It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Koda has been very bad today :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

Female Join date : 2012-01-05

Koda has been very bad today :( Empty
PostSubject: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:17 pm

I had to leave the apartment for about 5 hours today. Both the foster and previous owner told me she wasn't destructive at all, so I decided to leave her uncrated but shut the bedroom door. BIG MISTAKE. She probably would have been fine if I had left the door open, but she bit/scratched the bedroom door and ripped up carpet and padding (a big section) that is probably going to cost me money and a lot of inconvenience to have it replaced and move out of the bedroom. So I was already upset about that.

Then the maintenance guy comes over to take a look, she always barks when people knock on the door, come in. So I assured him that she was just barking and apologized. We go to the bedroom and he's on his hands and knees looking at the carpet, she starts sniffing his hand and seems to have calmed down and then she bites him on the hand!!!!!! I was so upset! It didn't draw blood and the guy said it was okay, but this is completely unacceptable and has me really scared. It's one thing to be aggressive to dog,s it's another thing to have to worry about her biting people who come over to our home. This has upset me WAY more than the carpet and I don't know what to do. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Oh no!!!! That's not good at all!
Did she give any warning before biting the man aside from barking?
Maybe she didn't get enough exercise before you left and she was frustrated ...
Could you try talking to a behaviorist and see if that's something they could help you with?
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 pm

My husband says we can't keep her if she's going to bite people. I'm so upset right now, I'm crying. Why did she have to do that? No
Back to top Go down
Flhuskylover
Puppy
Puppy
Flhuskylover

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Oh no! Rachel, was she maybe trying to play with the maintenance guy since he was down on his knees? Sometimes that's how Odin plays with us and it's a play bite. It's never hard or anything and he doesn't apply much pressure at all? Maybe she was excited and that's what she was doing? I agree with Kelly, you may need to talk to a behaviorist. If she was playing she just doesn't know how to play correctly maybe? That play biting is a no-no? I wish you the best of luck and my heart goes out to you. I hope everything works out for you and Koda!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:47 pm

ummm im sorry but you should NEVER leave any dog out new or old when new people come into your home and even more so when you know they will be getting low on the floor. this in my eyes was not so much her fault as it was your own for not securing the dogs in a safe area. Im sorry she ate your carpet and im sorry she bit the guy (glad no blood was drawn) but she is still new in YOUR home and until she can be trusted i would keep her crated and work on introducing her to new people of all kinds to get her used to it.

Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm

I don't think my husband is willing to compromise on this, and honestly as much as it kills me to say it I'm not sure either. Please know that I say this with tears streaming down my face. I am SO sad right now. We had given her a week trial period to see how she adjusted with Drake, and she was doing so well. We just talked last night about how we could probably go ahead and end the trial period because we were so happy with her...and this happens. And my husband says we need to take her back.

I am literally heartbroken. I know that seems trite since we've had her only 6 days, but I mean it. I have grown so attached to her, she is such a joy. But we already have one "problem" dog, albeit a different set of issues. I don't think either of us are ready to handle an aggressive dog who we will have to worry about biting guests in our home. No, I don't think it was a friendly bite. I could be wrong, I obviously don't know her intention. But she snarled when she did it, like the first day with Drake.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Rachel, I know this is very upsetting for you... Odin was very nasty about food in the beginning. He would snarl and would get very nasty over stupid things like vomit or even a stupid napkin once! I know you guys think this is a "huge" problem to have to deal with... but I honestly can't say that I don't think i'd be worried if a new man came into our home and got down like that on the floor.

Just breathe and relax and really be sure this is what you guys have to do. There's no doubt things you'll have to work with for Koda... I just have seen through updates how much she's helped Drake. I just worry about giving her back and all that disruption for Drake.

There are always options and there's always help here. Of course we don't want you to have to give up Koda, but only you can make that decision. Personally if it were me I would keep her and work through it. She certainly does have her own set of issues. But from the amount of places she's been bounced back and forth over just the past month is enough to make anyone crazy.

