It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The Kennel is Expanding!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

The Kennel is Expanding!  Empty
PostSubject: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 12:57 am

Well it will be tomorrow anyway...from 9 dogs to 10!

One of my main leaders will be turning 11 this year which makes this racing season his last. Sad
So, I found myself in need of another dog, a leader, to take his place.

Tomorrow we'll be picking up Rory, a 1 1/2 year old Alaskan husky. Obviously shes not a leader yet but hopefully with training she will be by this fall. She has an awesome lineage and comes from a line of leaders so she has great potential.

Anyways I should be back tomorrow with some pictures!! I'm also going to rename her so some name ideas would be greatly appreciated! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:54 am

Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:20 pm

congrats ! ~
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:55 pm

That's great! Can't wait to see pictures.
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Here she is on the car ride home.
The Kennel is Expanding!  Rorys_10

And here she is after I introduced her to all of the dogs and sat with her at her house for a while. I went into the house to get my camera and when I came back out, this is out she greeted me.
A bit excited, eh? lol
The Kennel is Expanding!  Sydney10

Over all, she is settling in quite nicely. She barked and carried on when I went inside to eat dinner earlier but she has quieted down now. Tomorrow (and pretty much the rest of the week) I will be spending all day with her so she can get used to my smell, voice, and rythym. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks (depending on how fast she settles in) we'll be able to take her out for a run with the team! We're going to take it slow though and mainly just work on building her confidence while running in a team. Although she may be an adult, she is just a puppy in the sled dog world.

Oh and I've been thinking of naming her Sydney...I would keep her old name but 'Rory' just doesn't roll of my tongue very well.
I'm open for suggestions though!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:53 am

I love her mask! I hope she enjoys her new "pack"! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:05 am

I love the name Rory, but I know what you mean about it not rolling off the tongue. Sydney's cute.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:22 am

Congrats Very Happy I like Sydney!

I also love her face!

I wish I could find a place a closer that bred non-white faced Siberians. Sad I have to go out west for a working line conformation dog though X_X. But they don't do as well in Conformation but I absolutely -love- their faces.

The Kennel is Expanding!  Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 am

She is cute. Smile Looks like she certainly has enough energy to make a great sled dog!
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks guys!

Yep, I think I'm going to go with Sydney. I've been saying it to her ever since I brought her home and she is already responding to it.

Quote :
I wish I could find a place a closer that bred non-white faced Siberians. I have to go out west for a working line conformation dog though X_X. But they don't do as well in Conformation but I absolutely -love- their faces.
I don't know if you've done this already or not but you could do a search on the Kennels page on Sled Dog Central. There are quite a few kennels on there that breed working line Siberian huskies with quite a variety of coloring between them all. I know there are some that both show and work their huskies too... http://www.sleddogcentral.com/kennelinks_usa.htm#top
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Congrats on the new addition! Sydney is a great looking dog, and I *love* the picture of her jumping. Too cute! Good luck with the training!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

The Kennel is Expanding!  85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:11 pm

that jumping pic needs a caption! what is her mix? she almost looks like my friends husky/gsd mix.
cant wait to hear how her progress goes, Congrats!

Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:16 pm

Thanks Piper!

I haven't done that. I know there are kennels out here that race and do conformation but I've only seen like the "normal" show dogs.

I did actually see my first Siberian who didn't have the white face at a show in November and she was absolutely beautiful. But my understanding is working line conformation Siberians dont show as well and they're hard to finish. I don't know how true it is but I just absolutely love their markings and color.

(I know you don't pick for appearance in conformation but they're amazing! Ill do my research and even see if I could handle a working line Siberian in the future and if my conformation career doesnt work out I'm going to try and get one!)

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:23 pm

She's so cute! I love the name Sydney!
Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Quote :
what is her mix?
Well to be honest, I'm not really sure. I know she has Pointer in her as there is a dog from the guy who bred my Eurohound in her lineage. She also may have some Greyhound in her too...
Not sure about GSD but it's possible. With these Alaskan's it could be a lot of different breeds. lol

She has excellent bloodlines though. The main names in her lineage are Susan Butcher, Lloyd Gilbertson (both big names in the Iditarod), Egil Ellis, E. Streeper (both big names in the sprint racing world). I take a lot of pride in her pedigree... haha Cool

Quote :
I did actually see my first Siberian who didn't have the white face at a show in November and she was absolutely beautiful. But my understanding is working line conformation Siberians dont show as well and they're hard to finish. I don't know how true it is but I just absolutely love their markings and color.
Yeah, I've heard the same as well.

Iditarod musher, Karen Ramstead breeds her sibes for the Iditarod trail and the show ring. I don't know how well she does in shows but I thought that was kind of cool--dogs going from the Iditarod race trail to the show ring. http://www.northwapiti.com/iditarodchampions.html

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Quote :
Yeah, I've heard the same as well.

