It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Best car for transporting two huskies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MaryanneW
Newborn
Newborn
MaryanneW

Best car for transporting two huskies Empty
PostSubject: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:52 am

Thanks for reading my post. I currently have a minivan and it's been a dream for transporting our two huskies, Sitka and Chinook. There is enough cargo space to load up both crates in the back, giving them both plenty of room and keeping them safe.

I'm in the market for a new car and am wondering what vehicle you own? I'd like to downsize, but am concerned about enough cargo space in the crossovers (Kia Sorento and Chevy Traverse are on the list). I'd like to know if you crate your dogs in the car. If not, how do you keep them from running as you open the hatch? That's my biggest fear, I will admit.

I'd love to hear about your experiences and what you might suggest. Thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 3:04 am

I own a Scion XD and I can fit 2 huskies in it just fine if I have the seats down, or even if not. It's way smaller than a Sorento. I don't crate in the car, never have- my dog, now dogs, wear car harnesses that have a seatbelt attachment so they don't fling around. Also, that way I don't have to worry about them getting our when I open the hatch, though they do not try to dart out of the car usually. In crates the only 'protection' it offers is your dogs staying in one place and not roaming your car, If you are hit, they still will be thrashed, just into metal instead of the side of your car.

My next car with be a Rav4, my mom has one and the cargo area was perfect to fit Koda and another dog in and I can still have backseats.
If I didn't want backseats, I'd suggest an Element. Jenn has one and loves it, and she has 2 dogs.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:57 am

Honda Element was rated at one time as one of the best dog cars around but you better hurry for I believe 2011 will be the last year for the "E."

Myself went with the Kia Rondo (Carens in Canada) which they no longer sell in the USA but do in Canada. Liked it enough where we bought another 2009 Rondo, 2 weeks ago. Now debating what design will be put on this back window to match the other.

Best car for transporting two huskies Img1332cz

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 am

Well, Hello there Maryanne!

We have a Pathfinder and with a monster husky and a regular size husky, we do have enough space for both Sibes and gear. If we pack up to stay the weekend somewhere, I think we'll still have enough space. Once we load up bags, they really only have half the space, so they can't really move around much at that point. We do have harnesess with seat belt attachments, like Heather, although with the seats down, I have yet to figure out how, if possible, to belt them. I am lucky, however, that even without gear, they don't move around, and when I open the back door, they don't dart out. We had to work on that a little with Storm, but he's good now.

We also have a Highlander and that works just as well with enough space for G&S and gear.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 am

I just noticed that in your avatar, Sitka and Chinook look exactly alike but reverse color....or should I say, one is the negative of the other....too cute! Smile

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:34 am

We have an Xterra and I love it. Between the roof rack, our small trailer hitch, the trunk and the backseat, we've never been lacking for space. We toted a butcher block microwave cart (fully assembled), both dogs, our bags for a week including dress clothes, and ALL our christmas gifts, and three people (including ourselves) back from Christmas and although it was tight, we had no problems Smile

Best car for transporting two huskies Hailey10
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 12:11 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Honda Element was rated at one time as one of the best dog cars around but you better hurry for I believe 2011 will be the last year for the "E."

We went with a preowned Honda Element and LOVE it. We have the Element "Dog Friendly" dog kennel and LOVE it too. Our 79 lb husky Chili loves to lounge in the back in the kennel. Our new 50 lb husky rides shotgun with a harness and seatbelt (the airbag automatically turns off on the Element if the passenger weight is below a certain lbs).

www.elementownersclub.com has a ton of threads on dogs and elements. Even our local day care has one! She took all the seats out and uses the anchor points to leash in 9 dogs!

Pros: Spacious, fun, comfortable, fuel efficient, easy to park (it's pretty short). Seats either flip up or can be taken out. Anchor points on floor for dogs. Regular version has plastic floor, easy to clean. Extremely safe. Coworkers remarked "Dammn, it's like a Range Rover inside here!" when it was my turn to drive to lunch. It's huge inside.

Cons: Only 4 seats, Honda Kennel may or may not fit more than one dog together, need to take out seats to add 2nd kennel. Suicide-type doors difficult to open in tight parking spots.

Many owners put one crate in the back and take out one seat for the 2nd crate, leaving you with 3 seats.

But don't take my word on how awesome it is, take Chili's! Smile

This picture show the platform for the dog kennel, allow you to store small items under the kennel yet also boost up the dog so they can see out the window a tiny bit.
Best car for transporting two huskies User39531_pic3036_1293483670
Best car for transporting two huskies User39531_pic3041_1293483926Best car for transporting two huskies User39531_pic3042_1293483926
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 12:27 pm

I used to have a Outlander to which i'd fold down my back seats and really truly had an awesome space for the dogs. After I got rid of that, I got a Dodge ram 1500 pickup truck. The dogs love the bed and love to ride in it. I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a cap (the big ugly obnoxious ones) so I can use it with them more often. Right now I only take them to the dog park and back in the bed (all side streets in our neighborhood.) Our neighbors have a mini van and I have to say i'm jealous, i'd love to get one just to rip all the seats out and have it be a dog car!

