It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Part Wolf???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
beh46
Newborn
Newborn
beh46

Male Join date : 2012-02-08

wolf - Part Wolf??? Empty
PostSubject: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:39 am

Took Cyrus to the vet today for a routine checkup and to establish a regular vet since I just got him a couple weeks ago. When we got there the he commented on his size and markings and asked if I had papers for the dog which I did not he is a rescue just got some recent vaccination records. Anyway this vet commented on his appearance I guess he's much larger and has a different build the a "regular" husky and has certain tendencies that has led this vet to believe he is actually a husky wolf hybrid including the precaudal gland??. He still finished the checkup but stressed i look more into care of hybrids then huskies what do you think?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 am

I think he looks like a purebred wolf grey husky. Your vet doesn't sound like he knows his breeds very well (like most vets); I'm sure he'd think an agouti was full wolf lol If you haven't had any issues yet, then I wouldn't change how you are caring for him Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
beh46
Newborn
Newborn
beh46

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:32 am

haha thank you that picture came out a little off the lady at the rescue said he's sable but ya i wasn't thinking wolf either really. He does love little dogs and has some food aggression with women but otherwise no problems and not like those are tthings only a hybrid would have. Working on tracking down his original owner so I can get the full story on him. And about the vet ya he and alot of other people at the office were all about him being a hybrid ha so here's hoping you are right and he is wrong I have more faith in you lol
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 6:57 am

Amazing how even vets fall for the Walt Disney syndrome of wolves in movies being played by Huskies & Malamutes.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 9:11 am

+1 for Len Smile
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 am

In the book "Dog Sense" by John Bradshaw, he has a list of the breeds that are more like the ancient wild dogs (or less evolved from the original dogs, if you will). Guess who's #1! The Siberian Husky , of course. He includes things like the raising of the hackles as a test. Many breeds are unable to do that anymore. Pointy ears, long snout, tail...I forgot all the list, but the book was good to help me see that the things I look for when my dog is meeting another dog (for example), like hackles up or tail wagging, may not be able to even happen in other breeds.

This was kind of a hi-jacking... I think I said all that to really say that perhaps the Husky is one of the closest breeds to the wolf left in the world. Therefore, I have heard that there are domestic dogs that occasionally are found to have a precaudal gland. If any breed would have it, perhaps it would be the Husky based on my near hi-jack ramblings above!

Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:39 am

beh46 wrote:
Took Cyrus to the vet today ... When we got there the he commented on his size and markings and ... this vet commented on his appearance I guess he's much larger and has a different build the a "regular" husky and has certain tendencies that has led this vet to believe he is actually a husky wolf hybrid including the precaudal gland??

Siberian huskies come in a variety of shapes and sizes when you consider how many different lines there are and especially considering how many are from BYB's. Even excellent, reputable breeders breed for different things in their lines/kennels and can have very differently structured and looks than other reputable kennels. Even the precaudal gland is present in some dogs so that is not something that should automatically indicate part wolf. Wink I think Cyrus looks pure husky.

hypers987 wrote:
Your vet doesn't sound like he knows his breeds very well (like most vets)

I would tend to agree with this.

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 10:52 am

Ooh. I get very testy and confrontational when anyone puts the 'w' word to my dogs. For me it's a paranoia based on how much freedom law agencies have when dealing with wolf dogs. At least around here they can be seized and euthanized without your consent or knowledge until after the fact when you get fined and billed for their work. Your dog doesn't look wolf to me, and I would make sure those words never make it to paper with the vet.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:54 am

harrise wrote:
Ooh. I get very testy and confrontational when anyone puts the 'w' word to my dogs. For me it's a paranoia based on how much freedom law agencies have when dealing with wolf dogs. At least around here they can be seized and euthanized without your consent or knowledge until after the fact when you get fined and billed for their work. Your dog doesn't look wolf to me, and I would make sure those words never make it to paper with the vet.

+1 for Eddy!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
beh46
Newborn
Newborn
beh46

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

ya we have the same rules here about owning a hybrid being illegal. He only put down on the papers i got after the visit that he was a healthy husky mix but in no way distinguished what breeds were involved but i thank you for all the reassurance about him really being a husky haha
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I volunteer with wolf hybrids. He doesn't look a thing like a wolf hybrid. Here in California you can own one with a content of 50% or less. I get pissed when I see posts about seizing them without their knowledge. My friend races with 8 wolf hybrids, and wouldn't harm a fly. I don't understand how you can take it away without the owners consent, If it never harmed anyone. Most hybrids aren't mean and half of them are big cuddle bugs! It is bad owners that give them a bad name. I get it up here all the time wolf. I go no here is some AKC paperwork 100% alaskan malamute. Gosh I hate BSL!

