It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Wolf Husky Pups

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 pm

I really don't want to repeat what I said in the other wolf hybrid post...

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t4007-part-wolf?highlight=wolf

The reason I don't have one is the training issues not the aggression or turning.

Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:44 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
There is breeders out there that are good, but the slim chances of actually finding a good pup.
By the sheer fact that they breed wolf hybrids, they are NOT reputable. Don't get confused. Someone who "loves their dogs, gives them a health guarantee, and only breeds healthy dogs responsibly" is STILL breeding a wolf or wolf mix to a dog just to call it a "wolf hybrid," sell it, and make money. That is NOT reputable.

Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
I really don't want to repeat what I said in the other wolf hybrid post...

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t4007-part-wolf?highlight=wolf

The reason I don't have one is the training issues not the aggression or turning.

I understand your experiences don't support it, but that doesn't change the experience that I have either.

We used to have a woman on here who worked with a wolf sanctuary and hybrid rescue in West Virginia (I think it was). The fact remains that you are taking a WILD animal and trying to domesticate it. ANY wild animal (think chimps or feral cats) have an increased urgency to fight or flight. While a wolf "may be more likely to run from a human" the fact is that they are simply NOT COMFORTABLE around humans. They may run 9 times out of 10, but that doesn't mean they won't fight back just once. It takes DECADES to successfully breed instinct... and that's what domesticated dogs are and what they do. Why are people trying to start the process over again? For looks? THAT is my point. Why are you messing with nature? I'd say the SAME THING to someone looking to have a monkey or any other exotic animal as a pet.

Back to top Go down
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Quote :
By the sheer fact that they breed wolf hybrids, they are NOT reputable. Don't get confused. Someone who "loves their dogs, gives them a health guarantee, and only breeds healthy dogs responsibly" is STILL breeding a wolf or wolf mix to a dog just to call it a "wolf hybrid," sell it, and make money. That is NOT reputable.

I completely agree! There is no reason to breed them that I can think of, aside from being able to say that one owns a wolf-dog.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I respect your opinion, however I have never seen that happen. I like what you have to say, I think it is very important to hear how each person feels about the breeders. This is just how I feel, I based my opinions on experiences, and research. I don't go by what stories I have heard. Now do I recommend a high content no. Why would you wan an F1 (first generation) wolf. If you want one just for the looks then yes for a mixed dog, for me if you want the personality etc then go for a wolf hybrid. Its a case by case situation. One hybrid may be too wild and one may be fine. All dogs are case by case to me, regardless of having wolf or not. I want to make that apparent that this is what I believe, I don't want to argue and make this a drama post, I don't want to happen!
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:07 pm

I am sorry for stating that, I just want to be clear. My big mouth gets me in trouble. lol
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:09 pm

You guys know I don't care for breeding until the over population is under control. I don't see much difference in breeding hybrids versus say a labradoddle.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:12 pm

I believe that each dog needs to be looked at case by case too, but there is still no reason to breed them, they're just another "designer dog."
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
You guys know I don't care for breeding until the over population is under control. I don't see much difference in breeding hybrids versus say a labradoddle.
'

My parents own a schnoodle. Sad but they rescued him as a puppy. He is maggie's best friend okay!!!!!!! lol Razz
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
I respect your opinion, however I have never seen that happen. I like what you have to say, I think it is very important to hear how each person feels about the breeders. This is just how I feel, I based my opinions on experiences, and research. I don't go by what stories I have heard.
And I respect your opinion. However, just because you've never seen it happen, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen either. Just because I've never owned a puppy who needs to pee once every few hours doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

This is based on my research too. Google wolf hybrids and aggression. It exists... and ABSOLUTELY each dog is a case-by-case basis... but that's also exactly why it's so risky. The scariest part is that many dogs don't exhibit their "wolf-like" behavior until after the age of 2... and often that behavior becomes fight, or flight.

Nothing is a guarantee... that is what makes it a risk. In my mind, it's too dangerous of a risk to take.

Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm

I respect that, Thank you for your post. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:45 am

This thread made me do some research on hybrid rescue and this seems like a great group!

http://www.howlingwoods.org/index.html

These dog's are absolutely gorgeous and such a shame people buy/breed them and just throw them away once they figure out how much of a handful they are. Sad
Back to top Go down
Mermaidista
Teenager
Teenager
Mermaidista

Female Join date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 1:35 am

WOW! What is this? Wolf-Hybrid Month? LOL

I feel for any wolf hybrid that needs rescue...but they shouldn't even be bred period. I wouldn't think any wolf hybrid breeder is reputable or good. There is too great a chance the offspring would exhibit more wolf-like traits, which you definitely wouldn't want to make a house dog out of, the poor thing would be miserable.

