It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Anal glands

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Anal glands - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 pm

How firm are her stools? Very firm stools tend to express the glands naturally, but there are always exceptions to every rule. Some dogs may just need to have their glands expressed more frequently, others never at all.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Val, I appreciate you taking time out of your busy life to respond to the this.

Juneau's stools are probably as firm as mashing mashed potatoes in your hand. I'm sorry for the food reference lol but everyone's definition of firm is different.

Is that not firm enough?
Back to top Go down
barbianj
Puppy
Puppy
barbianj

Male Join date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 1:04 pm

At what age does this come into play?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 2:03 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
Juneau's stools are probably as firm as mashing mashed potatoes in your hand. I'm sorry for the food reference lol but everyone's definition of firm is different.

Is that not firm enough?
I wouldn't consider that very firm...at least not firm enough to help empty anal glands naturally. You could try a different food to see if you end up with firmer stool, but if Juneau has a sensitive stomach I can see how that may not be a preferred option.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

VintageJeans wrote:

Is that not firm enough?
I wouldn't consider that very firm...at least not firm enough to help empty anal glands naturally.  You could try a different food to see if you end up with firmer stool, but if Juneau has a sensitive stomach I can see how that may not be a preferred option.
Hmm, I will see what I can do. I've been planning to switch her food anyways for fear of more recalls.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was firm enough... I mean, they have a shape to them, but it's just not as hard as let's say... Playdough. My foster's poop is definitely more firm than Juneau's, if that helps.

Do I need to look for a food with more fiber in it? More protein? I was thinking about switching to Acana or Fromm. I like to go to the mom & pop pet store down the road from me, so I'll see what they have.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Another thought.

I'm reading Dogfoodadvisor. I had no idea they listed the fiber percentage on the packages!

I'm now leaning towards Merrick Grain Free and Acana Grain Free.

Acana has a 5.6% fiber intake.

Merrick Grain Free has a 3.9% fiber intake.

They're both 5 stars and I know my pet store will carry them.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/before-grain-dog-food-dry/

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/acana-dog-food-grain-free/

Taste of the Wild has 4.4% fiber intake. 4 stars.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/taste-of-the-wild-dog-food-dry/

Hmm.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Balon has this problem off and on too, sometimes I catch him scooting, wonderful right? UGH BUT last time I had him in for an ear infection I had them expressed and she told me to add some pumpkin to his food, I believe it is helping him. Maybe you can try it for Juneau. Both Balon and Loki are on Blue Wilderness-puppy for Loki, Salmon for Balon.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
Balon has this problem off and on too, sometimes I catch him scooting, wonderful right? UGH BUT last time I had him in for an ear infection I had them expressed and she told me to add some pumpkin to his food, I believe it is helping him.  Maybe you can try it for Juneau.  Both Balon and Loki are on Blue Wilderness-puppy for Loki, Salmon for Balon.
I've had her do the pumpkin before. It was when she had an upset tummy. It did help her stools, but she wasn't having an anal gland problem then. I'll have to try it again. I still have another can in my pantry... She isn't a big fan of pumpkin though! I'm shocked. Too bad, she's going to eat it lol. The things we do for our furkids. I love you 
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Jackie, I am a big fan of Orijen, Acana, Fromm, and Merrick. Honestly, I don't put too much stock in fiber percentages. I mean if a food has more fiber but the dog doesn't have as firm stools on it because it just doesn't agree with the dog as well, then it may not be the better food for that individual dog. Trial and error will tell you what food results in firmer stool for a given individual.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Jackie, I am a big fan of Orijen, Acana, Fromm, and Merrick. Honestly, I don't put too much stock in fiber percentages. I mean if a food has more fiber but the dog doesn't have as firm stools on it because it just doesn't agree with the dog as well, then it may not be the better food for that individual dog.  Trial and error will tell you what food results in firmer stool for a given individual.
Thanks, Val. Smile Looks like I'll be switching her food.

One last question, then you're free to go! haha

Should I take her to the vet one last time to get them expressed, so we can have a 'fresh' slate? Or should I wait until her food is completely switched over to the new one and wait for them to express themselves?