Just know that if you give her back to rescue you'll have to tell them what happened and it may be very difficult to place her when people see that she has bitten. Don't want to guilt trip you, just want you to know.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 pm

jbealer wrote:
ummm im sorry but you should NEVER leave any dog out new or old when new people come into your home and even more so when you know they will be getting low on the floor. this in my eyes was not so much her fault as it was your own for not securing the dogs in a safe area. Im sorry she ate your carpet and im sorry she bit the guy (glad no blood was drawn) but she is still new in YOUR home and until she can be trusted i would keep her crated and work on introducing her to new people of all kinds to get her used to it.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not by any means trying to discredit it. But my family has never had dogs to where this was necessary so it's something very frightening to me. I had no idea not to let him on the floor, he was in a completely different room and she came up to him. I know you say the fault lies with me, and perhaps it does, but I have no experience with this. My family or my husband's family has never had an aggressive dog, towards other dogs or towards people. My husband was wary of her being so aggressive to other dogs, but it was something he was willing to try, hence our "trial" period. This incident has given him a bad feeling and he doesn't feel comfortable with it. I have to respect his feelings on this, and honestly I feel inadequate to handle yet another dog with serious behavioral issues. I understand the implications of taking her back, I am heartbroken that she will most likely have to leave us. I adore her, I don't want her to go back to the foster, etc. But I hope that all of you whom I have come to greatly respect will also respect me during this time and the decision that we make. This isn't easy for us, and maybe if we were more experienced or were at a different stage of life we would feel more comfortable, but we don't. So please, everyone, don't think that I am nonchalant about this. I have been bawling my eyes out for over an hour, I've even asked my husband to come home early from work because I'm so distressed at the thought of giving her back.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Maybe you could talk to you're husband and convince him that it wasn't Koda's fault! She could have felt threatened by the man and just reacted in a negative way. Like Jennifer said, put her away when new people are in you're home. I've read that Huskies are not aggressive dog's and this is NOT common at all! There was a reason she did this and instead of just giving up on her after a simple mistake, I would honestly really try to work through it! This poor girl has been through so much and from all you're posts and pictures and video's, I truly believe it COULD work! It's not going to be easy at all, but you have to put yourself in this little girl's position, she is still very much a puppy and has been bounced around from place to place and is scared of the world! This man coming into her house probably frightened her and she reacted to it, yes it was a mistake, but help her LEARN from it, please don't just give up on Koda! She's made such great progress w/you're family Sad ... I'd hate to see her go back into foster care and bounced around Lord only know how many other places. Please reconsider this .... think of all the progress you've made with her in the last few days and how much joy should could bring to you in the many years to come.
Back to top Go down
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:19 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Rachel, I know this is very upsetting for you... Odin was very nasty about food in the beginning. He would snarl and would get very nasty over stupid things like vomit or even a stupid napkin once! I know you guys think this is a "huge" problem to have to deal with... but I honestly can't say that I don't think i'd be worried if a new man came into our home and got down like that on the floor.

Just breathe and relax and really be sure this is what you guys have to do. There's no doubt things you'll have to work with for Koda... I just have seen through updates how much she's helped Drake. I just worry about giving her back and all that disruption for Drake.

There are always options and there's always help here. Of course we don't want you to have to give up Koda, but only you can make that decision. Personally if it were me I would keep her and work through it. She certainly does have her own set of issues. But from the amount of places she's been bounced back and forth over just the past month is enough to make anyone crazy.

Just know that if you give her back to rescue you'll have to tell them what happened and it may be very difficult to place her when people see that she has bitten. Don't want to guilt trip you, just want you to know.