This one is only 25% content

wolf - Part Wolf??? Lilly%2520002

we have to keep them away from our children

wolf - Part Wolf??? Bay%2520area%2520wolfdog%25201%2520DSC04511

Last edited by norbreedslove on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I did my research on hybrids, because I was thinking about getting one. I volunteered before getting one. Realized wow they are more stubborn than malamutes. Sorry if this sounds like I am frustrated, I just hate that some states put a label on them. I am sorry all dogs come from wolves.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:08 pm

For those with FB here's a sanctuary, very beautiful animals.

https://www.facebook.com/yamnuskawolfdogsanctuary
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

I love wolfies! Smile wolf - Part Wolf??? 404944_237441173015166_110600059032612_498784_1641553350_n

I love this one!!!

Last edited by norbreedslove on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 pm

I saw a pic once of a toddler who had their head entirely inside a hybrid's mouth. The look on the dogs face was priceless. It looked totally bored!

I wish I could find that pic again!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:15 pm

hahaha thats funny. Peta would not like that one. The rescue up here go to schools and people pet the dogs. They are very friendly. They debilitate the dogs.

Here is some FAQ from the rescue!

How to tell the difference?

The difference between a wolf and a dog are vast depending on the breed of a dog. However, the Northern breeds such as Malamutes and Huskies that come somewhat close to the physical appearance of wolves can be differentiated by their looks, their mannerisms, the way they move to how they sound. A simple list of differences are noted as such:

Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs run differently than dogs. They have a special gait about them.
Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs are timid by nature.
Until a human is accepted by them, they prefer to keep their distance.
Wolves and/or high content wolf dogs have larger feet, longer legs than dogs and a large, broad skull than most dogs. Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs have long, narrow muzzles.
The intelligence of a wolf is more often than not, vastly superior to dogs.
Wolves instincts are leaps and bounds greater than that of dogs and they can size-up situations and people much faster than dogs.
Wolves and/or high content wolf-dogs have straight tails.

Are they aggressive toward other animals or people?

No. Wolves will run before they attack. Some wolves will not even fight back or defend themselves when they’re under attack. Others may attack if they’re cornered but man would do the same thing when his life is in danger. The probability of a human being attacked from a Chihuahua is far greater than a human being attacked by a wolf. Our wolves live with a cat and are housebroken.

Are they legal to own?

The legalities for owning wolves and wolf-dogs depend on the state, county and city that you reside in. We strongly suggest that you do some thorough checking where you to live to make sure that you’re within your rights to own one.

What do they eat?

Our rescues eat dog food. A high protein works well for them. An example would be Natural Balance’s Duck and Sweet Potato.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:16 pm

I love that you always have these "fact sheets"! They make me happy!!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:19 pm

I like to show people, I do my research. I did this before I got maggie. I made pros and cons of owning a malamute. lol
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:23 pm

beh46 wrote:
haha thank you that picture came out a little off the lady at the rescue said he's sable but ya i wasn't thinking wolf either really. He does love little dogs and has some food aggression with women but otherwise no problems and not like those are tthings only a hybrid would have. Working on tracking down his original owner so I can get the full story on him. And about the vet ya he and alot of other people at the office were all about him being a hybrid ha so here's hoping you are right and he is wrong I have more faith in you lol

actually wolf hybrids aren't meant to be aggressive, only bad owners made them this way. My friend fostered one and it was more well behaved than huskies. Even the ones I worked with were the sweetest things ever. I hate the label being put on them.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:25 pm

I can honestly say I didn't do any research before I got Kya, but I have done LOADS since then!!

We are looking into the raw diet right now Smile
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 pm

I used to do raw. I can give you some groups on facebook that can help you. It got to pricy for me. They said it was cheaper than kibble, but on the long run kibble was cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I think we are just going to do a partial raw, giving her meat 3 or 4 times a week for now. I think it would get to expensive as well but we are going to try. I already give all of my dogs eggs, veggies and livers, so it wouldn't be a huge change for them
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:49 pm

ya thats true. Are you going to give kibble with it or just straight meat?
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:54 pm

I haven't decided that yet. I am still researching it. I normally mix their "goodies" with kibble but IDK yet.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:03 pm

oh okay. To continue with the wolfies.......look at all these babies!

wolf - Part Wolf??? 395631_333980803301481_208635945835968_1075659_1648814262_a
wolf - Part Wolf??? 420380_333980499968178_208635945835968_1075657_2003368608_a
wolf - Part Wolf??? 401409_328598837173011_208635945835968_1059408_1712463897_n

and this I really love this

wolf - Part Wolf??? 406081_199215533501221_141967962559312_391770_2060935195_a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Part Wolf???   wolf - Part Wolf??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Part Wolf???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top