It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( Empty
PostSubject: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

His nose started getting pink on the bottom about 4 days ago and I figured he was getting some snow nose since Mya started developing hers around his age, but after a few days it's turned into this:

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( Kodynose

Any idea what could be wrong? The only thing that I could think of is that he ate something off of the ground that irritated it? Other than that I have no idea what this could be Sad He's actually totally normal. His nose is wet, let's us touch it, he's eating and playing as usual.

I think I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow. It's always something! My poor Kody =(
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:44 am

I hope it's nothing more than just a little irritation....keep us posted.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:49 am

You know, Siku is starting to get something like that on her lip. I wonder if the heat is causing it. My mom suggested putting her on antibiotics, but I haven't yet.

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 11:12 am

SaraB wrote:
You know, Siku is starting to get something like that on her lip. I wonder if the heat is causing it. My mom suggested putting her on antibiotics, but I haven't yet.

Hmmm, maybe the heat since this is his first summer. It's always hot in Miami though, but lately it's been very hot!!! I don't know if I should wait a few days to see if it gets better or worse before taking him to the vet. My hubby say that I always freak and take them for any little thing. I thought about putting Neosporin on it, but he'll just lick it off.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Hmm, I have no idea. I'd wait and see what happens with it, it could be as harmless as a little scratch from something outside or from Mya. I'm not one to rush my dogs to the vet, if I don't think it's seriously harmful I have no problem keeping an eye on it for a few days.

Sara, one of my MIL's dogs has something similar looking on her dogs lower lip right out in the front. It showed up one day several years ago and never went away but none of the vets are concerned about it and it's not bothering him so she just lets it be.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:20 pm

At first I thought it was a scratch also, but it's gotten bigger. So weird! Maybe I'll wait till like Friday to see if it gets better or worse.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Gotten bigger like swelling or like a bite-type bump? I would say use your judgement. If it continues to get worse and it worries you then by all means take him to the vet sooner if you feel it's necessary. Better safe than sorry but based on the picture alone I wouldn't be rushing to the vet or anything. If it is worse later today than yesterday maybe you could give the vet a quick phone call rather than driving him down there.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 pm

It doesn't really look like it, but maybe it's ringworm. You can check it with a blacklight. Ringworm glows bright green under blacklights.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Val, bigger as in wider. Originally it was just the bottom part of his nostril (the part that's the pinkest), but it's spread up to his actual nose.

Sara, ha I didn't know that dogs could get ring worm, but yep just looked it up. That's crazy. It doesn't really look like it to me either. Plus, I would think that ring worm itches and he's not scratching it at all.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Is it cracking and looking dry but icky at the same time? Odin had something pretty much identical to this. Antibiotics and cream cleared it up.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 2:46 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Is it cracking and looking dry but icky at the same time? Odin had something pretty much identical to this. Antibiotics and cream cleared it up.

YES YES YES! What antibiotics did the vet give Odin?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:07 pm

General antibiotics can't remember the name and I can tell you the name of the cream when I get home, ive still got some.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Ok cool. How long did Odin have it before you took him in?
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:22 pm

Hopefully it's not this but thought I would share.

http://dawgbusiness.blogspot.com/2010/08/collie-nose-discoid-lupus-erythematosus.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_discoid_lupus_erythematosus
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Vet said it could be lupus but told me to try the cream first and that took care of it. After a week you could barely see it. Odin probably had it for a week or 2. I thought it was a cold initially as he had some mucus. When the cracked skin started to spread over his nose and I saw the redness spreading too I realised it wasn't a cold so I took him in.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Oh no, I really REALLY hope it's not lupus. I'm definitely taking him in tomorrow! 4pm appt I'll let you know what the vet says Sad
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 5:57 pm

My cats got ringworm from one of my foster kittens. Evil or Very Mad And I don't think they ever acted like it itched. Hopefully it's just something like that that is easy to treat.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 8:52 pm

I hope it's something easy too! Thanks Sara
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 9:11 pm

will be waiting to hear what the Vet says, hope its a simple fix! fingers crossed for you

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyTue Jun 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks Jenn =)
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 12:24 am

OMG Kitty had the same thing happen last year! We thought it was lupus, pemphigus, or some other awful auto-immune disease. We did a biopsy and it thankfully all the tests came back negative. But the vet still couldn't pinpoint what was causing the irritation and scabbing. After thinking about what had changed in our routine, I realized what was causing it. A new dog park had opened up in our town, and its the kind where they don't mow the grass, so its full of all sorts of tall plants. We started going three to four times a week, and Kitty's scabs started to develope about two weeks after we started going. I thought it might be something at the dog park, and it was! We stopped going, and she completely cleared up. After everything was cleared up, we tried to take her back, and sure enough, the bumps and scabs came back. I think she has some sort of allergic reaction to the plants that hit her face as she runs. We tried again this year, and the bumps came back. No more dog park for Kitty, well at least ones with tall grass! The only other symptom she had besides the bumpy scabs was that she was having some small pigment changes on her nose, and it was nothing like snow-nose. They were tiny dots. Would definitly still go to the vet just in case! Hopefully its something simple like an allergy. I was worried sick waiting for Kitty's test results.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 1:05 am

Oh wow Melissa, I'm so glad it was just allergies from the tall grass for Kitty and not lupus. I thought that maybe it's something he's been sniffing or eating, but can't pin point what. He has a grass eating issue and I'm constantly stopping him so it could be that, but i'm hoping not because he does it in the yard ALL THE TIME! Kinda hard to stop him Rolling Eyes

I'm anxious to get him to the vet already! I think I worry more about them then myself. Sounds crazy, huh?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 1:11 am

Not crazy at all melissa! I have so many thing hurting me right now its crazy, but do I go to the doc, no..... but I Take the dogs if something is wrong, I at least give it a few days but I never wait to long. We just care

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 am

jbealer wrote:
Not crazy at all melissa! I have so many thing hurting me right now its crazy, but do I go to the doc, no..... but I Take the dogs if something is wrong, I at least give it a few days but I never wait to long. We just care

Same here....I *THINK* I can get over whatever it is that ails me, or I'll wait until I'm miserable with whatever's hurting before I go see a doc for myself, but when it comes to G&S, I at least call the vet ASAP!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 10:41 am

cmanding wrote:
jbealer wrote:

Same here....I *THINK* I can get over whatever it is that ails me, or I'll wait until I'm miserable with whatever's hurting before I go see a doc for myself, but when it comes to G&S, I at least call the vet ASAP!

I totally agree with both you girls! I wait until I can't take it anymore to go to the DR, but not with them! I don't have any kids, but I can totally relate when mother's take their children to the DR for any little thing. We're like this with the fur-kids so imagine!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(   What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =( Empty

Back to top Go down

What could be wrong w/ Kody's Nose? =(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next