It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Tartar on teeth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

teeth - Tartar on teeth Empty
PostSubject: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Should a 2 1/2 yr old sibe have tartar on their teeth already? Aspen has tartar on her teeth and Dakota never got tartar until he was much older. Willow has none at 1 1/2. I'm wondering if she is older than stated. She is awefully calm for a 2/12 year old as well.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 4:25 pm

I was just telling Kristina at the meet up that Kody has some tartar building up on the back teeth. He's Willow age. It's not bad, but there's some. Mya has it though. Thinking she might need a dental cleaning in the next year or so. I bought them toothbrushes and doggie toothpaste. Kody lets me do it, but Mya only lets me do the front. I also bought that dental stuff that Len suggested for their water. I have the PetzLife gel, but Mya won't go for that either. Ughh!!!
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 6:24 pm

I've been wondering this about our other dog, who is three. I give them dentastix but I think I need to get some doggie toothpaste.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 pm

I've been using the Dental Fresh Advanced Plaque & Tartar and it has made a difference in Adobo's back teeth in the short time we've been using it. I wanted to order the gallon size bottle but it seems they have only the 17 oz. size for the Advanced formula at this time. (I did send an email asking, waiting on reply)

http://synergylabs.com/index.php?product=new-dental-fresh-advanced-plaque-tartar-17-3-oz-3/
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Most the vet's around my area are offering 15-20% off dental cleanings (they said because it's the slow months) so you should check to see if you're vet is offering it too! Smile

My pups breeder had literally 50 Huskies (from pups to seniors) and all had sparkling white teeth! I asked her what her secret was, and she said to just give a marrow bone every few weeks and it keeps their teeth clean. She claimed to never brush them or take them to get cleaned, the bones did all the work.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Ginger is prone to tartar build up and we did one dental cleaning when we first adopted her because her teeth were really bad! Brown teeth - BAD! But after that first dental cleaning, we have not had to have her teeth cleaned yet. We're lucky that she lets us bruth her canines and front teeth, but her back teeth we've managed to keep them clean with Zukes Z Bones, marrow bones and himalayan chews. Those are about the only 'bones' she likes. We haven't had to get her teeth cleaned since August 2010.

Storm loves all bones. So keeping his teeth clean isn't much of an issue, and we've gotten him to like his enzymime beef flavored toothpaste, so now he lets us brush his teeth too. But we keep his back teeth with Zukes Z Bones, and himalayan chews, and marrow bones. We haven't had to do a dental cleaning on him once since we adopted him in April 2011.

Rawhides, or any chews that they will gnaw on with their back teeth will help scrub their back teeth.

Storm used to run outside when we pulled out his red toothbrush! But, we were able to get him trained to let us brush his teeth but finding that beef flavored toothpaste - make sure it's enzyme toothpaste. We started out by putting toothpaste on the toothbrush, and letting him smell it. Eventually, he would lick the toothpaste off the toothbrush. In between getting him used to the toothbrush and toothpaste, we would mess with his mouth by checking his front teeth (without the toothbrush in our hands). We'd lift his lip up so we can touch his front teeth with our finger. Once he got used to that, we would show his toothbrush with toothpaste - at this point, he thought it was treat, and then we'd lift his lip up and started to brush his teeth and then lick the toothpaste off the toothbrush....we kept this up until we could brush all his front teeth and canines.

Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 10:33 pm

When using the marrow bones do you boil them first or just give it to them raw
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 10:38 pm

I buy the frozen raw marrow bones and give it to them frozen. Ginger will lick out all the marrow and gnaw on the bone for a little while. Storm will clean his bone until there's nothing left...then he'll clean Ginger's bone....you can give it to them raw, but they'll get the marrow out really fast. Also, if they're not used to raw marrow, they may have a little soft stool. Since the marrow is rich and fatty, I would recommend about once a week at the most.

Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 10:41 pm

I buy mine frozen as well and just give it to him straight out the freezer (last longer).