Iditarod musher, Karen Ramstead breeds her sibes for the Iditarod trail and the show ring. I don't know how well she does in shows but I thought that was kind of cool--dogs going from the Iditarod race trail to the show ring. http://www.northwapiti.com/iditarodchampions.html

That's actually really awesome! It looks like she's championed quite a number of her racers - mostly leaders. I love her splash coat Siberian (Champion Chuchinka's Pathfinder) and her Piebald (Champion NorthWapiti's Guy Smiley)!

Champion NorthWapiti's Valkyrie Kara I've actually heard quite a bit about because of her racing career and was finished to her championship. A lot of people use her as a comparison between the show and racing lines.

She has a lot of dogs (not actually has but dogs that were bred to produce her current dogs) that produced these dogs that BiS BISS :o I'm surprised they don't do better.

Quote :
The main names in her lineage are Susan Butcher,
I was reading on one of the kennel sites (I got from the previous site you linked me) about her and how only three of their dogs weren't from her lines (they had something like 30 dogs). I'm assuming she's something of the superstar in the racing world to be spoken so highly of her lines.

I don't know anything about competitive mushing but I'm really interested in it now Very Happy. When my dad sees something about the Iditarod he brings me home whatever it is to read. I've just never actively researched it on my own.

Last edited by Niraya on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Congratulations! I hope she's as good at working as she is at jumping Wink That's an awesome photo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Quote :
She has a lot of dogs (not actually has but dogs that were bred to produce her current dogs) that produced these dogs that BiS BISS :o I'm surprised they don't do better.
Ok, I'll admit I know next to nothing about the show dog world--what is BiS BISS? Neutral

Quote :
I was reading on one of the kennel sites (I got from the previous site you linked me) about her and how only three of their dogs weren't from her lines (they had something like 30 dogs). I'm assuming she's something of the superstar in the racing world to be spoken so highly of her lines
Susan Butcher is a legend in the sled dog world. She was the 2nd female to win the Iditarod and then went on to win it 3 more times. She bred/had some of the best sled dogs in the world during her racing career.
Sadly though she passed away in 2006 to cancer. Crying or Very sad

I was just looking at Sydney's pedigree and one of Susan's favorite lead dogs, Tolstoi is actually Sydney's great great grandpa.

Quote :
I don't know anything about competitive mushing but I'm really interested in it now .
Hmmm...that's how the addiction starts for some people....you might find yourself in Alaska with a team of your own someday!! lol! Wink
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Quote :
Ok, I'll admit I know next to nothing about the show dog world--what is BiS BISS?

Best in Show/Best in Specialty Show

Quote :
Sadly though she passed away in 2006 to cancer.
I'm sorry to hear Sad. It's a tragic thing when someone of such great stature passes Sad.

Quote :
I was just looking at Sydney's pedigree and one of Susan's favorite lead dogs, Tolstoi is actually Sydney's great great grandpa.

Hopefully she's inherited some of her Great Great Grandfathers qualities/genes that made him her favorite Razz

Quote :
Hmmm...that's how the addiction starts for some people....you might find yourself in Alaska with a team of your own someday!! lol!

I wish Razz. I've half jokingly said to my father I want to at least have a four dog Siberian Team one day. It's always been something I've been "interested" in. Not in the sense that I sat around reading everything I could. But when I come across it I read about it - ya know?

I do bikejoring with Bella right now. We both love doing it but I don't do it very often. I know she can easily do long distances with no problem but her heart problem lingers at the back of my mind on the longer jaunts because I don't want something to happen to her.

Back to top Go down
Piper
Puppy
Puppy
Piper

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:23 am

Quote :
Best in Show/Best in Specialty Show

Ah ok, thanks. Smile

Quote :
Hopefully she's inherited some of her Great Great Grandfathers qualities/genes that made him her favorite

Yes, I hope so!

Quote :
I wish . I've half jokingly said to my father I want to at least have a four dog Siberian Team one day. It's always been something I've been "interested" in. Not in the sense that I sat around reading everything I could. But when I come across it I read about it - ya know?

I do bikejoring with Bella right now. We both love doing it but I don't do it very often. I know she can easily do long distances with no problem but her heart problem lingers at the back of my mind on the longer jaunts because I don't want something to happen to her.
That's basically how I got started. I have a lot of family in Alaska who kept my family and I up-to-date on the happenings of the Iditarod and other races up there and my grandma would send me newspaper clippings about the race and what not.

Then it turned into a full fledged addiction! haha Razz Wink

Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:29 am

xD! oh no! My father would kill me. Though - having Bella has really turned him to dogs (he really disliked them before her). I don't know if it is just her personality/breed or the fact that since I've gotten her I've done a complete 180 from the depression I was in from the loss of my Pyrenees.

I like to think it is her Razz

At the absolute earliest (if I can keep my patience at wanting a puppy to a minimum)it'll be a year before I even seriously consider a puppy.

So my options are very open to breeders and dogs right now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Kennel is Expanding!    The Kennel is Expanding!  Empty

Back to top Go down

The Kennel is Expanding!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1