It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raven's dangly dew

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Hi all, just want to get some opinions from you about Raven's dew claw. If she was your dog would you have it removed?

Here is a few pics. Its on her left hind leg.
Raven's dangly dew IMAG0614

Raven's dangly dew IMAG0615

Raven's dangly dew IMAG0616
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Rear dews are normally more likely to get caught and ripped off. I have a lab named Weldon that just got his removed. So with that, yes, I would remove the rear ones for sure, I like to have all dews removed.

Like i normally put- not expert- just my opinion
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:26 pm

since it's so large and looks like it just hangs there, yes I would definitely get it removed before it gets snagged or ripped off.

My boy has a rear dew claw, but it's itty bitty and I will eventually get it removed once he's put under for his neuter.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:27 pm

thats when Weldon got his removed, while he was getting neutered
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:36 pm

If I decide to remove it it will be when she gets spayed.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Talk to your vet, get his/her opinion also, but best to do it same time. Also, ask how they will patch up the cuts, my vet used staples and I am not happy about that.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 pm

staples for the dew claws?? Did you ask why they chose those? And just keep an eye on her, especially when she's playing or when you guys go for walks to makes sure it doesn't get caught on anything. If it does, just temporarily bandage it and wrap it with vet wrap until you can get her in to the vet.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 pm

I am going to ask when I get the removed on friday, didn't know they used staples, the vet tech out front talked like it was stitches
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Be careful with Dew-claws. Some dew claws are attached to the bone - not just by skin and they can be very VERY painful. Though hers looks to be just attached to the skin but you can't be sure.

With any dew claw removal that isn't within the first 3 days of life - the dog will lick and bite at it as it heals. They can take a very long time to heal if you aren't watching the dog like a hawk (an e-collar won't stop a determined dog)

My Pyrenees had double dew claws on her hind legs that I never had them removed due to pain it would cause and I knew she wouldn't be zooming around everyday at 10 mph that could risk them getting caught and ripped off.

Raven's dangly dew Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:04 am

I have talked to my vet. She advised and warned that it isn't just a simple surgery and can in fact be quite involved. I know her opinion. I am not telling you hers or mine. I just wanted an unbiased opinion from some actual owners. I have joined a local sledding group and plan on being very active with her.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:05 am

Indy's is really small, and I can pull on it, twist it and it doesn't bother him (don't worry, it wasn't aggressive tugging! Wink ) so I know it's just hanging there by skin and blood tissue.

Raven's dangly dew 86aac228

I just trimmed his nails and nicked it a little too close /:
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 am

Then have it removed. Better to have it removed then have it ripped off out on a trail.

Though I'm not sure why it wasn't already removed O.o it's a fault to have rear dew claws on a Siberian only front ones are allowed.

Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:11 am

Oh I know, even with his boots on it still slips out some and I'm worried that it'll snag on a branch or some rough foliage. I am getting it removed when he gets neutered.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:12 am

It's weird seeing a Siberian with rear dew claws X_X

Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:16 am

I know! Indy was the first one I've ever seen with rear dew claws! I was pretty surprised lol. Like you said, most breeds' requirements don't allow rear dew claws, especially sibes.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:18 am

Yeah. The only breed I know of that requires and is severely penalized is Great Pyrenees. They HAVE to have double dew claws on their rear feet.

Very odd indeed. I just couldn't imagine putting the dog through that much pain though at spay/neuter time to get them removed Sad

Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:23 am

Yeah I know, but the way I see it is either have is removed with close to no complications or have it ripped or torn off...I'd rather have it surgically removed. Especially since Indy's is so small and doesn't bother him.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:29 am

Oh the HORROR! she's not to AKC standards WHATEVER shall I do!

Oh wait I DGAF!!!
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:31 am

paleobones wrote:
Oh the HORROR! she's not to AKC standards WHATEVER shall I do!

Oh wait I DGAF!!!

whoa, calm down. we weren't talking about your dog. We were talking about huskies in general. That was completely unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 am

A little high strung much? O.o

My bad. I'll be sure to never comment on a post of yours so I don't offend you with my general talking.

Have a good night.

Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:45 am

Who's mad? Don't be so sensitive and defensive. You guys were getting off topic I was just redirecting... with sarcasm.

She is an AKC puppy, I have no plans on showing her at all. And I wouldn't preform any kind of surgery on my dog for cosmetic reasons.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 am

Edited to add: ^Exactly - to what Niraya said.

Next time you're asking for advice, don't offend or attack the people trying to help you. LOL nice one. With that attitude you wont get any help around here. Next time instead of getting your panties in a twist, just think to consider that we obviously could care less that our dogs as well as yours are to the breed standard, because we love them for the dogs they are and are only trying to give them a better chance at good health by doing what we think is best for them. Have a great night, and good luck with your decision on the surgery.
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 am

Ah well I just thought you were trying to make a joke Katie so you made me laugh anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 12:56 am

I was making a joke. They both took it wrong which is their problem not mine.

Like i said don't be so sensitive
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:01 am

I'll come back to this:

Our conversation was actually still on topic as it was still about dew claws and surgery.
second of all - you want to be sarcastic, fine. Don't blow up and then claim sarcasm as text of any kind over the internet can be misinterpreted.

So unfortunately it was not only our fault for misinterpreting but it was YOUR fault for not clearly showing it as sarcasm. (lol is helpful, just an FYI)

Responsibility it not placing blame but owning up to mistakes. I'm sorry I misinterpreted what you said but again - you gave no indication that it was sarcasm or joking and text is hard to convey and it did seem in the way you wrote that you were blowing up.

I'm far from sensitive but I will return your "sarcasm" with "sarcasm" of my own. - it's one thing to ask for advice and another thing to blow up and then claim "joke" and "sarcasm" when people call you out on it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raven's dangly dew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raven's dangly dew   Raven's dangly dew Empty

Back to top Go down

Raven's dangly dew

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-