|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!
Join date : 2011-07-03
Location : NC
|Subject: Pudding Poop Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:31 pm|| |
***Caution: This post contains descriptions of stools; if that bothers you, you may not want to read further***
Our ~10 month old husky has been having stools, with increased frequency and urgency since Thursday morning around 1:30am, that resemble freshly mixed pudding in texture (not necessarily color). I don't know of anything he may have eaten that could cause a blockage and we haven't changed his food since ~November (?), and that change went well. No new treats. He has had raw hide, but not in super-large quantities (he enjoys it so much and I can get work done!). He isn't lethargic, but his energy level is decreased and he doesn't eat with his normal zest and enthusiasm. He doesn't seem in pain, and isn't crying, but has been having problems getting what little "pudding poop" there is to come out. Each time is about 2tsp- 2Tsp; color is normal (for him). Nothing seems to be making it better or worse, then again I haven't tried much other than time and some slight palpation of his abdomen (but I do humans, not dogs, so I wasn't sure what I was feeling for). Bowel sounds are present. Other than this he's a very healthy dog and normally doesn't have trouble passing the other random things that he's eaten.
I called the vet this morning and they recommended not feeding him until 2pm tomorrow (eastern US time- if that matters), thinking it might be a dietary upset. In the back of my mind I'm thinking some kind of blockage. The only time he's had diarrhea before was when he ate a 1/4 of a tennis ball, but then it was much more watery and explosive. He has vomited 3x, but those have just been a yellow liquid (normal for him/his food)- no solids; all three times were in the morning.
Anyway, I'm telling you all this because I was wondering what your experiences have been? This is our first dog and we've had him since June.
1) Do you agree with not feeding him until tomorrow afternoon? (I feel like if there is a partial blockage of some sort, that if I feed him it'll push it through)
2) Do you know of anything I could feed him that might help move things along?
3) Would the dog park/exercise be a good idea or a bad idea?
4) Any other suggestions?
5) Random: if anyone has a medical background, would you consider that a pretty good HPI? I'm in PA school....
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Join date : 2009-06-23
Location : Huntsville, AL
|Subject: Re: Pudding Poop Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:51 pm|| |
I would be worried about a blockage too. I don't like hearing that he's trying to poop but isn't producing results. I would agree with the vet and hold off on food for now. If there is a serious blockage, adding more food behind it might compound the problem rather than fix it.
I would also call a different vet, explain the situation over the phone, and get a second opinion.
Please excuse my brevity since I am replying from my cell.
Edited to add: Do you feel any hard lumps in the abdominal region? Also, canned (regular) pumpkin can sometimes help regulate the digestive system. And if he's not feeling up to par I would skip the park and only walk if he wants to.
|» Recall Information|
by aljones Yesterday at 9:22 pm
» Are Huskies inherently food aggressive?
by cfh1973 Yesterday at 2:07 pm
» New guy, with a rescued pup
by amymeme Yesterday at 1:44 am
» Any owners of Blind Huskies?
by Lostmaniac Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:22 pm
» Leo's Scrapbook
by RedFlashFire05 Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm
» Storm scrap book.
by Liv_Skye Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 am
» Apollo Scrap book
by Liv_Skye Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:47 am
» Bolt Scrap Book
by Liv_Skye Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:46 am
» Bodhi's Fate
by Liv_Skye Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:44 am
» The Desert Pack
by Gillian Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:53 pm
» When will my husky start shedding?
by Lostmaniac Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:22 pm
» Reverse Sneezing
by TwisterII Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:57 am
» Does your husky howl?
by RedFlashFire05 Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:18 pm
» Dakota: Husky-Mix— but what is she mixed with?!
by Lostmaniac Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:19 pm
» Hi! New owner to a husky puppy.
by HuskyMomma89 Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:40 am
» Hiking with Dogs: Cape Horn, WA
by TwisterII Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:26 am
» How often do you let out your Huskies to pee?
by aljones Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:10 pm
» Try to Do a Guy a Favor...
by aljones Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 pm
» Hoo Flung Doo
by TwisterII Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:23 am
» New Husky mix
by Kavik_the_Havoc Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 pm