You can go to you're butcher and buy fresh and freeze them before giving them to you're pup (those are usually cheaper).
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 10:43 pm

I will try that. My 2 have tarter build up on the back teeth they really do not like brushing at all. We give them dental sticks to chew on but it's not helping anymore.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 11:58 pm

iceblulady wrote:
We give them dental sticks to chew on but it's not helping anymore.
Have you tried Zukes Z Bones? Or himalayan chews? Those 2 works great for my 2 especially Ginger who is more prone to tartar build up.

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 12:34 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
I've been using the Dental Fresh Advanced Plaque & Tartar and it has made a difference in Adobo's back teeth in the short time we've been using it. I wanted to order the gallon size bottle but it seems they have only the 17 oz. size for the Advanced formula at this time. (I did send an email asking, waiting on reply)

http://synergylabs.com/index.php?product=new-dental-fresh-advanced-plaque-tartar-17-3-oz-3/

Yes, this stuff! We started using it about two weeks ago. Lets see how it goes.

I need to stock up on the frozen marrow bones too! Haven't bought them in a while silent
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 5:24 pm

cmanding wrote:
I buy the frozen raw marrow bones and give it to them frozen. Ginger will lick out all the marrow and gnaw on the bone for a little while. Storm will clean his bone until there's nothing left...then he'll clean Ginger's bone....you can give it to them raw, but they'll get the marrow out really fast. Also, if they're not used to raw marrow, they may have a little soft stool. Since the marrow is rich and fatty, I would recommend about once a week at the most.

Claudia is there a local store that carries these things or have you only found them online?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 5:33 pm

I get the frozen marrow bones from Chuck and Don's - if you sign up for their rewards program, you get a rebate check every quarter which is between 2% and 4% of what you spent - the more you spend the more you get back.

You could also check your local grocery store and ask the butcher if they have beef marrow bones - then just freeze them.

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm

I kinda figured Chuck and Don's would be the place. Smile I'm eagerly waiting for the Aurora store to open so I don't have to drive all the way to the Shops at Southglenn. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Are you closer to the Cherry Creek store?

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Yes, but we couldn't find it the one time we tried getting their from the Lowry Dogpark. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:17 pm

If you know where Whole Foods is in Cherry Creek, it's across the street in the strip mall place, next to Christy Sport.

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Maybe I'll have to make a special trip alone...hubby gets impatient when he can't see it directly from the street and is in unfamiliar territory.. Smile
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Do the original kongs help with tartar as well? I know that they have the dental kongs, but I don't have those Sad
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 3:53 am

I have been terrible to say the least w kiaras teeth, she snot even 3 and has tarter... With teeth cleaning do they put them under? I assume cause there is no way she would stay still and with sharp objects... I don't know I have never had a dogs teeth professionally done.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:01 am

you can get doggy toothpaste and tooth brushes. There are also things on the market to help clean the teeth as they chew.

I do believe they put them under for teeth cleaning, but dont quote me on it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 4:03 am

My rescue had teeth so bad when I got her that 2 of them had to be pulled. She also had terrible tarter build up. I give her a denta-bone a day and all the plaque is practically gone and I havnt brushed her teeth once.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:00 am

I believe most vet put dogs under for teeth cleaning.. I had my old dog's teeth clean several times and my vet put her under.

Blaze has great looking teeth but Kerian's have tarter I was thinking about getting her teeth clean sometime then brushing them a few times a week.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 am

Delilah has tarter and we are pretty sure she is only 2, the vet agrees. We want to do cleaning, I priced it out around 200 (plus our 25% discount, thank you Pet Assure) so it ends up at 150. She just got spayed in August and I don't know if I am ready to put her under again so soon. We brush her teeth but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. We did get the Petzlife spray and I am going to try that.

Claudia, which of the 3 bones do you think helped the most? I'm nervous about the marrow bones because of Delilahs history with resource guarding, but she does fine with Antlers and the Blue Buffalo Dental Bones. Would himalayan be a good choice? and how long do they hold up?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tartar on teeth   teeth - Tartar on teeth Empty

Back to top Go down

Tartar on teeth

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next