It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hip Dysplasia question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hip Dysplasia question   Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 3:44 pm

MelissaI wrote:
Girl, if you walk in there you'll go insane!!! I have to go with like tunnel vision. Grab what I went for and LEAVE! lol!! You introduced me it so thanks! Very Happy
Guuuurl!!! I buy ALL their treats from there! I don't ever wanna step in that store - I'll go broke!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip Dysplasia question   Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 3:53 pm

cmanding wrote:
MelissaI wrote:
Girl, if you walk in there you'll go insane!!! I have to go with like tunnel vision. Grab what I went for and LEAVE! lol!! You introduced me it so thanks! Very Happy
Guuuurl!!! I buy ALL their treats from there! I don't ever wanna step in that store - I'll go broke!

Yep, agreed! You'll definitely go broke!!! Omg and they have the cutest clothes and bows too. They actually have bows for the large breed dogs. I think Mya will disown me if i got her one though Razz
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hip Dysplasia question   Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 3:54 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Ours love the Nupro too - I could put it on anything and they'll eat it! Smile

Sam, how old is Frosti? I was debating on giving it to Kody also, but not sure if he really needs it yet. I mean, I'm sure it can't hurt. Maybe I'll just start him on the maintenance serving...
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Hip Dysplasia question   Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 8:36 pm

SiberianAnubis wrote:
It is amazing how many Huskies have HD, when it is always said that Sibes are such an healthy breed. With all the issues we had I cannot agree on that.

It's not all that unheard of, hip dysplasia is actually one of the two common health concerns with this breed. Hence, that is why it is so important (for people who purchase dogs) to seek out reputable breeders who test their dogs and strive to improve the breed and eliminate said health issues. I think the majority of sibes we know on this forum are probably not from truly reputable breeders, and many of them are rescues so we have no information on their background. I don't find it surprising that many sibes have HD, it's a common breed problem and if you consider that probably the majority of members' dogs are not from the best breeders you're much more likely to end up with health problems arising. With all that said, sibes ARE a relatively healthy breed when you consider that the list of common health problems includes only hips and eyes. Look at many other breeds and you'll find far longer lists of common health concerns. Smile

MelissaI wrote:
I was debating on giving it to Kody also, but not sure if he really needs it yet. I mean, I'm sure it can't hurt. Maybe I'll just start him on the maintenance serving...

For what it's worth, I used regular Nupro (gold) for my dogs until they turned 5 yrs old which is when I started giving Nupro with Joint Support (silver) as a preventative even though my two oldest dogs (both 6 yrs) do not have joint issues. A lot of foods and treats contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin too so if you pay attention to the foods/treats you feed you might notice it's already included in the things they eat. There's nothing wrong with giving a low dose as preventative maintenance, it's really up to you. For me, I start supplementing a little glucosamine/chondroitin at around the 5 yr mark. Glory's been on it since we got her at 3 yrs old but that's only because she has joint problems.

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Hip Dysplasia question   Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 am

MelissaI wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Ours love the Nupro too - I could put it on anything and they'll eat it! Smile

Sam, how old is Frosti? I was debating on giving it to Kody also, but not sure if he really needs it yet. I mean, I'm sure it can't hurt. Maybe I'll just start him on the maintenance serving...

Frosti's almost 2 (we think - her age estimate is pretty close since she came into rescue at 1 the first time). I checked and it wouldn't hurt a younger dog - plus it's DELICIOUS (I imagine, for dogs - they go nuts over it!) and since she's got only 3 toes on each back toe and sometimes has spasms in her legs (phantom pains from the missing toes?) that it couldn't hurt to supplement her early! The 5 lb jar is so huge and lasts so long it's affordable giving it to both!
Back to top Go down
lpp06
Puppy
Puppy
lpp06

PostSubject: Re: Hip Dysplasia question   Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:05 am

Figured I'd bump for a HD question.

My new adoption, Carter, run's a bit funky off his back legs. Not a full bunny hop, but not very coordinated and he looks a bit stiff. Aside from that, he sits normally, has no problem jumping onto the couch or in the car and doesn't hesitate to do anything.

My questions are this:

Did any of you with huskies with HD notice these slight signs before your dog was diagnosed with HD?

What is a reasonable cost for hip X-Rays? Assuming no sedation is required. My vet wants to charge $120.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hip Dysplasia question   Hip Dysplasia question - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hip Dysplasia question

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2