It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Going in for the spay...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Going in for the spay... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:47 pm

I hope Ghostie feels better soon! You'll have me messaging you crying when Rogue goes on the 1st Laughing
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Well she's home, and the vet said she did great all day. She HATES the e-collar and has already managed to pull it off, which means we're probably going to have a sleepless night watching her pale

It's definitely hard to see her in pain, and I know the feeling. I just hope her pain meds work better than the ones they gave me after my 2nd ankle reconstruction. At least I could understand what was going on. I think that's the worst part for me. She's in pain and doesn't understand why. Of course they loaded her up on morphine before they let her go, so the first thing she did when she got home was take a flying leap onto the couch Going in for the spay... - Page 2 1625187496 I now have to go back to work for a couple hours...

I have to include the obligatory Cone of Shame picture, so here goes:

Going in for the spay... - Page 2 Dscn0518

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Going in for the spay... - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm

She looks pretty comfy there! Glad she's home and doing well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm

She seems pretty comfy, I'm just not thrilled about her jumping on and off the couch. The last thing I want is for her to pull the stitches or hurt herself.

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Going in for the spay... - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Most Vets give a little leeway in their suturing. If there's circles against the skin then she has some room to move around a little more, if not I'd restrict her from jumping. Maybe she can climb on something to get on the couch, like a stool. I did that for violet when she was spayed so she could get on my bed lol That silly Doxie-butt tried to jump on my bed the first night home from her spay! I almost had a heart-attack haha affraid
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 pm

poor Ghost! i hope you get some sleep tonight and the cone stays on! heal up fast!

Newborn
Newborn
wintershuman

Male Join date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 pm

Hope you have a peaceful night with your baby. Heal quickly, Ghost!

(Winter was neutered the day we brought him home from the shelter...so he was with new people, loopy from the anesthesia, and just all around pretty miserable. Thank god for the pain pills.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinemeadowpond.com
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 am

Hey, so I know that pain meds can constipate (learned that lesson the hard way with the ankle reconstructions), and sure enough Ghost hasn't pooped since last night. I got some canned pumpkin tonight after work and she's had a couple of spoonfuls. How long does it take for that to help move things along, and when should I be worried?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 3:45 am

This is just grabbing from memory, but I think pumpkin is really just used more to firm up rather than regulate their system. I'd give some probiotic yogurt for that purpose. Koda didn't poop for about a day I don't think.

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 am

After Zoey got spayed you couldn't even tell, she had pain medication, twice a day for a week and she ate 2 e-collars and was a total brat. thankfully Embry was too terrified of her e-collar to go anywhere near her lol! We did still take her to the dog park though, just kept her on leash. Pretty sure she hated me that week..

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:02 am

Yeah she's being a little bratty and it's pretty much impossible to keep her from jumping up on the couches. She's gotten used to the e collar now and is pretty good about it, but the second it comes off she's down there licking.

Heather, the vet actually told us to use a little pumpkin, because the fiber helps move things along in addition to firming it up. I will mix in a little yogurt later though and see if that does anything. Aaron said she did poop a little last night after I went to bed, but then nothing yet this morning. I just hope she doesn't make herself sick...

Thanks guys Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 am

Has she messed with her incision much? I'm hoping Rogue will leave it alone and not mess with it so an ecollar isn't necessary.. Koda never touched it and it made it so much easier! Or hopefully if she does I can put a wrap around that part and that help.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 am

We HAVE to keep the e collar on. I've been taking it off to take her outside, but we are taking her out on the leash to keep her from running around too much. Every time that collar comes off she is trying to lick at the incision, even when we are outside for her to go potty. I sort of think she's more interested in the incision than going poo...

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Heatherlee wrote:
This is just grabbing from memory, but I think pumpkin is really just used more to firm up rather than regulate their system. I'd give some probiotic yogurt for that purpose. Koda didn't poop for about a day I don't think.

Meredith and her vet are right on this one. Pumpkin has a dual function in helping with digestion. Not only does it help firm up dogs with diarrhea, but it also helps relieve constipation as well. Wink

Maverick
blueeyedghost

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm

So it appears the pumpkin is doing it's job. I only had to be on base for a couple hours today, and by the time I got home Ghost was asking to go out and do her business. I will keep up with the pumpkin because I still have a couple days of pain meds for her, plus she LOVES the pumpkin. I really need to just mix it with some yogurt and freeze it in some kongs for her.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Heatherlee wrote:

Meredith and her vet are right on this one. Pumpkin has a dual function in helping with digestion. Not only does it help firm up dogs with diarrhea, but it also helps relieve constipation as well. Wink

I never knew that! But then again as I said, I've only seen people use it to firm up the poos. That's awesome it helps with constipation, wish I knew that after I figured out potatoes constipate Koda!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Going in for the spay...   Going in for the spay... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Going in for the spay...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2