I've thought about this too...He would be so depressed, it just makes me cry more when I think about it. I see what you're saying, and I want SO badly for it to work out like this. But my husband and I will have to seriously discuss this. I cannot force his hand on this issue, we will have to be in agreement. I realize that it will be hard to place her in another home, and that weighs heavily on my heart too. I appreciate all of your thoughts and advice. I have left a message for my contact at SHRF, I plan on speaking to her and getting her take. I will also talk to my husband and make sure we think through our decision. Believe me, I would like nothing more than to pretend it never happened.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Rachel I was the SAME exact way! I got my first Dalmatian when I was 18 years old, Dalmatians are suppose to be these happy go lucky hyper dog's, but mine was lazy, aggressive, territorial, mean, and down right nasty to all men and some women (he even bit 3 little boys)! Everyone kept telling me to give him away, put him to sleep, he's a liability, he's a bad dog, etc ... but I worked with him and I trained him and now he's a joy! I don't know what I would do without my Domino! I am so glad I didn't listen to the other people who told me all these terrible things. I too did not have a clue on how to deal with this, I NEVER had an aggressive dog's and didn't even grow up owning a dog or knew the first thing about them. Like I said I was 18 years old and I trained my dog, worked with him, and most importantly did NOT give up on him! You can't give up on Koda! She has a little rust on her, but polish it out and let her shine! sunny lol that was so corny I know, but I couldn't resist.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:28 pm

I just don't think we want you to make a decision so quickly. Things happen, accidents happen, we slip up and things happen.

Either way it's you both who have to work with her and take care of her. Our opinions are only just that, opinions. The best decision for Koda is what's best. You know that regardless of what you end up doing or end up trying we will help you along the way! Talk with your husband and talk with the rescue and see what you come up with. Just don't make the decision today, I find that sleeping on it always helps things become clearer and I think better.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Rachel, breatheeeee!!! It's ok. I know that it's frustrating, but I'm going to be very honest with you. Please don't take it the wrong way. You know that we get along very well Smile

With that said. I think it's very wrong that you guys are just giving up on her. She has been through so much already and if you give her back you're just going to another home that gives up on her. Dogs are lifetime commitments and unless she does something horrific then IMO you need to stand by her and work it out. Others have had worse issues then this.

Yes, it's upsetting that she bit somebody, but as friendly as my dogs are towards humans (and I've had them both since puppies) I wouldn't EVER leave them loose when a stranger comes over. ESPECIALLY a man that she doesn't know and with you being home alone. Plus he was going to inspect the area that she messed up. She's not stupid, she knows she did something wrong by ripping up the carpet and she was protecting was she did wrong. Not saying it's right, but you have to try to think like a dog. When Mya digs a hole and I go cover it up she gets all protective over it. Once again, it's not right, but I think that's the reason why.

Not to mention Drake. Imagine what he would feel like if you take his friend.

I could go on, and on and on. I just REALLY think that you need to rethink this.
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 pm

Sad So sorry to hear this news, Rachel.

I think we all thought it would work out without any major issues.

I'm not sure myself what I would have done in your situation. I personally love huskies because they are supposed to be the least aggressive dog. I want a dog I can let people around without worrying. But...Koda has been through a lot. This isn't a dog you've raised underfoot since she was a puppy. I wouldn't let strangers around Bodhi, because I have no idea how he would react since I haven't known him that long and I don't feel confident saying he wouldn't bite anyone.

Some people trust their dogs home alone. I don't. I never not crate the dogs. EVER. But what is done is done...but I think in all fairness to Koda, you need to kindly convince your husband that this was half human error.
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 pm

I would like to see you keep her and work with her. Teach her the difference between good and bad behavior. She has already been bounced around a few times. If you give her back instead of working with her and the next person they give her to does the same thing and so on and so then she will never learn. Which then over time it will get worse. Which means as humans we failed her. Sad
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:31 pm

You must be heart-broken. it is a steep learning curve with a new dog, especially one that comes with a few problems. On the plus side, no blood was drawn - and that is actually a really good sign because she would have drawn blood if she meant to. So it was more of a nip than a bite, not that that makes it right.

Was it definitely a nip and not mouthing (like a misguided attempt to play)?