It doesn't seem to bother her a whole lot, but I was just wondering what you would do.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:19 pm

If they seem to be full and making her uncomfortable or she's scooting then I'd get them expressed. If not, then it's really up to you.

Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 12:22 am

Quote :
Do I have to have her keep getting them expressed every few weeks? It seems uncommon to do it that often... Or maybe the Dr. didn't get all of it out?
I'm going to respond to this part because I don't know much about the other stuff but I do have a thought on this. I'm currently in vet tech school and doing my clinicals. Expressing anals glands is icky but interesting at the same time (at least for me.) One thing that was mentioned to me is that once you start expressing for them, the more they have to have it done. So it was recommended that if my pup didn't need it that I shouldn't start because then I'll have to get it done regularly. That would be something I'd talk to my vet about.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 am

Dizzy has quite a sensitive stomach and the food that finally firmed him up was Merrick. I currently have him on a half raw, half kibble diet (kibble in the morning, raw at night). BUT, the kibble he is on now is canidae pure sky. The problem I had with Merrick , wasn't the firmness, it was the volume. He was pooping way too much and too often. I have been trying something different every bag, but this one has been the best so far. He's firm and poops about half as much as he did on merrick. The addition of the raw has also greatly improved his stool. Once I've used the current bag up, I'm going full raw. Also, silly question, but could the fish smell be because she is on a fish based food?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 2:22 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:

Quote :
Do I have to have her keep getting them expressed every few weeks? It seems uncommon to do it that often... Or maybe the Dr. didn't get all of it out?
I'm going to respond to this part because I don't know much about the other stuff but I do have a thought on this. I'm currently in vet tech school and doing my clinicals. Expressing anals glands is icky but interesting at the same time (at least for me.) One thing that was mentioned to me is that once you start expressing for them, the more they have to have it done. So it was recommended that if my pup didn't need it that I shouldn't start because then I'll have to get it done regularly. That would be something I'd talk to my vet about.

I didn't know that, wow. Hmm. That will definitely be a factor when I decide to get them expressed or not. So far today, she hasn't messed with her butt. Of course, after I spent $80 on Acana. She loves the food though. LOL

wpskier222 wrote:
Dizzy has quite a sensitive stomach and the food that finally firmed him up was Merrick. I currently have him on a half raw, half kibble diet (kibble in the morning, raw at night). BUT, the kibble he is on now is canidae pure sky. The problem I had with Merrick , wasn't the firmness, it was the volume. He was pooping way too much and too often. I have been trying something different every bag, but this one has been the best so far. He's firm and poops about half as much as he did on merrick. The addition of the raw has also greatly improved his stool. Once I've used the current bag up, I'm going full raw. Also, silly question, but could the fish smell be because she is on a fish based food?

Interesting. I've always liked Merrick, but I'll keep that in mind. They're about $20 less a bag than Acana.

I was wondering the same thing (fish smell, butt smells like fish), but I don't think it's that. My foster had an issue with her anal glands, so I know the smell. Juneau's isn't as strong as Maddie's, but it's definitely the same smell. She was obsessively licking her butt a lot. When I took her in, the vet said one of them was pretty full. She never messed with her butt for a few weeks. Then she started licking it again about a week or two ago. She hasn't licked her butt yet today. -.-' I've included 1/4 cup of Acana in her diet since last night and she loves it. She had a BM last night after dinner, but I don't think the new food would be effective that early.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 pm

I see makes sense. Smile I hope she feels better soon and this doesn't have to be an ongoing thing. Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 9:30 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
I see makes sense. :)I hope she feels better soon and this doesn't have to be an ongoing thing. Smile
Me too! So far so good, no butt licking on the schedule today. I feel like a freak for being obsessed with my husky's butt. haha! Gotta love 'em though. Smile
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 11:32 am

Just wanted to do a quick update, even though I know this isn't my own thread.

I finally was able to catch some of Juneau's poop last night. I went over to the spot and picked it up in a poop bag. It's definitely more firm than before. It felt like playdough. I've been watching her still and no butt licking yet! The last time she licked her butt was Saturday morning, before she was transitioning to Acana. I hope this still works. I'll probably update once more in a week just for the sake of this thread.

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anal glands   Anal glands - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anal glands

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2