It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Husky Growth Rates?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Autumn wrote:
She really doesn't have much in the way of guard hair, I can't even describe her coat, she's soft and fluffy and does not at all have the guard hair that I have seen on normal sibes her age, she is pretty much just all fluffy hair, think angora bunny kind of fluffy and that soft too.The hairs that I see that I would call guard hair are black and are white at the skin end.
She's just taking longer to grow out of her puppy hair. If she's anything like Koda (and their coats look seriously identical from his puppy picture) she'll likely always still have a bit of fluff in her undercoat, but she'll eventually grow noticeable guard hairs as time goes on.

I think you'll have to wait and see for sure, but judging by her puppy pictures and your descriptions of the guard hairs that she does have, agouti would still be my best guess.

Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

Female Join date : 2010-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:02 pm

Do you have some puppy pics of Koda I could look at?
Back to top Go down
http://www.humanesocietyofhobart.org
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 4:09 pm

Autumn wrote:
Do you have some puppy pics of Koda I could look at?
These are the only ones I have of him. The first one is the one you can tell the best.... you can see his puppy hair still growing out... but his undercoat hair now is identical to the pictures you just posted.

Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Image010
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Image011
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Image012

He's almost entirely black and white now, but you can still seem cream color all over him. Your girl is a bit more brown than he ever was though, which is why I say agouti. With that coloring and the banded guard-hairs, that's my best guess.

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Hmm, maybe she's a sable. What did her breeder have her down as? If they didn't give you a color I would talk to another experienced breeder and get their opinion on her color.

Sable dogs have a red, chocolate or orange undercoat. Points (eye rims, nose and lips) are black. Individual guard hairs are banded (each strand has multiple colors).

Agouti - There is often a brindle look to the coat because individual hairs are banded with multiple colors. The coloring extends far down the legs and the faces are darker than normal. The lighter markings are cream instead of the more common bright white of the traditional "Irish coat" Siberian husky. A black tipped tail is common for an agouti.

If you refer to this color chart example, and you compare her to examples, I'm also thinking she's more Sable:
http://www.huskycolors.com/colors.html#cat1

Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

I would love to have a petite full grown 35 lb female, it would be so much easier to handle and travel with!

I loved my tiny girl! Sad

Autumn, perhaps your baby will be petite. It does have it's advantages. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KatoTA
Newborn
Newborn
KatoTA

Female Join date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:07 pm

SHe is VERY adorable!! ... U guys make me want to get another one!!... I actually want Kato to stay this small for a few years.. so I can enjoy his puppy-hood.. even tho.. its alittle painful (speaking of nibbling/biting) Very Happy . I have never seen a long haired sibe before... VERY CUTE!!!!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Wow, very cute! She looks like a little bear. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:04 pm

cmanding wrote:
If you refer to this color chart example, and you compare her to examples, I'm also thinking she's more Sable:
http://www.huskycolors.com/colors.html#cat1

I still think she looks more agouti.

Here's a similar colored dog under the pic examples of agouti in the site you linked to...
As a puppy:
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 AgoutiLaska

As an adult:
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 AgoutiLaskaL

Sables and Agoutis can be tricky since they often go through extreme coat changes, anyone that is familiar with Tiffany's agouti Keno can attest to that.

Keno is an agouti and started out extremely dark with heavy, easily recognizable agouti markings. As he grew (literally throughout puppyhood) he got lighter and lighter and really, today when I see pics of him, my first thought would be a typical black/white or wolf grey but he is in fact an agouti which you will see most clearly from his puppy pics. The following pics of Keno are Tiffany's by the way.

Keno @ 2 weeks
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 2weeksold

Keno @ 10 weeks
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 031

Keno @ 4 months (notice how light he got!)
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 009

Keno @ 1 year
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 20100209_109

Keno @ 2 years
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 373

Just a couple examples to compare to.

Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm

WOW, if not for the facial marking it looks like a completely different dog at 4 months! Its very possible she could be considered agouti. There are so many different opinions on what exactly is considered to be agouti. She looked very much like that pup in the first pic in the first photos I ever saw of her and I know though she's light right now, much can change as she matures.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:56 pm

As for size, my 6-7month old is about the same size as yours. It seems like she's taking forever to grow! She's still so small, but I think it seems that way cause I have Siku to compare her to. And yes, I think she'll be fine to pull a sled when she grows up. Huskies were bred to be a certain size (not too big) to be just right for sledding.

Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 18, 2011 10:14 pm

I've also just found a large area around her neck that the undercoat is a charcoal color!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:38 pm

I LOVE her color! My girl Kitty is a small husky. She is just within the minimum of the standard at about 35lbs. I think she is a bit over 20 inches, but I haven't measured in a while. She seemed to stop growing at about a year and a half. My other girl didn't really stop growing until two, and tops out at about 45lbs. Both of mine pull the sled just fine. My smaller one actually keeps pace better than the lager one. (Don't tell Luka I said that...) tongue

As for color, I think it will be difficult to say until her guard hairs grow in. Some just keep that puppy coat longer than others. Definitely agouti or sable. My guess is she will darken up, as the undercoat is usually lighter than the guard hairs.

I've always wanted a pup that color! Your lucky to have such a beautiful girl.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:06 pm

Autumn wrote:
I've also just found a large area around her neck that the undercoat is a charcoal color!
Koda still has charcoal AND white undercoating. In fact, some of his undercoat hair is banded. I'm posting pictures so you can see. I think their coats are very similar.

Undercoat on Koda's side/back/abdomen
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Dsc08915

Undercoat on his thigh
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Dsc08916

Undercoat on his neck
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Dsc08917
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Dsc08918

Undercoat on his butt
Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Dsc08919

Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:42 pm

interesting, so it's not uncommon for their undercoats to be different in different spots on their body. I found the charcoal area on her neck while I was applying some frontline.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Yep, our boy has mostly white undercoat but he does have some areas that his undercoat is very dark...and the darker undercoat is mostly around his neck area.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Elara has some white and some cream colored undercoat. All of Siku's undercoat is white.

Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
KatoTA
Newborn
Newborn
KatoTA

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:25 pm

We went walking the other day and our neighbor down the street just adopted a 2 years old 35lb siberian husky. She looks like she was only 6 months old... she is an absolute beauty....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Give me the dog and nobody gets hurt... I am in love!
Back to top Go down
Autumn
Puppy
Puppy
Autumn

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 2:31 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
Give me the dog and nobody gets hurt... I am in love!

ROFL
Back to top Go down
KatoTA
Newborn
Newborn
KatoTA

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 2:36 pm

I wanted to kidnap that dog as well... but only after Kato starts behaving...
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Adobo just turned 5 yrs last month and people still approach and say "Oh I thought she was just a puppy."
Back to top Go down
Loves2Share
Newborn
Newborn
Loves2Share

Female Join date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 am

Beautiful! Very Happy I'm so glad this thread is here- I was wondering about Niko's sizing... The last few times we've been to the vet his weight has gone up 1-3 pounds, but that's it. Glad to see that's kind of normal...

His double fangs are starting to come in today (or yesterday), which the vet said is the 5.5 month marker, changing his approx birthday to 2/22/11! He also got neutered yesterday (I told him his resale value just plummeted!)- poor little pup!

Thanks again for being an awesome forum!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 9:52 am

Glad we could help Smile

Back to top Go down
Ambrose
Puppy
Puppy
Ambrose

Female Join date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:33 am

A funny note my show Danes were sometimes 35lbs at 10 weeks hehe I never thought of Killian as big until I polled the sight here. She is 25 inches at the shoulder and my co-owned male is 38 inches at the shoulder hehe
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 11:47 am

A SIBE that's 38 inches at the shoulder?? Or is that the dane?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Husky Growth Rates?   Husky Growth Rates? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Husky Growth Rates?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next