Today has obviously been a really hard day for Koda. She was left on her own for the first time in her new home - and she hasn't been there long enough to feel secure that it is home yet. She let you know that in future she needs to be crated. And she must have found it hard when the maintenance guy came - she isn't used to people visiting the home yet, and he was looking at the carpet she chewed up (and she will know she did wrong). And then he was also on the floor, which made him vulnerable. So for now you need to keep her on a lead or shut her away when someone comes to visit, at least for the beginning.

You and your husband don't have to decide today. You can talk to the rescue, and give yourself some time to get over the shock of it, before making a definite decision. Perhaps the rescue has a behaviourist who can work with you, or they can offer some other useful advice. But obviously you and your husband both have to be on board.

You did only take Koda as a trial run, so if you decide it is too much to handle, I wouldn't criticize you. I've been impressed at all you are doing to help Drake. It does seem that Drake needs another dog though. He will be upset for Koda to go, since it sounds like they are getting along fairly well now. If you decide that your home isn't the best one for Koda, then I think what you should look for is another well-behaved dog. There are dogs in rescue that are calm and well-behaved, and especially dogs that are a bit older might not get a chance at a home. So if it doesn't work with Koda, I think you should look for another dog that is already calm and well trained - doesn't even have to be a husky, though I know a husky is best.

I'm so sorry this happened. Give yourself time to get over the shock before you make a decision.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
rnelsen
Teenager
Teenager
rnelsen

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Well, I've calmed down, read all of your input, and also spoken to a friend of my mom's who works for SHRF. She had a lot of helpful things to say, and I really want to consider working with her. I agree that she probably felt threatened, as this is uncharacteristic of her usual behavior towards humans, and I am partially to blame for not knowing better. My husband and I will still need to be in agreement, so we'll discuss this more tonight. I will keep you all updated, thank you for the opinions and support. It's been a stressful day for everyone I think, but I'm hoping it will have a happy ending.
Back to top Go down
cbhart
Teenager
Teenager
cbhart

Female Join date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 3:51 pm

i think you should do what your heart tells you to do, when i brought River home you could tell he was beaten by some one and he cowers down to certain men and hes gotten better in the few months that i have had him but with not knowing their past you never know what may set them off and you really need to think about the safty not only for you but like you said for others, However i do think a behaviorist could help but you have to be willing to work on it with koda to try and make it better. I know you will do whats right and best wishes to you and some times you just have to do what is best
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Honestly, whenever someone comes to work on our house, or even the cable guy, they ALWAYS say to put the dogs and cats away. You should always do that, even if you had the dog for years. I hope you guys give Koda another chance
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Rachel, I'm sorry to hear all that's played out and you're in my thoughts as you both weigh and consider all your options. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. Six days is hardly enough time to see her true colors and this blip may very well be totally out of character for her and I personally wouldn't consider it grounds for expulsion if you have the time and means to be able to work with her further without putting any people, kids, or animals in harm. Do you have any kids in the home that would make it necessary to remove Koda immediately for safety sake?

rnelsen wrote:
My husband and I will still need to be in agreement, so we'll discuss this more tonight. I will keep you all updated, thank you for the opinions and support. It's been a stressful day for everyone I think, but I'm hoping it will have a happy ending.

Please make sure you are BOTH in agreement before deciding one way or another and think things through rationally, not emotionally. I would highly recommend taking your time and not rushing a decision. While I've never had any bite incidents with my sibe I will admit that shortly after we adopted our sibe, Dakota who was 2 yrs old at the time, from the shelter it was a living nightmare with one thing after the other. I was so frustrated and upset that I was adamant about taking him back to the shelter. I was literally ready to leash him up and drive down to the shelter when hubby sat me down to talk about it before I did anything rash. After giving me time to calm down, we had a heart to heart about the dog, the problems he was facing, his chances at a good future if we took him back (slim since he was overdue at an overcrowded kill shelter) and how committed we were to making things work. We ended up agreeing to keep him after much discussion, arguing and many tears and it's the best decision I could ever have made. It took the better part of at least 3 months if not more to really make a breakthrough with our sibe but things did get better and I can't imagine life without Dakota now, he is and always will be my heart dog...funny how far away that is from the nightmare I wanted to return to the shelter. All I can say is that I am so glad we took the time to think and talk over the course of a week before making any rash decisions about his future.

