It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fourtsixand2
Newborn
Newborn
fourtsixand2

Female Join date : 2011-12-10

Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? Empty
PostSubject: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 3:13 pm

I have 2 issues … one of which was brought to my attention this morning.

I have Audrey, my 8 year old Husky, and Achilles, my new 1 year old Husky.
I’ve had Audrey as my only dog for all 8 years of her life, and she has been Mommy’s ‘spoiled girl’. I had always shot down the idea of getting another dog because she’d been the only one for so long. However, a friend was unable to keep their 1 year old Husky, Achilles, due to a housing situation. I agreed to give him a try and see how it went. Long story short, he’s been at the house for a while now and I’ve grown attached. Audrey stayed at her ‘Daddy’s house’ for about 2 weeks, which left Achilles as the only dog in the house while she was out. She’s been back home for about 4 or 5 days now.

My two issues:

Achilles seems to pace a lot at bedtime. I wonder if it’s a change for him, because he used to be crated at night and while they were at work. I now only crate him while I go to work, and I leave him out the rest of the time. Audrey sleeps on the bed, but last night (as an example) I couldn’t get him to settle down. Since the first day I got him, he immediately goes right under the bed to sleep. He stayed there for just a minute or two last night, then he just paced around the bed, would sit for a minute or so, then pace again until I finally got up and let him out. He went potty, got a little water, then we came back into the bedroom and the cycle repeated. I got tired of the pacing, so I just took him into the living room and let him sleep out there – he had no problems and plopped down and went right to sleep. Thoughts???

My second issue …
Audrey, like I said, has been the only dog for 8 years. She is VERY sweet, easy going, and gentle for the most part. This morning my roommate noticed she was chewing on a decorative pillow that she wasn’t supposed to have (it resembled a toy, in her defense). According to him, he went to get it and she ran to the couch. He said he took it from her, she fought to hold onto it, and then when he finally grabbed it he put it down. He said he went to ‘tap her on the nose’ to let her know that was a no-no and she bit him. I saw the picture – it is a very deep puncture. He said she kept trying to bite him while he held her by the nape of the neck until he was able to push her to the side. This is obviously really startling (and scary) to me because even he said he’s never seen her act like that before. I asked if Achilles was near her and he said no. I’m worried that she is becoming possessive, or that she’s starting to change because he is here … and that is something I swore I wouldn’t do – I wouldn’t keep him if she started to act different.
Sometimes she’s possessive over food, like a lot of dogs are, but she’s never bitten anyone with such aggression in her entire life. I would really like some thoughts or insight. I’m worried … I don’t want this to happen again and I don’t know if him being here is causing her stress or anger.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 4:13 pm

I think maybe there's some consistency issues? She was the only dog at your home, then he came in and they were together, then she left and went to be a single dog in another home, now she's back with him again... Seems like just a bit of confusion for both of them.

Personally I would ge back to basics with them and start working from scratch. Set rules and boundaries and stick to them. Put them on a schedule and get them back onto a predictable routine. Doesn't really sound like anything other than confused dogs.

The pacing at tonight is probably from stress/change of the living situations. You can incorporate NILIF and do some bonding walks with the 3 of you. Perhaps for some time it may be better to reintroduce the crates. As for the biting... I would advise your roommate to not tap her on the nose or any oth physical punishments. If she's doing something like that and doesn't become possessive of the pillow just take it away, put it up, and remove her from the couch or bed or whoever she has gone. Safest way to do that is with a slip leash.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

i second the recommendations placed. You need to bond and let him know that you are all a family. It will just take time.

Best of luck for it, you'll get Achilles and Audrey to being a pack in no time.
Back to top Go down
Domingo
Teenager
Teenager
Domingo

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 6:24 pm

We are new to the two dog life as well, so I can't offer too much advice. However, I agree that it sounds like a lot of changes for a dog in a short period of time. Try to get things in order, structured and stable for a couple weeks and see if things settle down some.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:00 pm

When you consider wolf packs, if a packmember dies or a new member joins the whole pack structure changes, so maybe she is just testing her position again.
If you give them some time things will go well I´m sure.
Back to top Go down
Forrest
Newborn
Newborn
Forrest

Male Join date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Jack paced every night for the first month after I found him. The consistency is the most important thing. Do what you want to do, but make sure it's the same every night, and ignore their behavior. If you want him to sleep in your bedroom, do so and ignore the pacing. He'll settle down once he's ready to. As for the possessiveness, the best thing I've seen work for that is to practice hand feeding. At least one meal per day, have the dog literally eat out of the palm of your hand, one handful at a time. This let's her know that the food comes from you because you let it, not from a magical bowl on the floor. Short of that, practice give-and-take. Put her food down and pick it back up when she's halfway done. Wait five minutes, then give her the rest. Do the same thing with toys, practice giving something to her and then taking it back in a calm manner. This works for most dogs. Yes, even huskies.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:55 pm

If she keeps up this unusual agressive behavior, maybe have her thyroid level checked. But that's just if she starts acting really weird. Just wanted to throw that out there. My guess is it is the new stress from another dog (which I think can be worked through) and not thyroid, but just in case.

Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 2:17 am

Yup - what everyone else said. And tell your roommate that physically punishing a dog leads to aggression.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?   Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please? Empty

Back to top Go down

Worried ... two 'issues' - advice or help, please?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1