It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Nose Pigmentation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm

The American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologist (ACVO) sponsors free eye exams every year for registered service dogs and therapy dogs. There are only a handful of Vets who participate in this program, however we really lucked out and were able to make an appointment at a great speciality/emergency animal hospital down here. So since it was free, we registered and scheduled an appointment. We went today and Frankie eyes were perfect Very Happy YAY!

However the eye vet asked if Frankie has always has the pink spots on his nose. I wasn't really sure, but I do know I just seemed to notice it one day. He recommended that I keep a photo journal of his nose (he took pics too for his records) to make sure it doesn't get pinker as losing pigmentation in the nose can be indicative of more serious issues. He said there are no issues now but to watch his nose along with his skin and any changes should be looked at. Keeping a photo journal wont' be too difficult Wink

I know Huskies are prone to "snow nose" in the winter months, but we don't exactly get winter in FL. I'm not worried, just curious. Anyone heard of this or had any issues with it?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 5:47 pm

What's 'snow nose'?

Funny you brought this topic up about his nose...Recently, I noticed a dot on one side of Ginger's nose. At first I thought she nicked it somewhere and that it would scab over and that'd be the end of that. But it's a small pink-ish dot...

I'll watch this 'dot' on her nose too....

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Claudia,
snow nose is what S&J have, look at todays pictures and you can really see it on Jack. it is the pink middle on the nose. mine have it year round it just gets pinker in the winter Smile i love it.

from the pics you have of Frankie in your sig. it looks like he has a faint hint of snow nose.

cmanding

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Aw, I love snow nose!
Storm has a tiny hint of snow nose Very Happy

Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-17

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:36 pm

I've seen Sibes born without their snow nose. It usually started showing up right around their first winter shed OR their second year, when they grew in their adult coat. It seems more common in the darker colors. Gustav, although he is a mix, did the same thing. It went from completely black, to grey and black, and then finally BRIGHT pink and black. In your sig, Frankie has the SAME nose that Gustav did for a while. I think he's just "growing in his nose". Lol.

Also, scabs and injuries to the nose can result in a lighter color for a while. Zander had a scratch on his nose for a while, and it was the same shade of his nose stripe . It faded back to dark red eventually.

Both of my boys have their snow nose year-round, and we are in Mississippi. I think it's just part of their markings.
Back to top Go down
CoffeeK8
Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Nikolai definitely has a snow nose. Lemme hunt down a picture... or rather, I'll snap one when I get home after work.

ETA: You can definitely see it in this picture.
Back to top Go down
Dee&Frankie
Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:18 pm

I figured it was just part of their markings. I think it's kinda cute. But of course I had to look at older pictures. His nose was all black at one point, but then again he also had a full black mask around his eyes too that has also faded.

3/2010
Nose Pigmentation  Nose_m10

5/2011
Nose Pigmentation  Nose_m11

His dark mask 10/09
Nose Pigmentation  Img00010
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Ginger's nose is pink under her nostrils, like Frankie's....
I think it was always like that since we adopted her on August 4, 2010.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Dee, those pics of Frankie look like a normal snow nose starting to come in. Perfectly normal! It starts out small looking like little dots of faint pink emerging and gets pinker and pinker. Dogs can get snow noses regardless of season or climate. Typically the snow nose appears in winter (hence the name) because the dog does not need the dark pigmentation to protect from sun damage which is why typically you'll see the black nose (or lack of a snow nose) in summer when their nose is more prone to summer sun damage...since pink is more vulnerable to sunburns than black. Wink But that isn't always the case and some dogs have snow noses year round, others change slightly but not completely, and really there's just a whole range of combinations. lol

Here's Dakota's nose changes as an example going from black to snow nose:

Black
Nose Pigmentation  Head

Changing
Nose Pigmentation  58

Changing
Nose Pigmentation  _DSC8844

Snow nose!
Nose Pigmentation  20

Most of the year he's somewhere between a snow nose and black.

cmanding

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Wow!
That was cute to scroll down and reading the caption until suddenly, 'SNOW NOSE!'
Razz

Now, I'll have to keep an eye on Ginger and Storm to see if their nose changes in the winter...

Huskyluv

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 10:54 pm

I remember a couple months after we adopted our sibe, the hubby and I were going through pics he had taken and I freaked out saying "Is his nose changing color?!" Laughing I had no idea what a snow nose was back then despite spending several years researching the breed before we adopted. Rolling Eyes

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyWed May 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Mya has snow nose also! Just learned the name though..lol. I love it! It's so cute! I have a fairly big tattoo of her on my thigh and the snow nose came out perfect! I LOVE IT! Yes, a tattoo of Mya..lol
Back to top Go down
j.gabriel
Puppy
Puppy
j.gabriel

Female Join date : 2011-01-17

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 10:27 am

So far Reiko's has stayed black, but his coat keeps changing colors!

Aww a tattoo of Mya! I would love to see!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:11 am

j.gabriel wrote:
So far Reiko's has stayed black, but his coat keeps changing colors!

Aww a tattoo of Mya! I would love to see!

I'll post some pics up! =)
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 11:29 am

MelissaI wrote:

Here's the link to your new thread to make it easier for people to find. Wink

My Mya Tattoo

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
MelissaI wrote:

Here's the link to your new thread to make it easier for people to find. Wink

My Mya Tattoo

Thanks Val! =)
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  EmptyThu May 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Luka has a snow nose that stays all year! She got it her second winter with us and is been there ever since. I'm glad it stays, I love it! My boyfriend calls it the broken snow nose due to the fact it doesn't change! Don't think Kitty will ever get a snow nose due to her dark pigment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nose Pigmentation  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nose Pigmentation    Nose Pigmentation  Empty

Back to top Go down

Nose Pigmentation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1