It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Crystals in urine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Snowflake20
Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

Male Join date : 2011-08-16

urine - Crystals in urine Empty
PostSubject: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Hey guys need some advise Durbin has a UTI and crystals in his urine. Hes had it for about a month now. I took him to the vet they gave him meds for ten days went back about 2 weeks later to check his urine and its worse! More crystals and more bactria. They put him back on the same meds and sent his urine to the lab to find out what he has and what meds to use. They want me to consider changing his food to hills or science diet. I do not want him on this food! Has anyone delt with crystals or stones? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Nira Sky
Puppy
Puppy
Nira Sky

Male Join date : 2012-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 pm

(taken from dog forum) Hope this helps....

Urolithiasis is a disease caused by the presence and effects of uroliths (stones) or claculi or excessive amounts of crystals in the urinary tract. The disease is referred to by many names, including cystitis, urethritis, urinary calculi, bladder stones, or kidney stones. As in humans, these stones and crystals can form anywhere in the urinary tract of the dog, including the kidney, urethra, or most commonly, the bladder. These crystals or stones irritate the lining of the urinary tract, causing changes in the lining, blood in the urine, and often pain. In some cases the crystals or stones will block or partially block the flow or urine, making urination painful or impossible. Crystaluria denotes the presence of crystals in the urine. Crystals form when minerals bind together. The bound crystals are not as soluble as the unbound form and may result in mineral deposits, much like the deposits commonly found in a teapot or coffee maker. Special diets work by reducing the mineral building blocks or urinary stones in the urine. These diets affect the urine pH and increase urination to help flush the urinary tract. To completely dissolve the stones takes 4-16 weeks, depending on the size and number of stones present. I suggest you follow your vet's advice. The alternative would be surgery which is much more expensive and more invasive on the dogs part.
Back to top Go down
Nira Sky
Puppy
Puppy
Nira Sky

Male Join date : 2012-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 pm

also, here is a very good article i found describing symptoms and such.

http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/bladder-stones-crystals/
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:48 pm

Has the vet done an xray of the bladder? When Embry had crystals they thought he had stones..
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:25 am

Kitty had issues with crystals and strange urine pH at one point too. A cranberry supplement and apple cider vinegar have done wonders for her! Cranberry helps to prevent bacteria from adhering to the urinary tract walls. I would stay away from science diet at all costs! It may fix the urine issues, but bad food might cause other issues further down the road. I would really give the cranberry and ACV a try. You can get ACV at most health food stores. Regular grocery stores may have it too. We buy our cranberry supplement online, but I think they may have some version of it at Petco or Petsmart.
Back to top Go down
Snowflake20
Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 12:36 pm

Jennet: No they have no done x rays yet. They are waitng for the tests to come back to see what type of bactria he has. Since the meds they gave him the first time did not work.

Melissa: Thats a great idea as well I was told by someone else to look into the cranberry supplements. Im not sure if you or anyone knows but do you think he would be fine if i gave him the cranberry supplements along with his anitbotics or should i wait tell hes off of them.

Also with switching foods has anyone heard anything on foods that worked well with dogs with crystals that arent prescription? I was also told that THK is a great choice for crystals. Thanks
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Melissa,
where are you taking durbin? have you tried calling dr. miller at rising sun? claudia and i use her and love her Smile

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 2:57 pm

There are plenty of non-prescription and non-Science Diet ways to alleviate crystals in the urine. However what type of crystals your pup has will determine what method you'll want to do.

My mother in law has a dog with a chronic urine crystal problem, I forget which type he has. She feeds him a low protein diet of mostly wet food (she alternates with THK, canned food, and/or homecooked food mixed with a small portion of low protein kibble), cranberry supplement, and ACV supplemented. Some things she does not do but should/could to help reduce the incidence of crystals is frequent potty trips (the longer the dog has to hold the urine the more likely crystals are to form) and encouraging the dog to drink lots of water (more water equals more urination and more dilute urine). You can encourage more water drinking by getting Durbin more exercise and/or adding a little bit of chicken or beef broth to the water bowl. I know whenever I add a little bit of chicken broth to my dogs' water bowl they never want to stop drinking!

Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:00 pm

Jen: I take Durbin to Fox Hollow in Lakewood. I have been wanting to change vets for awhile! I really didnt like their choice of hydrating him. They put a needle above his shoulder blade and fulled his loose skin with water. He like had a hump back and was leaking water! I heard this is not the best way to hydrate a dog. Where is Dr.Miller located?

Val: Thanks for the information I was waiting on you to respond you always have great advise! So i guess just wait and see what types of crystals he has? Im going to buy some THK or Sojo dehydrated dog food when i get off work tonight and see if that helps him since it has added moisture. I feed him TOTW wet and dry food. I will def. get some broth tonight. Do you know if the cranberry supplement will affect the antibotics hes on now?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:05 pm

http://risingsunanimalcare.com/

Rising Sun Animal Care
100 Spruce Street #106, Denver, CO 80230‎
(303) 577-0195

we love her and she does holistic stuff to. and comes to our meet ups Smile she has 2 huskies

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Snowflake20 wrote:
Jen: I take Durbin to Fox Hollow in Lakewood. I have been wanting to change vets for awhile! I really didnt like their choice of hydrating him. They put a needle above his shoulder blade and fulled his loose skin with water. He like had a hump back and was leaking water! I heard this is not the best way to hydrate a dog. Where is Dr.Miller located?

Actually that is a very good way to hydrate a dog. The bloodstream absorbs the fluids as needed. The results are the same as an IV catheter. You would need to do it more often when the fluid is absobed, but a very effective way to hydrate a dog.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Snowflake20 wrote:

Actually that is a very good way to hydrate a dog. The bloodstream absorbs the fluids as needed. The results are the same as an IV catheter. You would need to do it more often when the fluid is absobed, but a very effective way to hydrate a dog.

Yes giving subQ fluids is the preferred treatment in most cases of dehydration and something that can be done at home.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Snowflake20
Puppy
Puppy
Snowflake20

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Oh really humm interesting I heard from another vet that it was a bad way to hydrate and it hurts the dog bc it sits inbetween the skin.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Snowflake20 wrote:
Oh really humm interesting I heard from another vet that it was a bad way to hydrate and it hurts the dog bc it sits inbetween the skin.

Their skin and nerves aren't attached to the muscle like ours is, we give their vaccinations and medications SQ as well. If it hurt them, I'm sure they would let us know, especially the cats. I think that vet needs to go back to school lol It isn't given intradermally so it is not between the skin layers, it is in-between the skin and the muscle. I've worked at quite a few vet hospitals in my short career and the quickest and most efficient way to hydrate a dog, especially one that is in shock and we can't wait to put in a catheter, is SQ fluids.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Cranberry supplement should not affect the antibiotic he is on. I've given both antibiotics and cranberry supplaments at the same time with no issues. You could ask your vet just to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 11:48 pm

Snowflake20 wrote:
So i guess just wait and see what types of crystals he has? Im going to buy some THK or Sojo dehydrated dog food when i get off work tonight and see if that helps him since it has added moisture. I feed him TOTW wet and dry food. I will def. get some broth tonight.

Knowing what type of crystals will help you know best how to treat them. Although I think the aforementioned ideas will help regardless. Regardless of type, more water intake and frequent bathroom trips should help.

Snowflake20 wrote:
Do you know if the cranberry supplement will affect the antibotics hes on now?

I don't think the cranberry supplement should have an effect on the antibiotics.

PostSubject: Re: Crystals in urine   urine - Crystals in urine Empty

Back to top Go down

Crystals in urine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1