It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Feeding and exercise

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

Feeding and exercise Empty
PostSubject: Feeding and exercise   Feeding and exercise EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 2:48 pm

When do you guys feed your dogs and when do you exercise them in relation to the feeding?

Usually I feed Bodhi one cup of kibble mixed with water between 6-7. Then we run between 8-9. This hasn't been a problem. But today after we came back from running, Bodhi drank his usual copious amount of water and two minutes later threw up breakfast. It was hot today, but not terrible. He has run when it was much hotter. The kibble was undigested and there was a lot of grass in it. He always eats grass when we are out.

Do you think this was a one time thing? Or should I wait to feed him after we run?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeding and exercise   Feeding and exercise EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 3:27 pm

My guess would be a one time thing that the heat got the best of him.

Biko pretty much did the same thing yesterday morning after about 2 hours of walking. Of course the 2 cigarette butts he ate along the way the day before probably didn't help his situation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Feeding and exercise   Feeding and exercise EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 4:06 pm

They say to wait one hour after feeding to exercise your dog, mainly out of concern of bloat. Koda and I did hiking, running, and also he was fed an hour before going to work with me when I worked at a kennel (where he did nonstop play for 7 hours) and always did fine. I'd go with heat.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeding and exercise   Feeding and exercise EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I'd guess one time thing as well. But I always exercise my sibe before feeding him in the morning. In the evening I make sure he waits at least an hour or two before exercising. He does rarely throw up sometimes...but it is very rare.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding and exercise   Feeding and exercise EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:16 pm

I walk in the morning then feed. At night they eat then get walked later after it cools off. I bet it was just the heat.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Feeding and exercise   Feeding and exercise EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:48 pm

I think heat too....Took G&S to the pool on Saturday in the middle of day, and even though they were cooled off by the water and ate breakfast at 8am, Storm still managed to toss his breakfast after we got home....but Storm is the one that overheats on 15 minute walks when it's hot out.

I walk then feed in the morning. In the evening, I walk and then wait at least an hour before taking them out for a walk at night.

PostSubject: Re: Feeding and exercise   Feeding and exercise Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding and exercise

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1