It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Koda's gash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

Koda's gash - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm so glad he's doing better and how wonderful that he had Mommy take care of him when he's not feeling well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Such a relief to hear he's feeling quite a bit better. Here's hoping you see nothing but continued improvement.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Home now Smile

Koda is GREAT. He was even trying to play in the yard with Hailey! I definitely think he didn't have enough pain meds and then once he got the stronger stuff in him, he was whining from the morphine still being in his system.

I am SO relieved. I was practically in tears last night from Koda's crying Sad

Koda's gash - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 pm

His obligatory cone of shame shot....

Koda's gash - Page 2 380516_661004759213_21200520_33953859_632563221_n

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Behold, the cone of shame!!!

I'm so glad to hear he's doing better, and that's really interesting about the morphine. Having been on it a time or 2 myself, it really does do weird things to your brain... Here's to Koda continuing to have a speedy recovery!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Koda's gash - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

For Koda the morp probably over relaxed his bladder thus the wetting.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 9:38 pm

Awww he does look adorable with his cone though! So glad he's doing much better and wanting to play with his sister!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 pm

OMG! Poor guy! Hope for a speedy recovery!

Koda's gash - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 6:19 am

glad he's doing better Smile
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Koda's gash - Page 2 381224_661830369683_21200520_33956986_219451644_n
"Mom, I hate this stupid cone!"

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 7:48 pm

Oh Koda lol!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:07 pm

How horrible you are for making him wear that dreaded cone Razz I hope he's feeling better today, too.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Koda's gash - Page 2 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Geez that was a a nasty gash.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Yeah-- the original picture doesn't really reflect how large of a wound it was. It was definitely a puncture though. At first we thought it was a chunk ripped out of him, but looking at the picture, you can see that it "fits" together... it was more of a rip. As you can see from the last picture, the stitches themselves were about 4-6" in length. It was a crazy cut. Still not sure what exactly did it, but we cleared the yard of ANYTHING that might have had a chance of doing it... although I still think it was likely Hailey by accident.

Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 pm

that's a nasty gash! poor koda! ): I hope he feels better soon! he's definitely not loving the "cone of shame" lol!

I hate it when my fur-kids get hurt or sick. I'm currently dealing with a dislocated claw that the skin split around...
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Update: Koda went to get his stitches out a few weeks ago on the 23rd and the vet wouldn't do it. They just weren't healing right. He gave him another round of antibiotics and told us to put antibacterial lotion on him 2x day. He said to bring him back in when it was looking better, probably in 10-12 days.

We finally started to see some improvement, so he got his stitches out last Thursday (29th). The vet was still pretty concerned at the way it was healing, although they were MUCH better than the last time. One stitch was pretty buried too so we couldn't have waited much longer. He said it looks good, but still wanted to see him for one more follow-up a week later (tomorrow). So we'll be off to the vet tomorrow for what we hope to be our final check up!

However, we still have to keep a t-shirt and the cone on Koda at all times. He was already and obsessive licker and the wound has just made it worse. He'll likely have the cone on for another week at least at the rate his wound is healing.

Just a random aside... I LOVE our vet. We haven't paid since the initial emergency visit, except to actually pay for the next dose of antibiotics. The last time we were in there, they even took out the sutures and the vet made a special trip in to see us and check up on us and we were not charged Smile Every vet I've seen here has been super attentive and caring. We are very happy with this new place Smile

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 11:45 am

Its so great to hear of good vets! I'm sure ur e vist was not cheap so maybe it includes the follow ups, or they are super nice and love koda!

Sucks he is not healing well, was it cause of the way it was cut and the location? Hope u get good news today.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 11:52 am

Nope. A $300 visit for the first one... but considering all the follow-ups, I'm not upset with that price at all. And it's MUCH better than it could have been Smile

The wound was definitely a puncture wound. You can tell by the way it tore. It was an odd wound to dew but the vet also thinks Koda's skin was reacting to the sutures themselves a little and that little bit of swelling delayed the healing time. The wound looks SO much better now and basically just looks like 3 or four circles in a line for where each of the stitches were.

I think he will be happy after today's visit Smile

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Update: This vet is awesome. He's SO CUTE. Of all the vets in this office, I think I like him the best, which is ironic because he's probably the LEAST personable. He's sort of socially awkward but he is SO GOOD with Koda. He gets on the floor immediately, every time, lets Koda kiss him and tells him what a good boy he is and how much kisses are appreciated... and he just shows such concern!

Koda honestly couldn't care less about the cone. He deals with it. But Dr. Elson sat there for a few minutes brainstorming ideas with me on how we can get Koda rid of the cone (Koda is an obsessive licker-- so he makes things take forever to heal without the cone because he won't stop licking it). I just thought it was sweet. He didn't want to give him medicine but was willing to if it would increase Koda's "quality of life" by not having the cone. I know it's silly, but I just thought it was super caring and considerate, even if I know Koda doesn't really mind.

Moral of the story: Koda is about 90% healed. He has a couple of spots that are still scabbing and need time, but the rest looks great. Dr. Elson asked if I wanted another complimentary appointment next week so that he could look at it again and sign off on Koda's "conelessness" but I said that I thought I knew what to look for now, but if I had questions, I would call and make another appointment and he said that sounded great.

I'm just overall so pleased with him. Once you get in there and talk with him, he's just so genuine and caring. John noticed it immediately as well the one appointment he had... so it's just sweet. First doc I've ever really felt that about with my dogs Smile

Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 10:04 pm

So glad to hear Koda is just about all healed up!

Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Little late on a "get rid of the cone" idea but would a Thundershirt have helped? That way the wound would have been covered so Koda wouldn't have access to it.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 10:22 pm

Your vet sounds excellent. I'm so glad Koda is doing better, and I hope he can be cone-free very soon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Little late on a "get rid of the cone" idea but would a Thundershirt have helped? That way the wound would have been covered so Koda wouldn't have access to it.
I think he would have just destroyed it, unfortunately. In addition to the cone, we used t-shirts and sweatshirts to cover and protect the spot but without the cone he'd lick at the shirt until he weakened the fiber and then chewed right through it and bit it off.

When I say he is obsessive, I'm not exaggerating. Koda is very much an obsessive licker. You can tell by the look in his eyes when he starts. They literally glaze over and you can see him zone out. Sort of like doggy OCD.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Koda's gash   Koda's gash - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Koda's gash

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2