Generally I think any SUV or crossover type that has back seats which fold down can easily fit 2 Huskies.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 12:38 pm

I think I want a convertible mini Cooper...and stuff G&S in there and drive around Denver with the hubby....

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 12:52 pm

i LOVE my ELEMENT!!!! i never have all 4 seats in only 3, jack and sierra take turns sitting on the back seat and laying on the floor where the 4th seat should be. plenty of room for 2 huskies 2 humans and a cooler and camping/ hiking gear with a soft roof top carrier.

cons.... the split between the two front seats as with out a barrier the dogs jump from front to back and drive me crazy, yes i could do seatbelts but then i need the 4th seat in, could crate but that takes up room. could spend $$$$ and get something to block it.... just have not yet.

Best car for transporting two huskies P7300110

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 12:58 pm

I was gonna say when you get the third Husky you'll be wishing minivan...

Best car for transporting two huskies SDC12268
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:55 pm

Now I want a new car....

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:10 pm

cmanding wrote:
Now I want a new car....

My thoughts exactly! LOL! We're doing to be done paying off our Camry in October and I wanted to take a year or two off with no car payment, but I REALLY want an SUV!!!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 pm

jbealer wrote:
cons.... the split between the two front seats as with out a barrier the dogs jump from front to back and drive me crazy, yes i could do seatbelts but then i need the 4th seat in, could crate but that takes up room. could spend $$$$ and get something to block it.... just have not yet.

I have one of these for our pickup truck - but I attached the zip line to the grab handles:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4092373
Best car for transporting two huskies PPETS-7535149t400

Mine came with a corresponding super short leash to attach to it. I got it for $9.99 at Homegoods! It keeps my little wile e coyote Frosti from trying to escape out the back windows...while driving...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 4:00 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Generally I think any SUV or crossover type that has back seats which fold down can easily fit 2 Huskies.

Ditto on this.

I will agree with others that the Element is probably the most dog friendly car but I'm not a fan of the Element personally.

I have a 2007 CR-V and while I don't have 2 sibes there is more than enough room in the cargo area for two. Most trips I put all three of my dogs in the backseat and they all have plenty of room (I could also easily fit 2 sibes comfortably in the backseat if I wanted to).

I don't crate my dogs in the car and when I open the back hatch I open it just enough to reach my arm inside and grab the dogs' collars and/or harnesses before opening the door the rest of the way.

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 4:05 pm

I can't see 2 full size crates fitting in a CR-V size SUV though (unless they were put in sideways). Here's a pic of my sibe in the cargo area of my CR-V in his crate with the back seats folded down.

Best car for transporting two huskies _DSC3524_filtered

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 5:10 pm

we also have an element, it fits both of the dogs, and i love the plastic flooring. the one major thing that bugs me is the windows in the back don't roll down, and that in order to open the back doors, the front ones need to be opened. but otherwise i love it for the dogs Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 5:35 pm

Lmao Val, Dakota looks like such a model!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I don't crate my dogs in the car and when I open the back hatch I open it just enough to reach my arm inside and grab the dogs' collars and/or harnesses before opening the door the rest of the way.
I do the same. My dogs also have the "wait" command pretty solid for the car. Maybe not while loose, but in the car for sure.

Best car for transporting two huskies Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MaryanneW
Newborn
Newborn
MaryanneW

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. I've read about the Element and it's intriguiging, but it's so darn, well, square! Very Happy I'm so glad to hear and see (thanks for the pics to help illustrate your points) that they won't be stuffed into the back of a smaller car. I'll let you know what we end up with!

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:32 pm

again i LOVE my "box" E you have NO IDEA how much shit you can fit into that dang suv till you try. its like a truck Smile im not a huge fan of the "newer" model of the E i think the older ones are better 2008 and older.

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 6:49 pm

jbealer wrote:
you have NO IDEA how much shit you can fit into that dang suv till you try

I still haven't seen three people and six dogs with gear get out of one...
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 am

Ha I have My Lil Civic w a Softsided Crate in the back seat .. i open door .. they Jump in crate i zip shut .. NO Furr to Be eattin while windows r down either Razz But Totally agree.. They Have Leaned The Wait Word while in Car !.. i unzip .. put mira Leash on .. Then Icons Then I tell Mira to come she jumps Then Icon comes Very Happy My Angel Girls !~
Back to top Go down
Navi
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Toyo Camry(2009) will hold to huskies, no crate, just using a seatbelt anchor. You can put a crate in there side ways but only for one.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 6:49 pm

I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee and my fiance has a Ford F150 Super Cab pickup. Both fit both huskies rather nicely (no crates). To keep them from escaping we open the door just enough to grab a leash or harness before opening it fully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best car for transporting two huskies   Best car for transporting two huskies Empty

Back to top Go down

Best car for transporting two huskies

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next