has suggested a rabies vaccine is actually good upwards of 7+ years, not only 3 years like vets like to put them on a schedule for, so if he was up-to-date prior then he is still protected, you just don't have paperwork fitting the societal construct.

Rabies Challenge Fund Research Study

Newborn
Newborn
GMPK1956

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 4:05 pm

Thanks. I'm waiting for the vet to call back but it looks like she's going to say to get the vaccine according to what I was told when I called the office they don't feel it poses any danger to Kuda. We'll see. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyTue Jan 24, 2023 6:26 pm

They are programmed to say that. It puts money in their pocket to give them and, in theory, there shouldn't be harm in it. At the end of the day though it's your dog and they shouldn't fight with you if you choose to not move forward with vaccination. Especially considering the circumstance.

Newborn
Newborn
BobbyNix

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyWed Aug 30, 2023 1:44 pm

Hello. Just signed up to this site. Just sent my husky/australian sheperd
Sydney to the Rainbow Bridge. He had what your Kuda has. 6 weeks from perfectly healthy acting dog to .....I hope your Kuda will/is doing better than my beloved Sydney. Through this past 6 week journey with Sydney, I found out there is a blood test out now that has excellent results in early detection of cancer called Onkok9 MCED (multi-cancer early detection) blood screening test. The site says "intended for dog breeds with high risk of cancer", but with 1 in 3 dogs getting cancer in their lives, it is for ALL dogs. Pure breeds should be tested starting around age 5-6, with all other dogs by their 7-8 birthday. Why my vet didn't suggest this over Sydney's past few years (I had him 11.5 years and he was full grown when I found him abandoned), is unknown to me but will be brought up when bringing my 4.5 year old Husky, Tyler, in next scheduled visit. I truly hope and pray your beloved Kuda is still with you...
Back to top Go down
GMPK1956
Newborn
Newborn
GMPK1956

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyWed Aug 30, 2023 1:56 pm

Thanks for the response. It's been going on 9 months since we found out Kuda had inoperable cancer and somehow he's still going strong. At the beginning of May, he had another episode and we thought it was the end. but somehow he recovered. He did experience a few days of incontinence after it happened but has been fine ever since. We're just taking it day by day and enjoying every moment we can with him.
Back to top Go down
BobbyNix
Newborn
Newborn
BobbyNix

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyWed Aug 30, 2023 4:44 pm

Don't have the words to explain how happy I am your Kuda is still with you. Going thru Sydneys journey, came across this herbal supplements that some pet lovers say helped with their pets cancer. It's call I'm-Yunity, a Chinese herbal medicine that's been around a long time. I tried it with Syd but it became too hard to get anything down his throat. Check out their site and read from other dog owners going thru what Kuda has. It may help. I don't know how this site works, but I have basically 5 weeks worth of I'm-Yunity capsules you can have free of charge. Sydney loved all dogs, and cats. In Sydneys name, if these I'm-Yunity supplements could help Kuda, Syd would be happy.
Back to top Go down
GMPK1956
Newborn
Newborn
GMPK1956

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  EmptyWed Aug 30, 2023 4:58 pm

Kuda's issue is the tumors on his kidney burst and his blood pressure hits the floor when it happens. The vet gave us Yunnan Baiyou powder. which clots the blood outside of the relapse e had in May it seems to do the trick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cancer and rabies vaccine    Cancer and rabies vaccine  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cancer and rabies vaccine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1