It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Malnurished and desperate rescue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Malnurished and desperate rescue Empty
PostSubject: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:35 pm

Hey guys,

Today I picked up a Lab mix 8-9 month old named Waylon. He is the saddest puppy I have ever seen that is actually from a home. He has a very sad story of a life. He first owner named Bub passed away in October. He has been pushed around Bub's family ever since. He last home had him outside in the backyard that was fenced. When we went to pick him up he had NO WATER bowl, and a rubbermaid container that they threw food in by what seems to be enough to make it seem that he was fed. I can tell you with almost 100% certianty that he didn't have food within 30 mins of us getting there. Got him home today and he is maybe 30 lbs...he is physically as big as Cali..so I think he should be lil over 50 lbs. I gave him water and a lil bit of food.

My question is what do you guys suggest on when and how much I should feed him. I don't want to completely shock his system.

Thanks for your help, I will post pics soon.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 11:55 pm

Not really sure, but only small amounts at first. Poor dog!

Malnurished and desperate rescue Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:00 am

Oh yeah, he is def going with small meals of dry and canned food for sure, got some left over meatloaf my sister in law said she wasn't going to eat. I am going to work with him tomorrow more, today is just water and lil food and relaxing..if he can.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:03 am

Depends on the food. Usually something really bland like boiled chicken and brown rice. Lots of small meals is best.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:10 am

Here are a few pics, he is a great dog and really annoys me that someone who had him as a pet was treating him worse than someone that just had a "dog"

Malnurished and desperate rescue 03310

Malnurished and desperate rescue 03410

He does do a mean husky curl though
Malnurished and desperate rescue 03510
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:19 am

O M G!!! Poor baby Sad Look at his ribs! I really don't understand how anybody could treat a dog that way!!! Thank god that he found you!!!!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:22 am

It is sad, he is just a people person, lil unsure at first but with in 5 mins we were buds. He finally got water and became happy. At her house where we got him he would only walk on carpet, here he is walking on fake hardwood floors and has had no problem. he is curled up on a foam pad w/ blanket
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:52 am

Aww, that is so very sad. Kudos to you for taking him in. Definitely lots of smaller meals. If you haven't already I'd get the earliest possible vet appointment you can to not only assess his health but also to get the vet's opinion on what kind of feeding schedule and amounts they would suggest.

Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks, we are making arrangements on monday to get him in asap!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 1:24 am

Poor baby Sad He's a skinny boy!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 1:33 am

Poor guy! Are you fostering or thinking about keeping him?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 1:42 am

Well recovery is first, then I think I might keep him...we shall see how he does. He didn't like his bath but he smells better with wet dog smell then b4 it...sad isnt it? People have asked me and I told them I would like to keep him. Now Cali is coming back so I hope they get along.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:02 am

Awww poor guy, he looks so sad. Sad Kudos to you for taking him in. He'll be a happy pup again in no time.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:39 am

he is going a little crazy on the water in my opinion. I could be wrong since he didn't have much water at his last "jail cell". Is there a thing as to having too much water to drink?

Just checking.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 3:36 am

There is a thing as too much water, and it leads to bloat in large breeds - but not sure if labs are prone to that.

Maybe add some pumpkin to the food too, to keep his stool solid. In a few days, start him on "silk balls" or "satin balls" (look up recipe online) to put the weight on quickly. One silk ball equals a whole days calories - so add one a day. I read you may have to break his meals into 3 or 4 meals a day so he can handle it. We had a super skinny rescue that I transported and he put on the weight in a healthy manner on 1 satin ball a day plus TOTW Pacific Stream at his normal calorie amount. He looks great now and became a foster failure! Smile

Make sure you get him dewormed too - that could be contributing to the weight loss. The worming powder was about $25 from our vet.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 3:40 am

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?96023-Nourishing-a-malnourished-dog!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks alot Sam, I called a buddy when I was bring Indy home about the satin balls - he will be on them tomorrow. He has an appointment 11:15 am monday morning. He is getting one cup of food 3-4 times a day. I will get some pumpkin to help out, I ran out on Cali and since she left, sadly only temp, I didn't get to the store yet. Days have been crazy when he came into our lives here. The best part is, so far, Cali is tolerating him pretty darn well!

Thanks again guys, Great help
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:16 am

Yay! Glad they're getting along! Smile Keep us posted! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:22 am

Poor puppy! He's just skin and bones!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:31 am

Went on a short walk and Cali showed she is lead dog, she kept an eye on him watching where he was and wanting to adjust speed to keep an eye on him. I can not believe how she is acting with him even in the house, let alone on the walks with him.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:38 am

Did they ever tell you what exactly happen with Cali for them to return her?
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 am

"she was aggressive to their husky Stango which over the week cause him to become aggressive"- but to me...I think they misunderstood husky play, they are previous husky owners both, but never two at one time. Its annoying they never called with updates about her, just we need to bring her home...but its okay. Today on our walk after I got her home i found a 3 musketeers wrapper in her stools...wasn't exactly happy if you can imagine
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 2:57 pm

Okay,
Friday Weight : 29 lbs
Sunday Weight : 33 lbs
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Very Happy Yay!
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 am

okay, well the vet visit went great!!! The vet went against what we all thought was right about feeding him lots of little meals instead of feed him all he wants. So I am going to feed him a little more but only do it three times a day instead of 4 times. He also suggested vegatable oil on top of the food to help him add more, I was thinking of adding peanut butter instead of veg oil, what do you guys think?

He got all his shots, x-rays to check for dispasia- PASSED!, and good overall check with a PASS eval with work on food/weight issue.

Overall I am very happy with him. He has made Cali such a great "pack leader" and calmer lately which is great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malnurished and desperate rescue   Malnurished and desperate rescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Malnurished and desperate rescue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next