It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Summa summa sumertime!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

Female Join date : 2011-05-09

Summa summa sumertime! Empty
PostSubject: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptySun May 15, 2011 9:13 pm

So here we are in the middle of May(still cold here in NY btw, a whopping 53 degrees today) and I am thinking about the coming summer heat. Last year it was a real struggle keeping Miko cool enough that she could be comfortable. We had some really hot days that were around 100 degrees with nothing but humidity. We froze water bottles to give to her. That worked for a while until she started chewing on them. We gave her lots of ice cubes, and let her run in the sprinkler. We took her to the lake but she really doesn't like swimming.
I read a suggestion on another sight to soak rope toys in water and freeze them which I will definately try. Any other suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Do you have a kiddie pool that she can play in?

I really have to limit outside time during the summer months. Really we only take walks in the morning and evening, before the sun comes up and and after the sun has set. During the day the dogs go out several times in the yard to potty and have a real quick run around/play session if they so choose but most of the time it's in and out, especially the hotter days. Being indoors with A/C is your best defense. It does often create a slightly more stir crazy sibe but what can ya do?

Ours also loves his sandbox when it's hot. He'll dig a little and then chill out on the cool sand (I made sure his sandbox is positioned in the shade most of the day).

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:37 pm

I don't have much else to add here. In general, we use the sprinkler and the kiddie pool. I also give my two access to room with A/Cs going during the day since we don't have central air. They also always have water available and a fan to blow on them.

But I hear ya.... our summers definitely get brutal because of the humidity!

Summa summa sumertime! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptySun May 15, 2011 10:52 pm

Summer is when I'll use a doggy daycare that has an indoor/outdoor play area where the indoor part is temperature controlled and the outdoor area is partly shaded. I'll go maybe twice a month in July and August when it gets really hot here.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:23 pm

We hike in the mountins but in denver its dry and we never get to hot, we maybe a week or 2 total in the 100's all summer. We don't have AC so we have fans and the tile floors that keep them cool.

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptySun May 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Our first husky LOVED heat. Odd... She would bake 3 feet in front of a roaring fire all winter and then search for the sun shining in the windows all summer. She did enjoy the basement on really hot days. Even though the area down there was finished into a family room, play room and office, it was noticably cooler down there. She would bask in the sun or heat, inside and outside, and then look for a cooler spot to chill off a little.

The new guy seems to "die" when it's hot. We laugh at his wild panting. The temperature has only risen to around 80 degrees a couple times this spring, so I don't know what we are in for when it reaches 100! I am looking forward to reading all the ideas you get from others as well. Staying in the A/C all day with a hyper 6-8 month old might get a little crazy!
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 12:49 am

We deal with the heat most of the year down here. We spend plenty of time in the pool, but there are days when we just can't fit in pool time. Frankie will lay on the tile under the air conditioning vents in the house.
When we go for our daily walks, I use a doggie backpack and pack it with ice packs. The ice starts to melt and the backpack stays cool. You could also freeze water bottles to put in the backpack. I have also seen cooling collars, vests, and beds at various pet shows. I'm sure they could be found online.
Back to top Go down
beck3465
Teenager
Teenager
beck3465

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 1:31 am

We also walk very early in the morning, and play in the yard early in the morning. By 8:30 am they are back inside in the air conditioning. They like to lay on the tile floor. Late in the day they play in the yard and they have a kiddie pool which they love. They will retrieve their frisbees in the pool by putting their whole head in the water. It is hilarious!!! It has already reached the 90's in Texas. UGH!
Back to top Go down
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Dee, good tip on the backpacks! I have seen the cooling beds but I am afraid that Miko will eat it. She ate her last two beds and I won't buy her another one.
I have honestly been afraid to get a pool in fear that she may end up with hot spot from not drying completely. Am I just being paranoid?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 2:54 pm

Becky wrote:
I have honestly been afraid to get a pool in fear that she may end up with hot spot from not drying completely. Am I just being paranoid?
If that's your reason for not getting a pool, I would say you might want to reconsider Smile Most of us have kiddie pools for the dogs in the summer. Their coats are deceiving and dry extraordinarily fast and she may not even submerge herself completely in the water (Koda doesn't, but I know some who do). It's worth a shot if it makes her cool and happy Smile

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:11 pm

That's a great idea Dee! I should definitely look into doggie backpacks and put ice in them for their daily walks! Mya deals with the Heat just fine, but Kody goes around the park once and wants to go back home. I try to walk them later in the evening, but by the time it cools down a bit it's like almost 8pm and I have to cook and do house stuff. Have to love this South Florida heat!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Lots of A/C for my boys here in Oklahoma and weekend trips to the dog park to swim in the pond. One of mine really doesn't seem to mind as he goes out the dog door and lays in the sun on a 100 degree day. Each dog is an individual but the undercoat is insulating to the heat as well as cold. Dogs release most of their heat through the paws and the head so wading pools work even if they don't lay in them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyTue May 17, 2011 2:04 am

Koda wrote:
Becky wrote:
If that's your reason for not getting a pool, I would say you might want to reconsider Smile Most of us have kiddie pools for the dogs in the summer. Their coats are deceiving and dry extraordinarily fast and she may not even submerge herself completely in the water (Koda doesn't, but I know some who do). It's worth a shot if it makes her cool and happy Smile

Thanks Tori. I am going to get a kiddie pool. I can't help but laugh at myself because I really am a paranoid parent.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyTue May 17, 2011 9:41 am

Becky wrote:
....I can't help but laugh at myself because I really am a paranoid parent.

You're not alone...I'm a really paranoid husky parent! Razz

Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:31 pm

So I guess I should be happy that Miko will let me know when she is too hot. We went to the park today for a nice long walk followed by free play in the dog. The dog park is an old tennis court that is completely fenced in. It has rained here for the passed 4 or 5 days so there were some large puddles. Miko had a great time running around with a little chichuahua looking dog and an italian mastiff pup(absolutely gorgeous dog and at 6 months already bigger than Miko, btw). So after a while she walked over and laid down in the puddle.

Here's a pic when she got up.

Summa summa sumertime! Puddle10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Ugh- I need to get your cell number so you can just text me when you're going to the park! This weekend got a little tied up with some stuff.

She looks like she had fun though! I can't wait until we get rid of all this rain!

Back to top Go down
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:12 am

I'll send you a PM
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyFri May 20, 2011 12:17 am

Ok!

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Koda wrote:
Ugh- I can't wait until we get rid of all this rain!

Get ready for some more. Seems tomorrow (Sat. 5/21) will be nice and sunny and then starting Sunday we'll be getting rain right up to Thursday.

I'm starting to get worried as to when or if Noah will be parking the ark in my driveway and wanting to onload Adobo & Biko, won't do him any good since they're both spay/neutered.
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptyFri May 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Mine both have a cooling vest that they wear when it gets super hot. Its made by by ruffwear. They also have cooling bandanas, but they just don't work as well as the vest. I love that I can put the vest over their running harnesses. If you just type in ruffwear cooling vest in any search site you will find it.
Back to top Go down
Becky
Puppy
Puppy
Becky

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! EmptySat May 21, 2011 12:15 am

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
Mine both have a cooling vest that they wear when it gets super hot. Its made by by ruffwear. They also have cooling bandanas, but they just don't work as well as the vest. I love that I can put the vest over their running harnesses. If you just type in ruffwear cooling vest in any search site you will find it.

Thanks Melissa I will definately sheck it out!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summa summa sumertime!   Summa summa sumertime! Empty

Back to top Go down

Summa summa sumertime!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-