It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heatherann0420
Newborn
Newborn
Heatherann0420

Female Join date : 2012-01-10

BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home Empty
PostSubject: BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home   BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:50 pm

This might be a little long but I figured of all people to ask, you all would be the best Wink. Two questions: first I will start with the background story.

My husband's mother was what you would call a "Back Yard Breeder." About a year ago she had three huskies; two females and a male. These dogs were kept in their back yard and the male (to this day) lives chained up to a tree. One female escaped and the other died for unknown reasons after giving birth to her last litter (Beau and his brother). I THINK she was bred every heat cycle (which I heard is bad). Anyway, Beau and his brother lived outside since birth (he was born in February last yr.. can you say snow? Freezing temperatures? Fleas? Worms?). My, at the time, fiance told me about the pups and said he had always wanted one and since this was Lucy's last litter he was thinking about keeping Beau. Long story short we "rescued" Beau from his muddy back yard home with his bully of a brother in May. He was very thin and had bad skin. His first night with us he had a seizure. It was the scariest thing watching that little puppy go through that.. I was crying. We brought him to the vet where their only conclusion was that he was so malnourished it had something to do with his sugar levels or something, idk. He hasn't had a seizure since then.

Two months later my husband's mom suddenly passed away. It's been horrible for his family (especially his father). Recently we turned the house upside down looking for her breeding papers and what not. After not finding them we jumped through all these hoops with AKC so my husband now has her rights as a breeder so we can now register Beau.
Question one: Is there a way for us to find out who purchased the other pup from that litter? Or find out where his mom originally bought her huskies?

Question two: I think my husky is quite the handsome guy but I don't think he is "breed standard". I heard there are agility trials and other competitions for huskies. Beau is very fast and very athletic and I would love to be able to work with him and train him for competitions (would help with his behavior too!) Does anyone have experience in this area who could give me info? For instance, am I still allowed to compete with him even though he has a history of having a seizure?

And while we're here...
The male husky is still chained up in my father-in-law's back yard. It BREAKS MY HEART whenever we go over there. I cry every time. He has flea bitten ears, over-grown claws.. clearly isn't taken care of. The poor thing cries begging for attention. We always walk him when we go and that dog is double Beau's size and couldn't pull me if he tried. He's only about 2 yrs old.. and BEAUTIFUL! If my husband and I get a house any time soon I am taking that dog to live with us. However, my husband's dad doesn't want anyone taking the dog because it was his wife's. And Lord only knows how many years it will be before we can afford a house that will house three dogs. He could honestly care less about the poor thing. I've debated calling animal control but it would crush my father-in-law..........advice?
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home   BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 7:39 pm

One, sorry to hear about your MIL, regardless of her ill-breeding style.

Two, I, personally, would rescue that dog from the back yard no matter what anyone said. You won't forget him, and it will likely haunt you that you didn't do anything.

Three, the dog in the yard is animal abuse. Plain and simple. If you cannot take him, call a Siberian Husky rescue. No dog, or animal, deserves to live in those conditions. Family or not.
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Keimo&Izzi
Teenager
Teenager
Keimo&Izzi

PostSubject: Re: BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home   BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Having the dog chained doesn't make me happy, but that by itself wouldn't be enough for me to cause a fuss. Once upon a time, that was the only choice I had for my dog during the day, but as soon as I got home, that dog was inside with me getting lots of love and attention. If the dog is getting no human interaction other than when you are there, you need to do something. That's not the way a dog is meant to live. They are born companions. I'd try talking to your husband's father again.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home   BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm sorry about your MIL Sad Must be so hard for your husband and father in law. Hard on you as well since you have to be a support system for him. Prayers are with your family.

Now, please find him a home ASAP. Whether it's temporarily with you until you're able to find him a good home, threw a rescue, or whatever other means possible. No dog should be living in those conditions Sad I would steal the dog if I had to and not tell my father in law. IMO, it's very selfish of him to keep the dog just because it was his wives (in those living conditions that is). I'm sure that it's just the poor mans way of copping with the situation, but keeping a suffering dog is not only selfish, but very mean.

I hope you get it all figured out! Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home   BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm

1. The paperwork of the mother should have her breeders name. If you can't find it there, like if AKC gave you new paperwork, then I don't think you can find her breeder. Unless your MIL left the names and addresses of who she sold puppies to, I don't think you can find out where they went.

2. You can do agility, rally, obedience, sledding, weight pulling, lure coursing, pretty much any dog sport without papers. There are more organizations than just AKC that does agility. Agility is really fun. I've done some with my two. Look in your area and see if you can find agility classes. Buying the equipment yourself is quite expensive. Like I think a new A-frame costs about $1,000. But you can make jumps and weave pools pretty easily for cheap. Make sure you have a really good recall with him! And only practice in fully fenced in areas or indoors.

3. If his condition is breaking your heart, I'd try really hard to convince your FIL that he needs a new home. The poor dog shouldn't live that way.

BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home   BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home Empty

Back to top Go down

BYBs, competitions, and a Husky in need of a home

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1