It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello from WV!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Husky_Rune22
Newborn
Newborn

Hello from WV!! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from WV!!   Hello from WV!! EmptyTue Apr 25, 2023 6:51 am

Rune my husky who is now almost 10 months old came into our lives on my birthday last year when he was just a wee one. I love this creature almost if not as much as my two sons who also love him!!! About three months into our journey with Rune he started having seizures which he is still having. When he is sleeping is the only time the seizures hit. Very heartbreaking to watch and to comfort him. We are currently on the second medication to try and get them under control. I am doing everything I can within my financial means to help my Siberian companion. Throughout the very turbulent at times journey with Rune we have grown to be well best friends!!! My girlfriend absolutely does not feel the same at all. This is because Mr. Rune is absolutely out of control!!! This dog plays aggressively with the family especially my girlfriend. It gets worse when I leave for work, she says he will whine and whine at the door then once he realizes I'm gone.... Attack mode. Try the crate he does the husky scream and will not stop. We have a huge yard and live in the country neighbors are not right up on us. Bought a tie out which gives him plenty of room to run. Want to eventually rid of all leashes.(hopefully). Does anyone have any advice or some guidance for me? It's going to come down to my girlfriend leaving me over him. And I don't want to have to make that choice!!! Thank you so much for reading this and for your time!!! Hope you all and your Siberian friends have a wonderful day!!!!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Hello from WV!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from WV!!   Hello from WV!! EmptyTue Apr 25, 2023 10:11 am

He is at the terrible teen phase where they become jerks and have massive amounts of energy. A tie out and play time in the yard will not be enough for a husky to burn off energy. Puzzle toys and training can help to mentally wear him out. Swimming is a good low impact to growing joints way to get some physical exercise. Dog park and doggy daycare are also great options for dogs who are good with other dogs. This is an age where they get over stimulated really easily and they don't know how to express themselves so they tend to become terrors looking to get into anything and everything, become destructive, and have tantrums. I have one that is a little over a year. He goes to daycare twice a week and is getting two walks a day totaling over 6 miles a day, and we are starting half marathon training. While at 10 months Rune is still too young to do long walks with or running, but several shorter walks throughout the day in places with a lot of interesting things to sniff can help curb some of that. The GF needs to step up and help with him. If she spends any amount of time with him she needs to also bond with him so she can have some control over him. If she would take him for a walk when you leave that would give them time to bond, him an energy outlet, and show him that good things do come when you leave the house so he shouldn't feel like it's the end of the world. Huskies don't really chill out until 3 to 5 years so there is a lot of time ahead of dealing with a high energy dog that needs a lot of work. They are very routine oriented and establishing the routine can help teach the "off" switch of when is play time and when is not. This is very important for those who work from home and don't want a dog constantly acting out in the middle of a meeting. We do our morning walk then mine are expected to settle down while I get some work done until the noon outing, then quiet/calm again until the afternoon/evening walk. Established times have assisted in stopping the random outbursts for my pup.

Huskies are not really good "farm" dogs. It's a very rare thing that they will just hang out loose around the property and never leave like a lot of labs and hounds and typical country dogs. They are curious, prey motivated, high energy, and will take themselves for a walk for miles if allowed to run loose which usually gets them in trouble if there's any livestock around to chase, or neighbor cats. Suggest looking into wireless fence setup if not in a position to put in a physical fence. I had the stay and play system for mine back in the day. It would cover an acre and was a plug 'n play system with no trenching like the old wired systems. You still must train him to the boundary. Never just strap a efence system to their neck and turn them loose.

Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

Hello from WV!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from WV!!   Hello from WV!! EmptyTue Apr 25, 2023 8:31 pm

I have to echo @TwisterII I had a Husky who was great at being close, all I had to do was yell and she'd come running --- until one time she didn't.

While I have a GSD pupping who's aggravating the blazes out of us, he stays within easy calling range of the house (and I live in the desert in South Texas and have no close neighbors). The other two are on lead of some kind anytime they're outside. One loss was quite enough.

One one hand, I can sympathize with "attack" but Huskies are known to be extremely rough when they play. Two Huskies playing sound like a full in dog fight ... till they head to the water bowl together. As far as your GF, I'm with Jenn, she needs to take an active part in his life. Let her do something simple like feeding him and he'll soon get the idea that she's part of the family.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
wooley4pk
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2023-01-05

Hello from WV!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from WV!!   Hello from WV!! EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 12:58 pm

Hello, Another newbie here. We currently have husky siblings and they do burn alot of energy playing with each other. We took them all to training and after class they would all pass out. If you try training for 20 minutes a day, or one of the puppy puzzles has helped us with mental exercise.

I second, the off leash is probably not a good idea. I had a husky years ago when I was 16, and if she got out, she was gone. We would chase her for hours. I am lucky when I have a fenced in yard and so far no one has gotten that curious yet and wanted out.
Back to top Go down
Husky_Rune22
Newborn
Newborn

Hello from WV!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from WV!!   Hello from WV!! EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 8:59 pm

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. It is greatly appreciated!!! It is nice to meet you all. Hope you had a wonderful day today!!
Back to top Go down
Lostmaniac
Senior
Senior
Lostmaniac

Female Join date : 2018-10-22

Hello from WV!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from WV!!   Hello from WV!! EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 12:53 am

Yeah we thought squirt could be loose. Then the blm called and said her and shadow were stealing food from campgrounds in the national monument 10 miles down river from where we lived. Then we also found out she was killing cattle. We had 10 acres and again lik al in the desert with no neighbors for miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from WV!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from WV!!   Hello from WV!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from WV!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: The Welcome Mat-