It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Kibble and some raw for variety?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

Kibble and some raw for variety? Empty
PostSubject: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm posting this completely without doing any prior research. I got this idea the other day, after reading some posts here, about adding some raw to our pups meal, if anything for variety. I went and got some stew beef chunks, gizzards, and a tub of chicken livers (ack!). I started adding, say, one of each under their TOTW Pacific Salmon kibble (which they both like). Needless to say, the feeding frenzy was furious!

Is it ok to do this?

What other stuff can we add to give them some spice? Do I understand that chicken bones, like legs and rib meat, is ok?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

CG
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Cheyenne has been eating TOTW and raw chix wings for dinner for a long time. We've never had an issue.

I'd be careful feeding chicken wings unless you know that Violet will actually chew them and not swallow them whole. Cheyenne spends about 5 mintues just eating the 2-3 wings I put in there so I don't worry about it. Any bone-in part of the chicken (that is raw) is fine to feed really.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lyzelle
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 8:55 pm

As long as you don't feed RAW and kibble together, you are fine.

RAW, since it is...well, raw....digests at a much faster and more efficient rate then kibble; Kibble digests much slower. Rushing kibble through the system, or slowing down RAW, can cause a lot of issues. Rushing kibble through means their systems aren't taking the time to break it down, so you are losing value. Slowing down RAW means the natural bacteria in RAW foods stays in their system longer, possibly increasing their chances for getting sick. Additionally, since these foods digest at different rates, you are increasing your chances for bloat either way.

So when it comes to mixing it up in one bowl, I follow these rules:

Adding dairy, such as yogurt and cottage cheese, is okay.
Cooked raw, such as cooked organ and muscle meats, are okay.

Everything else, like bones and raw organ/muscle meats, feed at a earlier time or in a different meal altogether.
Back to top Go down
Legend_of_Faolan
Teenager
Teenager
Legend_of_Faolan

Female Join date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 9:04 am

I don't think there is any proven science saying that feeding raw and kibble together harms the dog. I know people that do it all the time. And we eat foods that digest at different rates all the time as well and we are fine. I say go ahead and try it the way you want to do it, if raw and kibble together doesn't seem to negatively affect your dog (as in her poop looks normal after given time to adjust to the change, it being runny at first is to be expected) then I see no problem with feeding her that way.
Back to top Go down
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

So far so good. They love the kibble/raw mix. And their poopies remains unchanged. With deer season upon us (I don't hunt) I wonder what deer liver or kidney would do to their health...
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Though I'm not a fan of feeding organs I think they'll do fine with the liver, kidneys and probably the heart.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Deer organs (really any deer parts) would be fantastic. Just be mindful that organs, like liver, are very rich so it can cause stomach upset/diarrhea if they're not used to it or eat too much. I try to keep organ portions small.

I think it's great that you're supplementing raw. While I've never had a problem in the past feeding kibble and raw together I do try to feed them separately if it's a significant amount of raw that they're getting. For example, if raw consists of 25% of their meal or greater then I try to feed raw separately to avoid digestion issues because the two do digest at different rates. When I separate them I'll try to feed the raw portion a few hours before the kibble. Raw digests in about 4 hours while kibble can take 12 hours to digest, big difference. But as a small portion/topper for kibble I have no problem feeding it with kibble and have not had any problems doing this to date.

Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 am

I feed Mine TOTW & Raw as Well No issues Other Then Like Said Can give em Loose Stool .. I See it w Mira But Icon Stays Normal.. Then Again They have Been eattin My Tomatoes .. LOL
Back to top Go down
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? EmptyWed Sep 21, 2011 8:09 pm

So far so good! They love the meals, and their stools are nice and compact. Can't believe I'm paying so much attention to doodoo...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kibble and some raw for variety?   Kibble and some raw for variety? Empty

Back to top Go down

Kibble and some raw for variety?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1