It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

4Health Dog food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon May 23, 2011 8:03 pm

I went to the Tractor Supply Company today and found this dog food, 4Health. It looks like it is made just for The Tractor Supply Compnay. Can anyone tell me if this looks like a good/bad? It wasn't listed on dogfoodanalysis.com, but it was on dogfoodadvisor.com and was rated 4 stars.

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, millet, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zince sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
crude protien 26.0%
Crude fat 15.0%
crude fiber 4.0 %
moisture 10.0%
Zinc 150mg/kg
Selenium .4 mg/kg
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg
Omega-6 fatty acids 2.5%
Omega-3 fatty acids .4%
Glucosamine Hydrochloride 300 mg/kg
chondroitin sulfate 100 mg/kg
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:19 pm

If I fed a grain-inclusive food, I wouldn't mind feeding 4Health. I'd seen it before and been impressed. Ideally, I'd like a LITTLE more protein (for instance, if the fish meal were higher on the list) would be nice, but the ingredients are all good, no red flags really. However, because it includes rice, I wouldn't feed it.

I'd say that 4 stars is a about right. If we're on a 6* scale. 4/5 is a bit high though. It's definitely a solid food. Much better and more affordable than most foods out there.

4Health Dog food Hailey10
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks! I figured it had to be way better than what I am feeding them now an this is actually cheaper since you get 5lbs more a bag for just a buck more. I just can't increase my dog food budget just yet so I was hoping this would be a good alternative until I can. I realized I was very ignorant about dog food and that I was feeding my dogs crap when I joined this forum. Looking at all the nutrition information makes my head spin. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Koda wrote:
However, because it includes rice, I wouldn't feed it.

This brings up another question, how come it is ok to feed actual rice with real chicken but not ok if rice is in kibble?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:49 pm

I've fed 4Health previously to Adobo & Mylo, they seemed to like it, had no problems with BMs and such. I just decided that I was going the grain free direction other wise I'd still would use the stuff.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:52 pm

My goal is to go grain free....I just got to ease into it. Right now I got a kid in college and I am still paying off my surgery bill. I tried it out on Dakota tonight and he picked his old food out of the bowl and ate this stuff. I would say he likes it.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon May 23, 2011 9:57 pm

26nikita wrote:
Koda wrote:

This brings up another question, how come it is ok to feed actual rice with real chicken but not ok if rice is in kibble?
I won't feed rice when I do a bland diet. Rice is okay if you feed grains, but mine don't do well on grains, so I won't feed it.

4Health Dog food Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyTue May 24, 2011 12:06 am

I looked this up thinking it might be an optional alternate food for Sabaka. I then realized our nearest Tractor Supply is a little far away. Crying or Very sad

I buy Merrick's Whole Earth Farms for about the same price. It is a very similar food, I think. I'm paying for two kids to be in private school, so I've set a price-per-pound limit on my dog food as well.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyTue May 24, 2011 7:11 am

26nikita wrote:

Rice is okay to feed dogs whether as part of a bland diet or in kibble. The main reason many of us sibe owners avoid it is that many sibes cannot tolerate rice. Another reason is that many of us feed grain free so it would be contradictory to feed a grain as part of a bland diet if you normally feed grain free kibble.

Aside from a few useless fillers, I'd say 4Health is not a bad food at all if you are looking for a decent, grain inclusive food.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyTue May 24, 2011 10:35 am

Koda wrote:
26nikita wrote:
Koda wrote:

I won't feed rice when I do a bland diet. Rice is okay if you feed grains, but mine don't do well on grains, so I won't feed it.

My girl doesn't do well on grains either, so I also feed grain free. I had to have her on a bland diet at one point, and it was hard boiled eggs and carrots back then.

Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyTue May 24, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks for the information! Dakota has been on grain kibble his whole life and we have had no issues, but I obviously want to give them better if I can.

Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Stopped by Tractor Supply Company after work and noticed they now carry a Salmon and Potatoe in the 4Health. It's a 35lb bag for $34.99. That's a really good price for those of you wanting to to do ALMOST grain free.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:24 pm

26nikita wrote:
Stopped by Tractor Supply Company after work and noticed they now carry a Salmon and Potatoe in the 4Health. It's a 35lb bag for $34.99. That's a really good price for those of you wanting to to do ALMOST grain free.

Whoa got my attention there. Adobo & Biko both do so well on the salmon type foods. I just might have to go and try a bag.

Did you notice if it is regular potato or sweet potato.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 7:30 pm

It's regular potato. I bought a bag instead of the TOTW... I'm gonna see how mine do on it.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:56 pm

I thought I would give a review on the 4Health Salmon & Potato. We've gone through a full bag now and so far so good. The only noticeable difference from TOTW is it is giving one of my girls a bit of gas. I'm guessing only one because I have only smelled it maybe once a week. Nothing like it was when they were on TOTW high prairie. My guess would be Willow because she seems to be the most sensitive of the three. I went ahead and got another bag to see if they continue to do well on it.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 2:27 pm

I wanted to do another update. We have been on the 4Health since April and the gas issue went away. It didn't last long and I wish I had kept better track cause now I am thinking it was only while they were on that first bag. Both of mine are doing great on it . When I had them on Taste of the Wild, I noticed their coats had gotten better and I am glad to report that thier coats still look great now that they are on 4Health. I am sticking with the Salmon and Potato. I even switched my cat to 4Health since she has allergy problems. She was on crappy food before. I have not had any allergy issues with her since BUT, her allergies came and went through out the year so she may still have issues, Ijust need to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 11:55 pm

I know this is super late but it's good to hear about this food. My breeder feeds this to their pups after they wean and I'm glad to know it's a pretty good food if you don't go grain free. I might just stick with this for the time being and then transition over to grain free when more $$ comes available.

Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Just to let everyone know they now make a grain free version if that's what you're going for. My dog loves it. I have the grain free whitefish.
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

Female Join date : 2013-06-25

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 1:12 pm

I am definitely going to try this food out! Pongo wasn't doing well on TOTW as he didn't really like eating it and he was still throwing up about once every week (yellow liquid). We recently switched him back to Wellness but it's $60/30lb bag!!! This is HALF the price! I will try the grain free salmon and let you know! First we have to eat this fresh bag of Wellness though
Back to top Go down
Ashley&Kaia
Puppy
Puppy
Ashley&Kaia

Female Join date : 2010-01-15

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 7:08 pm

I bought a little bag which was about $7 to see if she liked it...she devoured it (which is very unlike her I get excited for a food). I was feeding evo but they had a recall...tried a bunch of different foods she wouldn't touch. She didn't eat for like 3 days....so I bought Origen which it like $70 a bag which is crazy (even tho it is a very good food). So 4health is def a cost saver for me and she loves it! Can't complain!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:02 pm

4Health has 3 adult grain free formulas that I am aware of. Turkey, beef, or whitefish to choose from, so there's more than just a fish formula for those dogs who don't fare so well on fish based foods.

Newborn
Newborn
Halo_husky

Female Join date : 2013-07-07

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 10:57 am

Our trainer feeds her pups 4Health. She actually told us it's made by the same company as TOTW and that this is essentially their version made specifically for Tractor Supply. I haven't done a side to side comparison to double check what she said though.
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 2:38 pm

I bought a small bag of the grain free turkey for Pongo to try and he is picking this out of his Wellness food and leaving the Wellness all over the floor. Guess I have my answer whether he likes it or not Razz I just can't believe the quality of this food for half the price of my Wellness brand!
Back to top Go down
Lynn.Karpati
Puppy
Puppy
Lynn.Karpati

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:10 pm

So far after a couple weeks on the food. Pongo really seems to like it. We bought the ocean fish grain free this time around. His poos are actually firmer than they used to be. We might have found a winner! And affordable at that!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4Health Dog food Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Health Dog food   4Health Dog food Empty

Back to top Go down

4Health Dog food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1