It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Introducing Bear to our new baby

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BearDog
Newborn
Newborn
BearDog

Male Join date : 2011-05-16

Introducing Bear to our new baby Empty
PostSubject: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby EmptySat May 28, 2011 9:45 pm

My wife is due on June 11th and I was wondering how to go about introducing our husky to our new son. I just want to make sure that Bear is comfortable around the new baby and that our son will be safe around Bear. Has anyone been through this before? Any tips or advice?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:12 pm

I did it twice.

1) Make sure Bear is able to go into the baby's room and sniff baby clothes, lotion, diapers and bedding right now.

2) When the baby arrives, include Bear in everything. Don't forbid him from being with you and the baby. Let him sniff the baby in your arms and through the slats of his crib.

3) The parent who's holding the baby should pet and treat Bear to let him know he is not being replaced...and who knows, maybe he'll think the baby is actually giving him the treats. Very Happy

You will not be leaving the baby anywhere unsupervised for a long time. Bear will certainly get used to the baby by the time the baby is able to lay on the floor and play. For now the baby will be in a crib, swing, playpen, etc. and Bear will be able to get to know the baby. Teach him a command to associate with the baby like "Be gentle". I think dogs instinctively know that the baby is fragile. Your main concern is to make sure the dog does not feel left out of the "new" family; however, it is important to make sure he knows that he ranks below the baby in the pack. And that's a hard one. My biggest concern for the safety of our baby was when he got old enough to mess with the dog's food. Many people mess up by beginning to shut their dog out of certain areas of the house because they fear the dog hairs getting on the baby. Our kids ate more dog hair than I want to know about! When the baby begins to crawl using his little, sticky hands, dog hairs will be all stuck on his hands...it's gross! lol!

I can't wait to hear how it goes! Our husky was 5 years old when the first baby came home. I think you will do great!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Excellent advise, Lisa!

Adult
Adult
Dee&Frankie

Female Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Great advise Lisa

I would also, after the baby is born but before you bring him/her from the hospital take a blanket or piece of clothing that was on the baby and bring it home for Bear to smell to be familiar with the new smell for when the baby comes home.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby EmptySat May 28, 2011 11:04 pm

While I have never had children, I do feel that parents make it worse and more stressful on the dog when they banish them from areas of the house or panic if the dog so much as touches the baby... Lisas advice sounds spot on and I wish your family a safe delivery!

For what it's worth, my dogs (who haven't been raised around children) really just know to be gentler. Not saying you should just plop the baby down on the ground and leave it to fate... Laughing but I think there's a part of their brains that just instinctively knows this isn't a regular human, this is something different.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby EmptySat May 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks!

Dee, I remember reading that we should bring home something with baby scent on it but never actually got around to doing it.

Which reminds me that those 2-3 days of labor and delivery and hospital stay might be a little rough on Bear as well. You'll possible both be gone for a long labor (hopefully not...but likely more than the amount of time you will want to leave Bear alone) so you will need to plan for his care. Perhaps a walk and pottying and feeding... Hopefully, this won't stress him out too much. Then if you are up all night and come home to sleep the next day, you will find a pup who's ready to play!! It's been so long ago for me that I can't even remember how we handled this... I guess we had friends come over and walk him...

Again, I wish you all the best! This is kind of exciting... a real baby on the forum... YAY!
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby EmptySun May 29, 2011 12:27 am

I had a friend that is due soon, and she has been playing baby cries off her computer so her dog can get use to the new noise. She started playing it at a low volume, and is slowly increasing the volume of the recording. Not sure if it helps, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing Bear to our new baby   Introducing Bear to our new baby Empty

Back to top Go down

Introducing Bear to our new baby

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1