It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! Empty
PostSubject: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 pm

Aspen is doing really good but then Willow will get really dominant on her and then Aspen will attack her. Now, it's not bad...there is no blood drawn. I think she is just telling Willow to back off, but I am not experienced in this, so I need to make sure I don't make the situation worse. For the most part, Aspen seems to being doing great. She really has no issues until Willow gets dominant on her. And even then, she submits to Willow by laying down and showing her belly. But Willow doesn't back down and will stand over her and keep getting in her face. That's when Aspen has had enough. Willow doesn't seem to want Aspen to engage in play with her and Piper or allow Aspen to play with a toy. Is this normal for establishing pack order? Right after I break up the fight, they lay down next to each other and seem to be fine. I can make them all sit right next to each other and give them a treat and even feed them their meals and we have had no issues! Piper slept with my son last night so Aspen and Willow slept on my bed with me last night. Again, no issues. Am I on the right track? Do I need to do more?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 pm

I think what's probably going on is that you've introduced and older female who is intact and who's had a litter to a family where your "resident" females are younger and not as "mature" as Aspen. I think that's where this struggle for "pack order" is coming from. Honestly, unless there's blood or they're becoming increasingly difficult to separate.. i'd let them "fight it out" to an extent.

When I bring home a new dog, said new dog is expected to act as all the others are expected. Everyone sits and waits before we go outside, everyone sits and waits for dinner, and I do pull up all toys for a while until everyone has adjusted. If you see Willow pushing her like that try and remove her from the situation, and have to listen to what Aspen is trying to communicate. Or you can just give her a warning (i'll usually say "watch it- Cheyenne" if she's getting too rough with Ro) and she knows (both by the tone of my voice and from hearing it so often) she needs to back off. If Willow continues to pester Aspen through that and a spat breaks out (and doesn't end within 5-10 seconds) I give a big "EY!" separate the dogs and put them back together a few minutes later. But both dogs need to be removed out of whatever room they were in and put into 2 different rooms or places to collect themselves.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 pm

arooroomom wrote:
If you see Willow pushing her like that try and remove her from the situation, and have to listen to what Aspen is trying to communicate. Or you can just give her a warning (i'll usually say "watch it- Cheyenne" if she's getting too rough with Ro) and she knows (both by the tone of my voice and from hearing it so often) she needs to back off. If Willow continues to pester Aspen through that and a spat breaks out (and doesn't end within 5-10 seconds) I give a big "EY!" separate the dogs and put them back together a few minutes later. But both dogs need to be removed out of whatever room they were in and put into 2 different rooms or places to collect themselves.

Thank you! This is what I was so unsure of what to do. I really want things to start out right with them. Aspen stole a toy last night and Willow let her but it seems like Willow woke up on the wrong side of the bed and is now trying to take charge. She never did this with Piper, but then Piper was only 4 mos old. Right now as I type, Aspen is trying to get to Piper to play and Willow keeps stepping in front of her.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Ok, I have another issue. She is so gentle when taking treats that I was surprised with how hard she bites when I coax her into playing. Should I do the "yell ouch and walk away" thing? I just don't want to set her back. When I try to get her to play, it's like she is trying to believe that's what I really want and then when she decides it is, she gets so excited and chomps down on my hands and arms really hard. Its painful. I didn't yell ouch becuase she still timid with loud noises. I just stopped the play and gently pushed her off of me and walked away. Do you think that is enough? I hate having to stop it so soon becuase you can tell it makes her happy that I want to engage with her but I really need to get her to be gentler in her play.
Back to top Go down
beh46
Newborn
Newborn
beh46

Male Join date : 2012-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:56 pm

I have a rescue dog myself that i just got and was having the same problem with the rough play but only with me and other people. He plays great with other dogs super gentle but with people he gets nippy I've been telling everyon he thinks its play but people don't always understand. He plays hardest with me but never bites to pain. I was going to ask the same question about correcting it Mindy but you be me to it ha
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Aspen bites pretty hard. My arm is tingling from it! If she wasn't so timid, I wouldn't worry about the correction so much. Ben, hopefully someone will give us some good advice! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 2:44 am

If she seems timid with loud sounds I would avoid yelling. I think you did the right thing with stopping play and walking away. I would say something like "ouch", but just say it in a startled way instead of yelling it. After you walk away just ignore her for a little bit. Hopefully she will start to realize that when she bites hard play stops. What kind of toy are you using when you are trying to get her to play? Maybe try plaing a game where she has less contact with you, such as fetch. JPushing her to play may just get her really riled up, causing her to bite down harder. Its posible that she may be calmer when she is the one initiating play. I would just keep mental notes of everything, and give her a little more time to settle in before implimenting any specific "plan".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!   Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack! Empty

Back to top Go down

Need tips to help Rescue become part of the pack!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1