It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hot Spot Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Update on Koda: He's MUCH better. Once the meds started kicking in, he stopped fussing with it... no more shirts and he's just sleepy and recovering. It took a good 12 hours for both of them to start working though. Until then he was super obsessive with the licking.

Our experience with prednizone has been a fine one. He's definitely sleepy, but I would expect that from any recovering human or animal. He's not so sleepy that he can't run outside in the backyard when it's time to go out though and the meds are DEFINITELY making him itch less all over, not just in the spot.

So I'd say our experience so far has been a positive one. Prednizone and antibiotics are a pretty common treatment for hot spots and for one as bad as Koda's (who just got off our bed and came to wander around and sit by me and nose his leftover kong Smile ), I would not hesitate to recommend it if the owner feels comfortable doing so. As with all medications, there are risks and not all dogs react the same. Keep that in mind and make the best decision for you and your pet.

Here are some before and after shots. The first two were yesterday after the vet. Then some of the hot spot today.
Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Imag0318
Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Imag0319
Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Imag0320
Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Imag0321

Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:16 pm

Looks so much better already!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 pm

It's amazing how shaving and leaving it alone makes it heal SO fast! Very Happy Glad he's feeling better!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:39 pm

Looking good!

Ditto on the prednisone.
I don't like using it, but it works.
Bodhi seems more subdued on it, but today we cut the dose in half.
He doesn't have to have the collar on as long as he's at our feet.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Glad to hear Koda is doing much better!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Wow it does look better already! Thank goodness!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Just an update: Koda is 100% better and his hair is growing back.

He's been on TOTW again for a few weeks now (a little over a month actually) and their itching is totally gone. I don't like the way that Hailey fluctuates weight on it though... so I need to start adding green beans or other low-calorie fillers because she really only needs about 1/2 cup a meal but that little food makes her SO hungry.

I do think the hot spot was related to food allergies. So it's either the turkey or the grain from the Keen because it's clearly not any other fillers.

On that note- if anyone wants a box of Keen... I'd be willing to sell it for $35 which would cover shipping costs. It's an unopened 10 lb box.

Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:08 pm

My aunt wants to try THK Tori- let me ask her Wink

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:15 pm

It's amazing how fast they heal for how open and painful they look Smile Glad that Koda is doing great! I love you
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Yay, so glad that he's doing better!!!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm

If nobody else wants it I'd gladly buy it off you Tori. Just let me know if it's still available.

Edit to add: Oops, forgot to say that I'm glad he's getting better. Just in time for your wedding since I know you didn't want to have that to worry about on top of everything. Smile

PostSubject: Re: Hot Spot Help   Hot Spot Help - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hot Spot Help

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2