It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.  Empty
PostSubject: TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.    TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.  EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 5:17 am

Okay, our Dash man is 7 months old, we were re-located to Hawaii and due to their laws, he had to stay in a quarantine facility for a few months. We get him back next month. He has no health issues but the quarantine is standard for all animals if requirements aren't met and due to his age, all of those couldn't be met before we arrived here. Anyways, he is currently being fed 1 cup of food 3 times a day. We had him on California Naturals but the facility feeds the dogs Iams mini chunks for puppies. So that is what he is on right now. His care taker mentioned to us that he caught him eating his own stool one day. We were completely surprised as he had enver ever done this before and was actually extremely clean and woudn't go near his own poop after he had gone (of course we cleaned it) but occasionally there would be stoll left in the yard and he would avoid it like the plague. Well today we went to visit him and he ate a piece of his stool. I thought my husband was going to puke. Why is he doing this? Do you think he is hungry? He doesn't get excersize there, as he lives in a fence enclosed area about 10 feet long, 4 feet wide and 10 feet tall. HELP! We requested his food be increased to 1.5 cups 3 times a day as we are afraid he isn't getting enough food. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.    TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.  EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:36 am

Could be boredom and stress of the enclosure. I think every one of my dogs went through a phase of doing that. I wouldn't really worry about it until he's home and you can address it if he still does it. Personally I wouldn't add food if he's not getting the opportunity to burn it.
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
i<3neo

Female Join date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.    TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.  EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Is there no way they would feed him the food that you want to feed him? Iams is yuck food. I second that he is most likley bored and has nothing else to do.
Back to top Go down
mrshand214
Newborn
Newborn
mrshand214

PostSubject: Re: TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.    TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.  EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 5:49 pm

He had stool issues, ie: diahrea all the time, but his fecal tests were always negative and he never acted sick. After coming on this forum I thought it was probably a food issue. He was on Merrick from the vet but it wasn't working to correct the stool issue. Then we switched him to Blue but not the puppy formula, because I wasn't aware there was a puppy formula. After dealing with diahrea/loose stool for a long time we found him an all natural food called California Naturals Lamb and Rice. Low ingredients list & then we added this supplement from the Honest Kitchen called Firm Up and it was great! It corrected his stool issue and was firming up his stool but not to the point of looking like a brick. Well the quarantine facility will only feed them, they will not give them supplements or anything extra unless it is vet prescribed like a medicine. Such BS! So they said on the lamb and rice food he was having basically cow patties, ie: the loose stool again. So he ran out of food at the facility and they didnt call us, they just started feeding him their food which they tell us is the Iams mini chunks. Then they said his stool was firm and he was doing good on it. Well it costs us the same amount whether we buy food and bring it in or let them feed him their food. & since his stool was firm, despite the fact that Iams isn't a great food, we decided to leave him on it. Now his stool is like brick-rock hard. Ughh...I don't feel good about it. There is obv. something in the Iams that is firming up his stool but I can only imagine what it is. I am afraid my husband will pitch a fit if I want to switch him back to the Cali. Naturals witht he supplement but I feel that is better for him, ingredient wise ya know? Does that sound crazy of me? I want to give our dog the best we can! He only has a month left there in that cell, Thank God! Should we switch him back to the Cali. Naturals with the supplement? Anyone not familiar with the Honest Kitchen should deff. check into it. The supplement is all natural and he absolutely LOVED the cali. food with the supplement and gobbled it right up! Also, any tips on how I could convince my husband that Iams is not a good choice? Thanks ladies!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.    TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.  Empty

Back to top Go down

TMI; 7 month old male eating his own stool.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1