Just know that you have our support here regardless of your decision about Koda. :hugs:

Puppy
Puppy
shirl51

Female Join date : 2011-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Nikki I just noticed your foster Bodhi he is beautiful. I was watching the video on the internet of him Boy if Bob was physically able I would snatch him up in a moment. But 'sigh' Bob is still getting over his hip operation. Maybe one day I can get Bob a brother or sister.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm

I am willing to bet she felt threatened, as we had a similar situation occur with Delilah.

She had been given a bone, and we were unaware of her resource guarding. My hubby went over to grab the bone(yes, we now know this was a completely idiotic move) and Delilah started growling at Chris. Well, Chris is an idiot and decided he would hold her down to take the bone, don't worry I was bitching at him the whole time, and then she started flailing and put a huge gash in his face with her claw. Well, automatically he blames her and is insisting we get rid of her.

Of course, as you can assume, I am a mess about it, and refuse to get rid of my dog. He ignored her for weeks, and was pissed at me for my decision, but the girls on the site helped me through it and to find some way to train it out of her. Since then we use NILIF training and she is doing wonderfully. We don't give her bones, or a kong anymore and she doesn't guard her actual food or her toys. But she gets LOTS of treats, because aside from the little mishaps, she is a great dog.

If you are serious about Koda, forgive her and train her. You wouldn't write off a human for something of a similar nature, well at least I wouldn't, I would try to work through it. Don't shun her and don't hold it against her. Huskies are horrible with negative reinforcement. She knows she did something wrong, now it is your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Last edited by mheath0429 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:14 pm

I'm with Megan - some great points.

I have to weigh in here just to back everyone up. 6 days is nothing after all she's been through. NILIF training and some reading up for you and hubby are needed. It's not the dogs fault - please keep in mind she's a dog and not a human. Koda was not being "bad", she was being a dog. You're her protector and need to do what it takes to protect her - whether it be crating so she doesn't dig things up or get spooked by strangers.

This forum is here for you for advice and support - and please share any thoughts or questions you have so that we can all help you help Koda.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Wow, I just read your updates. I'm really sorry you are going through this.... Sad I know how you feel. I had very similar problems with my first husky. He was a resource guarder from day one and he was an overly dominant dog and also didn't know his place in "the pack" so it made him uneasy sometimes. I worked with him several times a day every day with his food and with toys/treats. he never really got any bones or rawhides because I knew of his guarding in the past. I had had a few severe incidences with him as he got older and I, not having any experience with a dominant or aggressive dog, really tried to work with him. He was stolen from me on June 5, and just a few weeks before he went missing we had a bad accident. I went to take off his harness and his leash after our run and I didn't realize that I had cornered him and he saw it as threatening and he acted out and lashed at me. He seriously cut up and bruised both hands and blood flew everywhere. It was totally my fault and I blame myself for it everyday. I was heartbroken and highly upset and he knew it. Other than the few occurrences we had, he was a GREAT dog and a husky to the core. I advise you to not give up on Koda, she seems like she has really helped you guys as well as Drake. Everyone here has given you great advice, and I agree with them that she felt threatened. Did you guys let her greet/meet the guy before he jumped on the floor and she ran over to him?

I hope you guys do decide to help Koda and work through it with her.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:54 pm

I learned this lesson the hard way as well with my cat, Dakota. It never even occurred to me to lock my cat up when the repair person came.The man was minding his own business doing his job when my punk cat went over to him and scratched him on the hand badly. It was deep and drew blood. I scooped up the cat and locked it in another room and apologized profusely to the man. He wasn't mad and finished the work and nothing more ever came of it. Except now I know to lock up any animal when a stranger is working at the house. Even a cat that normally snubs everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Koda has been very bad today :(   Koda has been very bad today :( Empty

Back to top Go down

Koda has been very bad today :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next