Casey, if you find the wolf hybrids intriguing, I encourage you to look into the Native American Dog. Which is not at ALL part wolf. Kim LaFlamme is an expert on that breed, which is as ancient as the Siberians are. And very similar in personality. You could probably rescue one of those as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://seaside.scentsy.us
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

Female Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 am

Do lots and lots of research on them if you decide you still want one. I have two and, after owning them, I probably would never have a different kind of dog. They can be a lot of trouble, but mine are very sweet and love to be around us. Mine are even amazing with children (and cats).
But such as was stated earlier- it's case by case, not by breed.
The people at wolfhuskypups.com are pretty helpful to talk to. I know several people around me who breed also so they're my go-to's when I have questions.
Back to top Go down
http://hybridhearts.tumblr.com
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:32 am

I just can't see how breeding these hybrids is in any way beneficial or productive.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
huskies81
Puppy
Puppy
huskies81

Male Join date : 2012-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 1:32 pm

This is a wolf / mal mix. I have children and there is no way i would ever have one in my home!!! This guy was a friendly as it gets at the park and the owner says he is always that way. One bite and someone is on there way to the ER. Or your putting one of your children in the ground!!! How do they know the % of wolf to dog?? Im going to call bullshit on that. Oh yea thats a full grown bullmastiff in the picture with us. The mix was around 150lbs or so. I thought it was awesome at first, then watched a documentary "I know my spelling sucks, Kansas raised sorry!" on taiming wolves compaired to dogs. Didnt go the way i thought it would. Im not claiming to know anything on this, but please look at the size of this mix. When a dog turns or gets in a fight and you have to pull him off normally you get bit too!

Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 IMG957853
Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 IMAG0019
Back to top Go down
shirl51
Puppy
Puppy
shirl51

Female Join date : 2011-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:23 pm

all I can say is WOW I did not know they were that huge. The sibes look like babies compare to the Wolf Husky. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Erinc
Teenager
Teenager
Erinc

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm

wow, impressive!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Probably crossed with a giant Mal, they are that big to begin with.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
huskies81
Puppy
Puppy
huskies81

Male Join date : 2012-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:16 pm

yes it was crossed with a mal, funny thing is it used to be owned by a small korean family! It was bigger than most of them. Thats not a joke, im being totaly serious.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:27 pm

holy crap that dogs freaking huge!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Quote :
How do they know the % of wolf to dog??
You determine the percentage of wolf to dog by how many breedings have been done since wolf was introduced into the line and what kind of contents your breeding now - from my understanding.

The further away from the original wolf introduction into the line and the more you breed down the less content wolfdog you'll end up with. (that's really basic and not very clear and not at all correct but an idea)

Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 am

That wolfdog is enormous! Thanks for sharing the photo.

I think you're right Ceara. The percentages are confusing though. It makes more sense to talk of low-, mid- or high-content. Suppose you breed a dog with a wolf; the result is 50% wolf. If you breed two such wolfdogs together, in theory the result is also 50% wolf, but in practice, because the genetic assortment is random, it could be anywhere from a low content to a high content depending which genes it's inherited. Different pups from the same litter would likely have different numbers of wolf vs dog genes. So most of the time you can't be precise about percentage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 1:30 am

Ghost wrote:
That wolfdog is enormous! Thanks for sharing the photo.

I think you're right Ceara. The percentages are confusing though. It makes more sense to talk of low-, mid- or high-content. Suppose you breed a dog with a wolf; the result is 50% wolf. If you breed two such wolfdogs together, in theory the result is also 50% wolf, but in practice, because the genetic assortment is random, it could be anywhere from a low content to a high content depending which genes it's inherited. Different pups from the same litter would likely have different numbers of wolf vs dog genes. So most of the time you can't be precise about percentage.

Thanks! Very Happy
Yeah the percentages are really hard and I don't think you'll ever have a spot on percentage for the mix (i.e. 73%). It's just easier with the description low, mid and high because the percent ranges are a given, basically/roughly.

It would be something like F1 obviously will be high content (within the 90% range) - then if you breed that F1 to another wolfdog, but that dog is say a third gen mid content - the pups will be anywhere from say 50-80%. Then you do a breeding from that litter to say a 5th gen mid-low. Well that litter will obviously be getting the low end of mid and becoming low contents by that litter or the next so maybe 30-60%? Any breeding then from that litter to a mid/low would then be the low contents (ideally) so ~25% which more often than not have NO physical wolf characteristics. This obviously doesn't factor introducing high contents back in or actual wolves into the line. This would just be someone who wants to breed lows (eventually).

(The range in percents I left because each individual pup can be from one end of the percent spectrum [low] and another could be the polar opposite [higher])

Those are also in no way actual numbers (I really just pulled them out to give a general idea) - just hopefully to give maybe a little more clarification/understanding.

Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

Female Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:47 am

I just wanted to add that once you get 5 generations from the wolf, they are considered a dog and not a hybrid. (I had to do a lot of research on laws and genetics to prove to my family that we weren't breaking the law)

And if you want a wolf mainly for the coloring, I'd invest in an agouti husky. They look the same!
Back to top Go down
http://hybridhearts.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wolf Husky Pups   Wolf Husky Pups - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wolf Husky Pups

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next