It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Feeding fruit to your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Feeding fruit to your husky? Empty
PostSubject: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Do any of you feed your huskies fruit? We noticed that Ghost forages for blackberries and salmonberries, and any apple cores or banana peels that have been discarded at the side of the road disappear pretty fast too. Now we occasionally add a piece of fruit to his kibble. Banana and blueberries seem to be favourites.

I know that dogs shouldn't eat grapes, raisin, onions or avocado, but is there any other fruit that I should avoid giving to him?
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Please don't let Ghost eat apple cores, the seeds are toxic. Nothing wrong with the others that he's been having. Some of them are good for antioxidants such as blueberries. That said, I don't feed my dogs any fruits directly, they get them via their food and treats already. I do however sometimes give them veggies such as carrots, potato, and green beans. I prefer veggies as a treat/filler as they tend to have less sugar than fruits in general. But please please please keep apple cores and seeds away.

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm

i know with apples you cant feed the seeds and i try to avoid all the seeds just to be safe but Sierra loves fruit and veggies. since this is what i eat its what i feed her
bananas
apples
pears
raspberries
pineapple
orange
cherries
melon
blueberries
strawberries

peppers
cucumbers
carrots
zucchini
squash
eggplant
green beans

what i do not feed cause i have heard its bad
grapes, raisin, onions, avocado (have feed in small amounts), broccoli, tomatoes.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:40 pm

I always give Kale a piece of fruit when I'm eating some =) But i tend to only give as a small treat and not in his meals.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 5:44 pm

The apple core went down so fast I couldn't stop him (he knew I was going to try and take it away from him). But he is a very big dog so I don't think it did him any harm (if he ate a lot of them it would be another matter, of course). I give him a slice of the apple if I am eating one myself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
The1930sRust
Puppy
Puppy
The1930sRust

Female Join date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Violet has been known to steal bananas....
Back to top Go down
http://www.darklightimagery.net www.pbase.com/darklightimagery
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Brocolli is bad for them? affraid
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:49 pm

MelissaI wrote:

Of course it is didn't you ever catch the gas end of it! affraid
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I've yet to find a fruit Biko won't eat. As per what Val mentioned about apple seeds others with hard seeds or pits (ex. peach) are bad news because of the cyanide they contain.

I'd say bananas are their favorite.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:04 pm

I'm amazed at all these fruit eating huskies! lol I've given my dogs fruit that I'm eating several times in the past and NONE of them will eat fruit. Weird.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
MelissaI wrote:

Of course it is didn't you ever catch the gas end of it! affraid

LOL!!!! I've only given them a few pieces here and there when I'm eating it. Definitely won't give them more than a little piece. They have gas as it is..lol
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 11:43 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I'm amazed at all these fruit eating huskies! lol I've given my dogs fruit that I'm eating several times in the past and NONE of them will eat fruit. Weird.

Me too! Luka will only eat fruit if its with something else, like peanut butter.
Back to top Go down
BONFIRE HUSKIES
Teenager
Teenager
BONFIRE HUSKIES

Male Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 am

The WIFE(vet tech) said grapes are poison to dogs. Never heard of this has anyone else?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:29 am

I've always heard grapes are a no go with dogs.

I give Rogue and Koda apples, bananas, and berries. Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 1:03 am

BONFIRE HUSKIES wrote:
The WIFE(vet tech) said grapes are poison to dogs. Never heard of this has anyone else?

I didn't know either until about 2 years ago.

Interesting read.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 1:30 am

We also feed ours bananas, melon, apples, pineapple, beans, cucumber, lettuce, carrots, etc. Mostly as snacks when we're having it or a few pieces after their breakfast. Chili doesn't like his fruit cold (diva!!), so I have to warm it up in my hand for a second. <rolling eyes> Smile

Does anyone else's huskies have a hard time eating bananas? It tends to fall out of their mouths because they chew it weird (the consistency?) and they have to pick it up again.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Tika gets some Blueberries with her treats, but appart from that we haven't gone out of our way to give her any fruits at all.

There was an Weird "Incident" with lettuce and a cucumber one evening.... tossing a salad for supper the wife happened to drop both onto the floor and didn't happen to notice. About an hour later, shes good at staying out of the kitchen when we are cooking, She walked out holding something ever so carefully in her mouth and started to SLOWLY eat it constantly checking if I noticed her or not.

Of course I inspected what she was eating, removed the piece of lettuce, made her do a trick for it, and returned it to her. She chomped it down.

She then did the same thing 5 mins later with a cucumber she had found Razz.

None of my chows have ever done ANYTHING with veggies other then turn away. I was a bit taken a back.

~Chris~

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 pm

i can't open the fridge and then get out the cutting board with out sierra being at my feet waiting for what ever i am cutting up! i have never feed full pieces its just the ends and leftovers i give them

jack only really likes a few of the things i try to give him but sierra does not mind as soon as he moves she i in eating it up

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Appa sounds like Sierra (I think we've established this before). If I get out the cutting board Appa runs over, looks at me, then runs to his place and flops down waiting for a piece. He tends to love whatever fresh fruit or veggie I'm cutting up at the time. I avoid the bad things, but everything else he loves. Dried apple slices are one of his favorites, he gets almost as excited for them as he does peanut butter.
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptySat Sep 24, 2011 8:16 pm

My Girls Steal My Tomatoes Outta The garden ! ~
Back to top Go down
Shiya's momma
Newborn
Newborn
Shiya's momma

Female Join date : 2011-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptySun Oct 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Shiya loves fruit and veggies too! I dice up whatevers handy, mostly apples and bananas. She loves sweet potatoes, blueberries, summer squash, zuchinni and on. But I know grapes, raisins and apple seeds. I also only give her very small amounts at a time. Did not know tomatoes or brocoli was bad for them. There are some high end kibble that include broccoli in it.
Back to top Go down
Kira
Newborn
Newborn
Kira

Female Join date : 2011-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 pm

I introduced mine to tomatoes by accident. We were out in the backyard playing so I decided I would pull a green tomato off one of my bushes and have her retrieve it. We played with it for a couple of throws untill she decided to taste, then game over. Several days later I went out to get my last sizable ripe one and it was gone...wonder where it went? Now I'm wondering if I will be able to plant any next year and if she will leave them alone.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:27 pm

i thought tomatoes were bad....

i did a veggie garden this yr and put some chicken wire around it. Sierra did not try to eat any of it! i was so happy about that!

Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 2:30 pm

Tomatoes and Tomatoe Pomace are a major ingredient in ToTW formulas. They even call them out in their bullets of "awesome stuff about this food."
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 3:30 pm

jbealer wrote:
i thought tomatoes were bad....

i did a veggie garden this yr and put some chicken wire around it. Sierra did not try to eat any of it! i was so happy about that!

Tomato stems and leaves are the toxic part if I remember correctly, but don't quote me on that haha Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding fruit to your husky?   Feeding fruit to your husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding fruit to your husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next